The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm wasting my time when I should be at a better university

I finished my A-levels with A*A*A* but cause of awful gces, little confidence and bad home so no unable to take a gap year I went to a "good" AAA entry requirements uni without trying for anywhere better.

I know it sounds arrogant but it is so ****ing easy... I averaged 90% first year and I think I've done just as well this year. I wouldn't care apart from at the end of the it I'm not going to graduate with 90%, I'm going to graduate with a "first" along with probably a third of the people here.

It feels like I'm wasting my time to not actually show my potential, I expect I could really half-arse it and get 70% and thats the highest grade you can get. God knows why they can't standardise the degrees everywhere so it actually makes trying your best worth it.

Is there anything I can do apart from just stay bitter about it lol?
Original post by bhhjbvhjb
I finished my A-levels with A*A*A* but cause of awful gces, little confidence and bad home so no unable to take a gap year I went to a "good" AAA entry requirements uni without trying for anywhere better.

I know it sounds arrogant but it is so ****ing easy... I averaged 90% first year and I think I've done just as well this year. I wouldn't care apart from at the end of the it I'm not going to graduate with 90%, I'm going to graduate with a "first" along with probably a third of the people here.

It feels like I'm wasting my time to not actually show my potential, I expect I could really half-arse it and get 70% and thats the highest grade you can get. God knows why they can't standardise the degrees everywhere so it actually makes trying your best worth it.

What are you studying?

What are your career plans? If you plan to take a Masters, you can use your degree to apply for courses which you would consider to be more interesting and challenging to you. At the same time as your studies, have you made time to concentrate on your career development e.g. volunteering, related work experience/internships, part time work, extracurricular activities? When it comes to applying to graduate roles, employers will be looking for well rounded skills who have the potential or already possess the practical skills to do the job, as well as your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
What are you studying?

What are your career plans? If you plan to take a Masters, you can use your degree to apply for courses which you would consider to be more interesting and challenging to you. At the same time as your studies, have you made time to concentrate on your career development e.g. volunteering, related work experience/internships, part time work, extracurricular activities? When it comes to applying to graduate roles, employers will be looking for well rounded skills who have the potential or already possess the practical skills to do the job, as well as your degree.

Chemistry. Yes I'm doing loads of extracurricular stuff already although thanks for suggesting it.
What university?You can always do your masers somewhere else or try for a transfer.

Maybe play loads of sport or get a part time job if you're bored. If you're finding it easy then great but you shouldn't waste your time.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous1502
What university?You can always do your masers somewhere else or try for a transfer.

I'd rather not say cause could easily be identified. Just bog standard good russell group, and yeah know I can do a masters but that's going to cost a lot.
Going to a another university can be done after you ace the undergraduate - you may as well get the first - and then doing masters at a better uni (even the ones that declined you) is pretty much viable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending