The Student Room Group

Maths issue - I'm feeling really disheartened

So I just got back from my Paper 2 Maths exam and whilst it wasn't the worst thing in the world, I found the questions to be quite hard. I often find in Maths exams that my knowledge isn't lacking at all - and I can do literally everything in the syllabus, as long as I recognize where to apply it. However, there were several times in the exam where I wasn't sure how to approach the question, and figure out where to start and what to do so I couldn't even start to answer it.

I put an absolute ton of effort into revising for Maths as I want to take it for A level, however the exam has really knocked my confidence, and I'm contemplating taking it for A level. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach questions which when you first read them, you aren't sure how to approach it? I'm feeling pretty disheartened, so I'd appreciate any advice and whether you think Maths is for me :frowning:

Scroll to see replies

It was fine
For the number of cups i got 8
For the ratio of the areas of the circle i got 100:81 or 81:100 one of them
For the ratio of e to f i got either 5:6 or 6:5
For the circle theorem question i got 75 degrees
For the angle at the base i got 31 degrees
For the number of large yellow cubes i got 35
For how much money Ben gets i got 168 pounds
For the vector i got 2a
For the last question I got 4
I got 1.1 for the gradient if the graph
I wrote it represents the velocity
For the distance travelled i got a crazy number like 555
For the error interval i got 8.25 and 8.35
For the perimeter i got 25.4 m
Original post by iloveitcoco
It was fine
For the vector i got 2a

I do AQA GCSE higher Maths so those answers must be foundation or a different spec. Also, this really doesn't help by flaunting your answers in front of me -_-
Original post by Huckipity
I do AQA GCSE higher Maths so those answers must be foundation or a different spec. Also, this really doesn't help by flaunting your answers in front of me -_-

lmao tell em
but dw, you have the motivation, i guess you just need to build the application side of it. maths a level is more structured than lower years, at least in my experience. You get set books, loads and LOADSSSSS of resources. If logic and work ethic is on your side, there should be no problem at all.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kangaroo17
lmao tell em
but dw, you have the motivation, i guess you just need to build the application side of it. maths a level is more structured than lower years, at least in my experience. You get set books, loads and LOADSSSSS of resources. If logic and work ethic is on your side, there should be no problem at all.

Hopefully, because there's literally no other subject I'd take instead of Maths
Reply 5
It was fine
For the vector i got 2a

The gradient represents the rate of change of the speed
The error interval was 8.3 and 8.4 I saw a question like that before the exam so
It was fine
For the vector i got 2a
Reply 7
I do edexcel and this happened to me after paper 1- I think I got below what I expected to get so I was really disheartened as I need a 5/6 in maths

For this paper I sort of went back to the basics (with trig etc) looked at key formulae and did did about 12 papers over the May half term to improve my exam technique

I then used just maths to practice some hard application questions and I got better at those

In the paper itself I made sure I was calm before it, I looked at the questions carefully, avoided panicking and it went really well
So I just got back from my Paper 2 Maths exam and whilst it wasn't the worst thing in the world, I found the questions to be quite hard. I often find in Maths exams that my knowledge isn't lacking at all - and I can do literally everything in the syllabus, as long as I recognize where to apply it. However, there were several times in the exam where I wasn't sure how to approach the question, and figure out where to start and what to do so I couldn't even start to answer it.

I put an absolute ton of effort into revising for Maths as I want to take it for A level, however the exam has really knocked my confidence, and I'm contemplating taking it for A level. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach questions which when you first read them, you aren't sure how to approach it? I'm feeling pretty disheartened, so I'd appreciate any advice and whether you think Maths is for me :frowning:

Don’t worry! You’ve got another paper. It’s the reason there’s 3: they have to balance it out. Revise the topics you found difficult and ratio without a doubt. You will be absolutely fine x
Reply 9
That’s truncation

It didn’t tell you that the number was truncated
Original post by Subhaan1231
The error interval was 8.3 and 8.4 I saw a question like that before the exam so

Can’t you square root both sides to get 10:9?
Reply 11
Wait until results day - you probably did better than you think as long as you wrote answers for all questions to get some method marks. That all that maths is about nowadays, they design the papers to be very difficult to test whether you give up or manage to have a go and gain some method marks.
If you get grade 7 or above you should definitely take it. Even if you get a grade 6 but still really want to do it then I don't see why not.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Can’t you square root both sides to get 10:9?

I don't think so, normally the only way to simplify a ratio is by dividing it by a common factor - however i'm not too sure what the question was so 10:9 might be fine but generally square rooting a ratio will change the ratio completely e.g. 4:9 is not the same as 2:3
Original post by Becca216
I don't think so, normally the only way to simplify a ratio is by dividing it by a common factor - however i'm not too sure what the question was so 10:9 might be fine but generally square rooting a ratio will change the ratio completely e.g. 4:9 is not the same as 2:3

That was literally my thought process, but I started second guessing 😂. Ah well, I’ll lose a mark but I wrote 100:81 in my working so hopefully it’s OK 👌🏽. Thanks :hugs:

I was literally in the same position as you after paper 1, I would like to study maths next year and I need a grade 8 to do so. In practice tests I have been getting 8s or 9s and occasionally 7s, however, I came out f paper 1 and felt so ****, people were telling me the right answers - none of which i'd got. This lead to me having multiple (about 6/7) panic attacks over the next week or so because I worried I couldn't study what I wanted to for a-level. I know how **** you must be feeling and I know how hard it is to stop feeling **** but you just need to tell yourself there is 3 maths papers so if you mess up on 1 you've still got another 2 AND a couple of GCSE papers shouldn't make you feel stupid, sometimes the questions go your way sometimes they don't, it's life. The best thing is to talk to one of your teachers as they know you and your ability best and they may be able to judge how well you'd cope with a-level maths.

JUST PLEASE DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP ABOUT THIS ONE PAPER. I did that with my previous maths paper and t doesn't help, focus on the exam you have tomorrow and you can sort out you a-level options later.
Original post by Becca216
I was literally in the same position as you after paper 1, I would like to study maths next year and I need a grade 8 to do so. In practice tests I have been getting 8s or 9s and occasionally 7s, however, I came out f paper 1 and felt so ****, people were telling me the right answers - none of which i'd got. This lead to me having multiple (about 6/7) panic attacks over the next week or so because I worried I couldn't study what I wanted to for a-level. I know how **** you must be feeling and I know how hard it is to stop feeling **** but you just need to tell yourself there is 3 maths papers so if you mess up on 1 you've still got another 2 AND a couple of GCSE papers shouldn't make you feel stupid, sometimes the questions go your way sometimes they don't, it's life. The best thing is to talk to one of your teachers as they know you and your ability best and they may be able to judge how well you'd cope with a-level maths.

JUST PLEASE DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP ABOUT THIS ONE PAPER. I did that with my previous maths paper and t doesn't help, focus on the exam you have tomorrow and you can sort out you a-level options later.

Thanks, this really helped. I guess looking back I still got quite a lot right, (I think) and I should hopefully get some working out marks for some questions.
Thanks, this really helped. I guess looking back I still got quite a lot right, (I think) and I should hopefully get some working out marks for some questions.

Yeah I keep telling myself that. If you need to have a little cry or rant to someone do it because its good to get it out of your system.
you got some of the answers wrong
It was fine
For the vector i got 2a
i swear its acceleration
Original post by Gone245
The gradient represents the rate of change of the speed
Trust me, you did amazing. Everyone feels this way, so it's normal. f you really feel you didn't do as well as you can, that's the more reason for you to do amazing in paper 3. Don't beat yourself up over this test. It will be much better than you imagined. I believe in you and good luck for the rest of your exams.
Oh yeah and I believe as hard test for you is a hard test for the whole country x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending