The Student Room Group

When you take a Gap-year, do you get treated differently?

I am worried that if I was to take a gap year, I will be seen as old and won't make friends with the younger people.
Is this true, do you feel old or is it not that deep because you are only like 1 year older than most people in your year?

Give me as much detail please about your experiences!!
No, you should be fine, I know of lots of people who did exactly this and it worked out great for them.
no you won't. you get accepted by your university and apply for a gap year. if successful you'll take the year off and return the following sept.

you'll be 19, so only 1 year older than most people. besides some post-grads live with undergraduates i think.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mvphoebe
I am worried that if I was to take a gap year, I will be seen as old and won't make friends with the younger people.
Is this true, do you feel old or is it not that deep because you are only like 1 year older than most people in your year?

Give me as much detail please about your experiences!!

No-one will care since they will be adults, and a lot of people take gap year for whatever their reasons (mainly finance). Unlike school, uni isn't a compulsory education where they are strict with age. It is open to all and everyone can apply provided they meet the entry requirement. I myself am 2 years older than some in my course, and there are many other who are older than me. We all are in the same age range and generation, so we are more likely to have things in common compared to much older students (30+ age). Quite a few of my close mates took a gap year, worked to save enough for living cost, developed their confidence, organisational and time management skills. As a result, they are about to graduate with a solid first and experiences. Try to plan what you will do for your gap year and make it meaningful. Also do try to research what careers you want to pursue, as it'll make it so much easier for you in the long run.

My only advice will be to not be the annoying kind of gap year student who ALWAYS talk about their gap year, and their volunteering experiences. These tend to come off as very pretentious, and will deter you from people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending