The Student Room Group

Finding Hospitality jobs

Is it possible to find a job without experience? Every place i’ve tried have rejected me for not having any? What should I do?
Yes!

I’m a hopeful medicine applicant, and because our applications are sent off so early in y12 we must rack up as much experience as possible (clinical,nursing,caring or even anything unrelated will do)

Places that are basically GUARANTEED to take you with NO experience are places like charity shops, which are a GREAT starting point.
I volunteer for Keech Hospice, 3 hours a week, and no experience was necessary to sign up. There I learned customer service, admin skills, reception skills, and financing skills. (All of which are so great on your CV and count towards chances of employability)
If it weren’t for that, I would not be at my current job.

Volunteering for charity is the best for any profession you want to get into because you can gain skills in anything!
Yes!

I am a hopeful medicine applicant and for a few months I struggled with finding ANY place to take me for ANYTHING. I was so desperate lol

I ended up signing up to be a volunteer for a charity called Keech Hospice, and there I worked in the shop (like a normal job). I did admin work, reception work, retail work and so much more. I learned so many skills and gained real experience. All of this was for free!

Go to the charity shop and ask for a volunteer form and fill it out. Then return it once you’re done and wait a few days-week.

Pros:
Don’t need prior experience to be a volunteer
Helps you gain skills which are relevant to most professions
It’s relaxing and you can do it for a few hours per week which lets you focus on studies
It’s basically a real job but easier
It looks good on your CV, this helped me get the job I’m at right now!
Interviews are super easy and short

Cons:
You are a volunteer so you do it for free
You should apply to multiple charities (like 3 and 1 will defo get back to you) instead of just one.
Sorry, what I meant to add on was that if you do stuff like this it drastically helps you finding a job afterwards
(any experience=good experience)
Reply 4
I have a job in retail right now but looking to move job soon, I had it for a year now
Original post by Itsnotaphasemom
Sorry, what I meant to add on was that if you do stuff like this it drastically helps you finding a job afterwards
(any experience=good experience)
Original post by Anonymous
I have a job in retail right now but looking to move job soon, I had it for a year now

Oh okay, within hospitality is there anything specific you’re looking for? I’ll see if I can possibly help (I doubt though)
Reply 6
Mostly waiting/serving etc every place I’ve applied for has asked for 1-2 years experience and reject me ...
Original post by Itsnotaphasemom
Oh okay, within hospitality is there anything specific you’re looking for? I’ll see if I can possibly help (I doubt though)
Original post by Anonymous
Mostly waiting/serving etc every place I’ve applied for has asked for 1-2 years experience and reject me ...

Some “posher” restaurants are more picky on who they take in, I’d start with a cafe job (easier to get) and then use that to move to a lower end restaurant then work your way up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending