GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by pericardium)
I'd like to know whether a WP flag may actually affect the cut off for initial selection. Does anyone know the answer to this?
It almost certainly will do, but some places actually do things like increase GCSEs scores (Kings do this) by a multiplier for WP applicants, so actually the cut off is the same
pericardium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
It almost certainly will do, but some places actually do things like increase GCSEs scores (Kings do this) by a multiplier for WP applicants, so actually the cut off is the same
I attended the summer school and they seemed a little disoriented in terms of the WP flag. When I asked the lead had basically forgotten about WP flags. I will send an email and enquire and then follow up on this thread with my result! Thank you.
pericardium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I attended the summer school and they seemed a little disoriented in terms of the WP flag. When I asked the lead had basically forgotten about WP flags. I will send an email and enquire and then follow up on this thread with my result! Thank you.
I phoned up admissions yesterday to enquire about this. Apparently the WP flag and the contextual offer only result in a lower A level grade of AAB.
UrbanIncentive
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I phoned up admissions yesterday to enquire about this. Apparently the WP flag and the contextual offer only result in a lower A level grade of AAB.
Yes, I think they only give you a lower offer if you put Nottingham as your firm choice, and you meet their POLAR criteria and I think some others. Not sure so just check the website.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, some places just make lower offers for WP applicants, some have lower requirements for an interview. It can be a bit of a minefield
Meduser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey guys, would a score of 47/56 be enough to get an interview? Does anyone know the cut off for last year?
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Meduser)
Hey guys, would a score of 47/56 be enough to get an interview? Does anyone know the cut off for last year?
Last years cutoff was 45 but may go up this year due to no more ps scoring
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Sososnake)
According to a FOI shared by GANFYD last years cutoff was 50/56 for an interview
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Meduser)
According to a FOI shared by GANFYD last years cutoff was 50/56 for an interview
Part of the problem is the "last year" and what people take that to mean. For med schools, "last year" at the minute is 2018 entry (when the cut off for progressing to PS assessment was 45) and 2019 is their current cycle (when Nottingham dropped PS and cut off was apparently 50). I think many people on here mean last year as 2019 and this year as 2020 entry.
That will obviously change when the terms have all started
Polkadot2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Pretty gutted. 😥Nottingham my first choice and now not an option. The way they score UCAT means that even with decent UCAT (757 -SJT2) I only score 48 as I also lose point for GCSE’s, and for 2019 entry the cut off for non contextual was 50. Back to the drawing board with regard choices. Currently looking at Newcastle, Bristol and either Cambridge or Exeter. Plan to check out Sheffield, Liverpool and possibly Manchester now. Soooooooo disappointed.....
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Polkadot2018)
Pretty gutted. 😥Nottingham my first choice and now not an option. The way they score UCAT means that even with decent UCAT (757 -SJT2) I only score 48 as I also lose point for GCSE’s, and for 2019 entry the cut off for non contextual was 50. Back to the drawing board with regard choices. Currently looking at Newcastle, Bristol and either Cambridge or Exeter. Plan to check out Sheffield, Liverpool and possibly Manchester now. Soooooooo disappointed.....
Same I score 48 or 49, gutted
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Same I score 48 or 49, gutted
Where else are you considering?
Last edited by Polkadot2018; 5 months ago
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Where else are you considering?
Sheffield and Cambridge
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Would be really interested to hear whether any non-contextual applicants who successful gaining interview this round (for entry 2019) with score of less than 50/56? Really confused as seeing lots of folk with scores of 45-48 here who have been successful (some identify as non-contextual applicants) yet FOI shows cut off for 2018 was 52 and for 2019 cut off was 50. Nottingham was my first choice for 2020 entry, totally loved the place and people I met on Open Day, but I only score 48/56 as I lose a point for GCSE's, 2 points for only having SJT2 and although average UCAT score is 757 the way the bandings work for different sections just don't optimise my score. So gutted!
Laycity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Would be really interested to hear whether any non-contextual applicants who successful gaining interview this round (for entry 2019) with score of less than 50/56? Really confused as seeing lots of folk with scores of 45-48 here who have been successful (some identify as non-contextual applicants) yet FOI shows cut off for 2018 was 52 and for 2019 cut off was 50. Nottingham was my first choice for 2020 entry, totally loved the place and people I met on Open Day, but I only score 48/56 as I lose a point for GCSE's, 2 points for only having SJT2 and although average UCAT score is 757 the way the bandings work for different sections just don't optimise my score. So gutted!
I’m pretty sure the 50 quoted on other threads includes the PS score. 2019 entry still scored it. Hopefully earlier contributors to this thread can help clarify it.
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don’t think so. I’ve been over this thread and it seems the 45-49 scores were Pathway applicants etc. The posters who received interviews seemed to be getting 50/51 scores etc. The SJT2 cost me dearly. But tbh, even if I’d scored a band 1 I’d still only have just met last years threshold. Just can’t afford the risk when I can apply to UCAT heavy uni’s with greater certainty or any which credit A* predictions such as Exeter and Cambridge. Sad about it though 😥
Last edited by Polkadot2018; 5 months ago
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don’t think so. I’ve been over this thread and it seems the 45-49 scores were Pathway applicants etc. The posters who received interviews seemed to be getting 50/51 scores etc. The SJT2 cost me dearly. But tbh, even if I’d scored a band 1 I’d still only have just met last years threshold. Just can’t afford the risk when I can apply to UCAT heavy uni’s with greater certainty and places which credit A* predictions such as Cambridge and Exeter. Sad though still 😥
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sheffield and Cambridge
🤪 Same now! When you taking BMAT?
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
🤪 Same now! When you taking BMAT?
October
Ems6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don’t think so. I’ve been over this thread and it seems the 45-49 scores were Pathway applicants etc. The posters who received interviews seemed to be getting 50/51 scores etc. The SJT2 cost me dearly. But tbh, even if I’d scored a band 1 I’d still only have just met last years threshold. Just can’t afford the risk when I can apply to UCAT heavy uni’s with greater certainty and places which credit A* predictions such as Cambridge and Exeter. Sad though still 😥
Hi there, 2019 application cycle score was 47 before personal statement; interviewed and received an offer, non-contextual applicant. Hope that this helps.
Last edited by Ems6; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads