The Student Room Group

Is a first from a Top 10 Uni the same as a first from a lowly ranked Uni?

Is a first class-degree from a Top 10 University (ex: Lancaster University) equal to a first-class degree from a lowly-ranked University (ex: Central Lancashire) when applying for a Masters degree at a privileged University (ex: Imperial College)?

I'm basing my logic on the fact that according to Imperial College's website, all that's needed is a first regardless of the university's ranking!

Students tend to work harder for a first at top universities than students at lowly ranked universities.
(edited 4 years ago)
In terms of how ICL view it, yes.

A first from Lancaster might mean you write a better PS or have more persuasive references.
A first from Cambridge in Computer Science is the same as a first from London Met in Gender Studies.
Original post by RichPiana
A first from Cambridge in Computer Science is the same as a first from London Met in Gender Studies.

OP is asking a specific question about postgrad admissions, not for a meme-y supposedly "funny" response.
Yeah, this guy is try harding for reps, embarrassing

Original post by Notoriety
OP is asking a specific question about postgrad admissions, not for a meme-y supposedly "funny" response.
Original post by Notoriety

As long as I get my point across, I don’t really care how I say it.
Original post by DontSweat
Yeah, this guy is try harding for reps, embarrassing

Couldn’t care less about reps tbh. Not something I lose sleep over.
Okay. also a shame you chose to deface Piana having an account like that, shame what happened to the guy. doesn't need some guy on tsr being an ******* with his persona
As long as I get my point across, I don’t really care how I say it.

Couldn’t care less about reps tbh. Not something I lose sleep over.
Original post by DontSweat
Okay. also a shame you chose to deface Piana having an account like that, shame what happened to the guy. doesn't need some guy on tsr being an ******* with his persona

Take some advice from your own username and stop sweating. Either way, it’s just an account, but if it keeps you up all night then I’m more than pleased with the result :borat:
Reply 8
Personal story son got 1st from Oxford and the boy who he started his masters with got a 1st from Nottingham Trent. Unfortunately other boy dropped out half way through but both got places.
Original post by basicusername
Is a first class-degree from a Top 10 University (ex: Lancaster University) equal to a first-class degree from a lowly-ranked University (ex: Central Lancashire) when applying for a Masters degree at a privileged University (ex: Imperial College)?

I'm basing my logic on the fact that according to Imperial College's website, all that's needed is a first regardless of the university's ranking!
Original post by Scotney
Personal story son got 1st from Oxford and the boy who he started his masters with got a 1st from Nottingham Trent. Unfortunately other boy dropped out half way through but both got places.

People alaways say it's easier to get a First from a lower ranked Uni. I don't know if that's true but it would certainly suggest that people should push themselves to get into the best uni they can if they are planning to progress onto a Masters somewhere more prestigious, since they will be better prepared for the harder work.

Anecdotally, my daughter went from a higher ranked uni (Lancaster) to a lower ranked one for her Masters (Reading) and she found the Masters surprisingly easy.
Original post by basicusername

No, it isn't equal. If it was equal, then some secret miracle would be at work whereby the lecturers at all CDE average A level entry universities were able, within 3 years, to transform those students into the ability to perform those that left school with A*A*A. how comes we don't know about that effect? What are the magic recruitment policies of these weaker unis that mean they can get everyone up to the higher standard in 3 years, when 13 years of schooling failed? That is simply not a viable truth. It doesn't however, mean that people in weaker academic universities haven't worked very hard, even as hard or harder than those who get firsts at more academic universities (who have also worked very hard).

However, a few people continue on an academic trajectory (clearly not nearly enough to close the gap, because those at academic universities aren't genetically different, they'd also be on a trajectory if it was a universal effect). But for a few people, the change in subject, style of learning, research method etc accelerates them, and getting a first is evidence of that success in a new environment.

Plus, postgrad (at academic universities) is very much more selective, they will judge academic merit on the basis of individual department, not whole university. The UK has many universities that while generally academically weak, have certain courses that are standout excellent.

All those are taken into account during post-grad admissions, and that means that people who have gone to academically weaker universities can move to more academic places for postgrad.
Take some advice from your own username and stop sweating. Either way, it’s just an account, but if it keeps you up all night then I’m more than pleased with the result :borat:

rather funny how i fell asleep before replying, anyway my username is for my exam forums, makes more sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending