The Student Room Group

Drop out of Medicine to do Law?

Hi everyone,
I’m a second year med student and have come to the conclusion that medicine just isnt for me, for many reasons. Before starting IB I was between medicine and law (law being what I had been aiming for my entire life, medicine making a new appearance). I do love certain aspects of medicine but at this point the cons outweigh the pros for me. If I were to drop out and apply for law as an undergraduate now, does anyone have any insight as to whether I’d be at a disadvantage for being a “drop out”? As in, would I be looked down upon for lack of commitment etc. It’s the only thing holding me back :frown: Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

From a medics perspective there are benefits to having a medical degree and then doing post grad law - the GMC, MPS and MDU all have graduate medicine schemes specifically geared towards people wantin to do medico-legal stuff. Not saying it to tell you to stick at it but perhaps an option! Definitely speak to a university careers advisor too - they’ll be able to offer more options as well!
Original post by veeringout
Hi everyone,
I’m a second year med student and have come to the conclusion that medicine just isnt for me, for many reasons. Before starting IB I was between medicine and law (law being what I had been aiming for my entire life, medicine making a new appearance). I do love certain aspects of medicine but at this point the cons outweigh the pros for me. If I were to drop out and apply for law as an undergraduate now, does anyone have any insight as to whether I’d be at a disadvantage for being a “drop out”? As in, would I be looked down upon for lack of commitment etc. It’s the only thing holding me back :frown: Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Depends where you are applying i.e how far up the food chain.
A highly competitive uni would certainly be looking at your motivation.
You also have the issue of funding.
Hi everyone,

Medicine is 100x better than law don’t drop out. You can make so much more money as a doctor and it is one of the most rated degrees out there
Original post by Mustafa0605
Medicine is 100x better than law don’t drop out. You can make so much more money as a doctor and it is one of the most rated degrees out there

Many lawyers will outearn doctors, my friend. And you also start earning big bucks, particularly at the US firms, a lot faster than you do through an NHS medicine career.
Original post by Notoriety
Many lawyers will outearn doctors, my friend. And you also start earning big bucks, particularly at the US firms, a lot faster than you do through an NHS medicine career.

Please stop speaking trash. You can look up average statistics yourself regarding earnings and employability. And why are you mentioning the US, a totally different continent where they would not prefer to have a foreign law degree.
Please stop speaking trash. You can look up average statistics yourself regarding earnings and employability. And why are you mentioning the US, a totally different continent where they would not prefer to have a foreign law degree.

"US firms" refers to international firms of US origin who have offices in London. They have the most lucrative NQ salaries -- typically in the 100k+ range.

Of course, the lawyers who are on high streets and doing personal injury and landlord/tenancy law are not going to earn in their career as much as a doctor. When you take them into consideration, they will bring down the average lawyer salary down quite a bit. Exclude them and look at corporate firms, and you will be looking at some serious money.
The route into law is now changing before 2021. After that u cannot apply for LLB or GDL but have to sit the two SQEs which are a series of examinations
Original post by Zahra166
The route into law is now changing before 2021. After that u cannot apply for LLB or GDL but have to sit the two SQEs which are a series of examinations

You can apply to do the LLB still.

It is just that the basic competencies, i.e. contract and criminal and so forth, will not be evidenced by your having the LLB or the GDL. Instead you will need to sit the SQE1 to prove you know the basic topics -- which might or might not be prep'd for within your LLB.
Oh. So what's the point of Doing the llb?
You can apply to do the LLB still.

It is just that the basic competencies, i.e. contract and criminal and so forth, will not be evidenced by your having the LLB or the GDL. Instead you will need to sit the SQE1 to prove you know the basic topics -- which might or might not be prep'd for within your LLB.
Original post by Zahra166
Oh. So what's the point of Doing the llb?

You need to have a degree before you can start the SQE route. So OP needs to do something; could be an LLB or the BA J-SP suggested.

The benefit of the LLB is that it will still give you much of the knowledge required to pass SQE1, if not all of it.
"US firms" refers to international firms of US origin who have offices in London. They have the most lucrative NQ salaries -- typically in the 100k+ range.

Of course, the lawyers who are on high streets and doing personal injury and landlord/tenancy law are not going to earn in their career as much as a doctor. When you take them into consideration, they will bring down the average lawyer salary down quite a bit. Exclude them and look at corporate firms, and you will be looking at some serious money.

This is all bullsh*t. When you graduate with a law degree you become something basic like a solicitor with 18k salary. When you graduate with a medicine degree your starting salary is 35k and with a few year experience and further tests you can climb up the ladder up to 150k. Don’t be so stupid, those firms you’re talking about hire only the top people with decades of experience and graduated from places like oxford or Cambridge or Harvard. Most law graduates won’t be making anywhere near 60k never mind 100k
This is all bullsh*t. When you graduate with a law degree you become something basic like a solicitor with 18k salary. When you graduate with a medicine degree your starting salary is 35k and with a few year experience and further tests you can climb up the ladder up to 150k. Don’t be so stupid, those firms you’re talking about hire only the top people with decades of experience and graduated from places like oxford or Cambridge or Harvard. Most law graduates won’t be making anywhere near 60k never mind 100k

It is so bizarre. First off you didn't know what US firms were and now you're telling me who they recruit and from which unis.

MC/SC and even large regionals will often pay 40k+, which is comparable to junior doctors.

I am not suggesting that OP will get one of those nice TCs. I am simply pointing out that it is more than possible, if OP is motivated and capable, to earn more than they would as a doctor. Contrary to your assertion.

I am not going to have any more discussion with you about this; you're wrong and I am right. Let's move on.
This is all bullsh*t. When you graduate with a law degree you become something basic like a solicitor with 18k salary.

You have no idea what the **** you're talking about.
Hi everyone,

The bigger question here is why you want to drop out of medicine OP? Not saying you shouldn't, but it'd be good to advise you on whether your reasoning is good. A good example is just how different pre-clinical is to clinical, and how different that can be to working. If you are a preclinical student I would definitely discourage you from dropping out without very strong reasoning!
Reply 15

It’s not about the money tho because at the end of the day you need to be passionate about your career because you’ll be stuck with it forever
Original post by Fsofoxy
It’s not about the money tho because at the end of the day you need to be passionate about your career because you’ll be stuck with it forever

Yeah not just money, with a medicine degree your employability chances are close to 100%. Same can’t be said about law.

The fact that you're accusing Noto of "talking trash" yet don't understand what US firms are when being referred to suggests it's the other way round...
Original post by MidgetFever
The fact that you're accusing Noto of "talking trash" yet don't understand what US firms are when being referred to suggests it's the other way round...

Don’t give a ****. You can search average salaries for yourself. Law degrees are significantly less valuable than medicine and you will end up being a solicitor on 20k a year compared to a doctor earning 34k a year starting !
Don’t give a ****. You can search average salaries for yourself. Law degrees are significantly less valuable than medicine and you will end up being a solicitor on 20k a year compared to a doctor earning 34k a year starting !

I know what the average salaries are, I'm looking into becoming a solicitor myself. As it was already mentioned though, those averages are highly skewed by the many high street firms where those going into more niche areas of the law, and yes they earn around that bracket purely because it's niche. Those working in corporate and business law can easily earn 40-60k a year, and no, they don't just consider candidates from "just the top universities". It's competitive but there's more to getting a work position than pure academic reputation, and if you think that's the case then you're clearly quite ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending