The Student Room Group

[Poll] Edexcel Further Maths Overall Grade Boundaries 2019 A-level

Scroll to see replies

Can mark schemes change if many candidates use an alternate method?
Original post by _gcx
They give full marks for any valid method provided you follow instructions. (ie. if they tell you to use one method and you use another it may not be creditable) Chances are you won't have been the only one to think of that method (unless it's quite far out) so it'll probably be covered by an alternative in the MS anyway.
Actually as a separate post, how do exam boards deal with this situation?
A long 9 mark question with no hints on how to do it (not a show that). I used a method that is valid, but I didn't complete the question. The method is definitely not what was intended, but I've confirmed it would have worked had I continued through the algebra.

Although the method will almost definitely not be on the mark scheme, is it possible to gain any marks? Someone has told me that markers refer to their superiors in answers like this to consider them on a case by case basis (and perhaps allocate marks), but no sources back this up
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Statistician384
Can mark schemes change if many candidates use an alternate method?

Yes, mark schemes definitely can change. The exam boards look at a sample of answers to coordinate this
That's reassuring. Thank you.
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Yes, mark schemes definitely can change. The exam boards look at a sample of answers to coordinate this
Original post by _gcx
They give full marks for any valid method provided you follow instructions. (ie. if they tell you to use one method and you use another it may not be creditable) Chances are you won't have been the only one to think of that method (unless it's quite far out) so it'll probably be covered by an alternative in the MS anyway.

It's not *too* far out, one other person mentioned they used it on my discord server. I'm just 100% sure it's not what the mark scheme is looking for. As I didn't get the answer out of it, idk if they can allocate marks to it
For anyone who actually did fm1, here's what I did.

The 9 mark impulse Q gave the impulse in terms of lambda and mu, the initial velocity, and said it was deflected by 45 degrees. Find the possible values of lambda and mu.

I wrote the final velocity in terms of lambda and mu. Then, I put this into the dot product formula with initial velocity as given, and angle=45.
Then you get an expression with lambda and mu in it and you can rearrange etc etc, going through a lot of unpleasant algebra, and get to the answer that way
(edited 4 years ago)
It's not *too* far out, one other person mentioned they used it on my discord server. I'm just 100% sure it's not what the mark scheme is looking for. As I didn't get the answer out of it, idk if they can allocate marks to it

Of course they can! I remember tiny_hobbit, an examiner for M3/M4/M5, saying that it's one of the joys of marking those modules that they have to figure out how to assign marks to inventive methods that went wrong somewhere. Rest assured, you will be credited fairly. Are there any similar questions on the old spec? You can look at the markschemes for those and that'll probably be your best indication.
I just had a look at previous edexcel further maths boundaries and they seem reaaaaally high, especially compared to OCR, which is the exam board I do. Wonder why that is. (I saw 71/75 for M5? like wtf) Regardless, for your sake, and mine too, I hope boundaries are really low. I'm expecting an A in further maths, (mostly because on one day of the exams I found it really hard to read through the questions (excuses, I know)) but I'd really like an A* which is only possible for me if the boundary is at 70%.
Original post by Gabzinc
I just had a look at previous edexcel further maths boundaries and they seem reaaaaally high, especially compared to OCR, which is the exam board I do. Wonder why that is. (I saw 71/75 for M5? like wtf) Regardless, for your sake, and mine too, I hope boundaries are really low. I'm expecting an A in further maths, (mostly because on one day of the exams I found it really hard to read through the questions (excuses, I know)) but I'd really like an A* which is only possible for me if the boundary is at 70%.

Once, FP2 was 73/75 for an A* lol.
The spec changed this year though so don't worry, the boundaries won't be anything like the old ones.
The reason the old ones are so high is due to the modular system- it had easier questions, you didn't have to revise everything for each test, and it was much easier to resit modules.
For single maths, the boundaries dropped by 15-20% when the spec changed. We can expect something like that this time
Hi,
The question about the ranges for ‘e’ in FM1, did you manage to find out how you determine it?

If so, can you tell me whether or not we needed to use both spheres to calculate the ranges? I only used one sphere and got an answer of 1/9<e<1. I’m pretty sure this is correct, but it said to justify your answer. So I don’t know whether I got the full 8 marks here.
Once, FP2 was 73/75 for an A* lol.
The spec changed this year though so don't worry, the boundaries won't be anything like the old ones.
The reason the old ones are so high is due to the modular system- it had easier questions, you didn't have to revise everything for each test, and it was much easier to resit modules.
For single maths, the boundaries dropped by 15-20% when the spec changed. We can expect something like that this time
Original post by asifrob11
Hi,
The question about the ranges for ‘e’ in FM1, did you manage to find out how you determine it?

If so, can you tell me whether or not we needed to use both spheres to calculate the ranges? I only used one sphere and got an answer of 1<e<9. I’m pretty sure this is correct, but it said to justify your answer. So I don’t know whether I got the full 8 marks here.

That's not correct. I cant remember exactly what the answer was (think it may have been something like 1/9 < e < 1, so you might have just misremembered).
You have to use both to justify it (although one gives something within the range of the other, it's necessary to fully justify it)

PS: I got 1/8 instead of 1/9 due to an algebra error right at the end that I immediately spotted and didn't have time to fix, so I've probably lost a mark on it but eh
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes sorry, I meant 1/9 < e < 1. I edited my previous comment - been a while since the exams now.

Ahhh okay, I thought so. I calculated the value of e for one sphere and it gave me a negative value something like e > - 1/6 and I thought it was incorrect, crossed it out and calculated the value of e using the other sphere. Even though I crossed it out, would I pick up the marks?
That's not correct. I cant remember exactly what the answer was (think it may have been something like 1/9 < e < 1, so you might have just misremembered).
You have to use both to justify it (although one gives something within the range of the other, it's necessary to fully justify it)

PS: I got 1/8 instead of 1/9 due to an algebra error right at the end that I immediately spotted and didn't have time to fix, so I've probably lost a mark on it but eh
Yes sorry, I meant 1/9 < e < 1. I edited my previous comment - been a while since the exams now.

Ahhh okay, I thought so. I calculated the value of e for one sphere and it gave me a negative value something like e > - 1/6 and I thought it was incorrect, crossed it out and calculated the value of e using the other sphere. Even though I crossed it out, would I pick up the marks?

If it's legible then yes, they can and will give marks for crossed out working if it's correct
Thank you!

Think I’ve really messed up FM1, despite it being a good paper.
If it's legible then yes, they can and will give marks for crossed out working if it's correct
Thank you!

Think I’ve really messed up FM1, despite it being a good paper.

Define messed up lol. Depending on the person, messing up could involve 5 marks or 25 marks dropped
Lol, 47/75 I think. Shambolic really. Just glad my other papers went decently and miles better than FM1, CP2 being the best one. Really don’t know what happened with FM1.
Realised after these FM exams that I’m not as good at Maths as I thought I was...

Might get 51/75 depending on whether my crossed out workings are even marked because they are correct. But I highly doubt examiners ever go through the effort to look at wrong workings since they’ve got deadlines and thousands to mark.
Define messed up lol. Depending on the person, messing up could involve 5 marks or 25 marks dropped
Lol, 47/75 I think. Shambolic really. Just glad my other papers went decently and miles better than FM1, CP2 being the best one. Really don’t know what happened with FM1.
Realised after these FM exams that I’m not as good at Maths as I thought I was...

Might get 51/75 depending on whether my crossed out workings are even marked because they are correct. But I highly doubt examiners ever go through the effort to look at wrong workings since they’ve got deadlines and thousands to mark.

If cp2 went well for you then it'll counteract your performance in fm1 surely, as people struggled in cp2. What overall mark do you reckon you have?

if you have crossed out work that isn't replaced they have to try to mark it. (if it were completely illegible they couldn't) I think it's a bit sceptical to assume markers would mark wrongly.
Also, sorry to be pain. For CP2, the question which required us to find the value of q^3 + p^3 + r^3 I managed to get -1, which I think is correct. However for the roots and polynomials chapter, I was sad enough to memorise all the rules in that chapter.
So I just said, “since we know p^3 + q^3 + r^3 is equal to (α+β+γ)^3 - 3(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα) + 3(αβγ)” and then proceeded to put the values of our polynomial in the question into the equation. I didn’t attempt/ need to expand which I’ve seen so many people complain about on here and Twitter as well as how time consuming that sub-question was, which now leads me to believe that I won’t get any method marks for that part?

Lower bound 209/300
Upper bound 221/300
Could be entirely wrong about those bounds, and might have actually done a lot worse. Don’t know. As harsh as I have been with giving myself any method marks, I may still have over predicted my total. I’m really hoping I haven’t overpredicted as I’ve been extremely harsh when going over the paper.
If cp2 went well for you then it'll counteract your performance in fm1 surely, as people struggled in cp2. What overall mark do you reckon you have?
(edited 4 years ago)
Also, sorry to be pain. For CP2, the question which required us to find the value of q^3 + p^3 + r^3 I managed to get -1, which I think is correct. However for the roots and polynomials chapter, I was sad enough to memorise all the rules in that chapter.
So I just said, “since we know p^3 + q^3 + r^3 is equal to (α+β+γ)^3 - 3(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα) + 3(αβγ)” and then preceded to put the values of our polynomial in the question into the equation. I didn’t attempt/ need to expand which I’ve seen so many people complain about on here and Twitter, which now leads me to believe that I won’t get any method marks for that part?

Lower bound 209/300
Upper bound 221/300
Could be entirely wrong about those bounds, and might have actually done a lot worse. Don’t know. As harsh as I have been with giving myself any method marks, I may still have over predicted my total. I’m really hoping I haven’t overpredicted as I’ve been extremely harsh when going over the paper. For me those marks are fine, I’m no God at Maths though I’m sure the majority of candidates have done better.

If you got the right answer then I don't think you need the method marks for that tbh (wasn't a show that/justify as far as I remember).

If you're being harsh then go with those bounds. What grade were you expecting to get before the exams?

Quick Reply

Latest