The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter: Catered or Self-Catered?

Hey! I'm considering to firm my choice to study at Exeter for Finance and Economics. I was looking into accommodation options, and have narrowed it down to one catered (Ransom Pickard Single Standard) and one self-catered (Lafrowda Single Standard). Could anyone help me gain some insight into the catering bit of it? I'm being a bit budget conscious, so would really help if self-catered wouldn't put a dent on my wallet (I tend to eat larger portions as per my size). Both of these are accommodations that I can afford, and do check out on almost all my requirements. I've heard a lot about Laf, but Ransom Pickard seems like a better option considering the catering and furnishings I explored on the internet. I am quite social and love making new friends, but need my space and privacy at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Hi :smile:
I'm going into my second year at Exeter doing Economics and Finance. I would highly recommend self catered if you can already cook of think you'll be fine with figuring it out. I tend to spend £15-20/week on food which is on the mid-low end but is easy to accomplish if you plan your meals to cut down on waste and don't buy too much unnecessary stuff. I would say expect to spend £20-25 a week. Lafrowda is the main accommodation on campus and is a decent place. It's easy to make friends with a lot of people very quickly but also easy to have your own personal space when needed. It's also the closest to everything on campus which is convenient. The big problem with catered accommodation is that you have to work around the food schedule which can be inconvenient for example if you're doing something in the evening with friends, are having a lay in/going up to campus early etc. In terms of Ransom Pickard, I've actually never heard of it or met anyone who lived there so I'm not sure if it's that involved. What ever you do, make sure you have an en-suite. Prioritise that over catering any day of the week! I was in Point Exe which is off campus but would highly recommend it as a cheaper, potentially better option to lafrowda IMO.
(Original post by lofta7_7)
Hey! I'm considering to firm my choice to study at Exeter for Finance and Economics. I was looking into accommodation options, and have narrowed it down to one catered (Ransom Pickard Single Standard) and one self-catered (Lafrowda Single Standard). Could anyone help me gain some insight into the catering bit of it? I'm being a bit budget conscious, so would really help if self-catered wouldn't put a dent on my wallet (I tend to eat larger portions as per my size). Both of these are accommodations that I can afford, and do check out on almost all my requirements. I've heard a lot about Laf, but Ransom Pickard seems like a better option considering the catering and furnishings I explored on the internet. I am quite social and love making new friends, but need my space and privacy at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thanks! That was very helpful. Do you mind elaborating on the prioritizing en-suite part? I've applied for Single Standard and put RP, Lopes and Laf as my preferences.
Also, I'm wondering about the 30 credits optional electives. Which ones did you choose for your first year and why? :smile:
Original post by Itsfurreal
Hi :smile:
I'm going into my second year at Exeter doing Economics and Finance. I would highly recommend self catered if you can already cook of think you'll be fine with figuring it out. I tend to spend £15-20/week on food which is on the mid-low end but is easy to accomplish if you plan your meals to cut down on waste and don't buy too much unnecessary stuff. I would say expect to spend £20-25 a week. Lafrowda is the main accommodation on campus and is a decent place. It's easy to make friends with a lot of people very quickly but also easy to have your own personal space when needed. It's also the closest to everything on campus which is convenient. The big problem with catered accommodation is that you have to work around the food schedule which can be inconvenient for example if you're doing something in the evening with friends, are having a lay in/going up to campus early etc. In terms of Ransom Pickard, I've actually never heard of it or met anyone who lived there so I'm not sure if it's that involved. What ever you do, make sure you have an en-suite. Prioritise that over catering any day of the week! I was in Point Exe which is off campus but would highly recommend it as a cheaper, potentially better option to lafrowda IMO.
(Original post by lofta7_7)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending