The Student Room Group

What are the best non russel group universities for Law?

Scroll to see replies

Loved this post :rofl:

(I've moved onto threads like Rate a toilet)
Reply 61
Original post by MidgetFever
No worries, I can see why, a lot of people on these forums can come across as quite hostile.

I honestly think it's a misconception, because it is generally a very competitive course, people just assume that you have to go to a top university in order to be able to secure a training contract. The reality is that although academic prestige does play a small part, there are a lot of other skills you have to be able to demonstrate in order to be considered (determination, attention to detail, confidence etc). If you can get these across in your applications and demonstrate those in your interviews then you're likely to get a TC at least somewhere, as opposed to relying merely on prestige.

Other courses such as engineering, there's a big demand for, as well as those studying computer science/programming. One of my best friends studied programming at Huddersfield (not a particularly great uni) but managed to secure a grad scheme with Ubisoft. So it's similar in that if you demonstrate the necessary skills, without going to an amazing university, you can still do relatively well. (Not saying that stands for all cases though)

I'm not complaining, I'm pretty grateful for it. I've received some solid advice from yourself and others. I'm just not so quick to attempt to give advice myself, because I know I'll only get called out for it. :lol:

You should feel more confident giving advice. You speak a lot of sense, particularly in this post.
I'm not complaining, I'm pretty grateful for it. I've received some solid advice from yourself and others. I'm just not so quick to attempt to give advice myself, because I know I'll only get called out for it. :lol:

That was only one time I did that and it was only because it was a law-study help thing. It is more acceptable to have diverging opinions about legal careers.
I mean personally I always thought that it doesn't matter what uni you go to and I thought that logic applied to all courses but like I said I read those articles which are actually spreading misinformation.

I also know that the skills/mindset you personally posses are important in helping to secure a job. Oh wow that is amazing I use to want to work for Ubisoft when I was younger and to be honest I think most people can, especially if they are tired or whatnot.
No worries, I can see why, a lot of people on these forums can come across as quite hostile.

I honestly think it's a misconception, because it is generally a very competitive course, people just assume that you have to go to a top university in order to be able to secure a training contract. The reality is that although academic prestige does play a small part, there are a lot of other skills you have to be able to demonstrate in order to be considered (determination, attention to detail, confidence etc). If you can get these across in your applications and demonstrate those in your interviews then you're likely to get a TC at least somewhere, as opposed to relying merely on prestige.

Other courses such as engineering, there's a big demand for, as well as those studying computer science/programming. One of my best friends studied programming at Huddersfield (not a particularly great uni) but managed to secure a grad scheme with Ubisoft. So it's similar in that if you demonstrate the necessary skills, without going to an amazing university, you can still do relatively well. (Not saying that stands for all cases though)

Thank you! I try to be friendly, but I can often turn into the opinionated "douchey" kind too, so it's a bit hit and miss.

Prestige can matter for certain firms and sectors. Skills and mindset are important but other factors also matter such as previous work experience and interview experience. (Graduate interviews are very different from any interviews you are likely to of taken before in large companies with high competition ):tongue:
Original post by Future Physics
I mean personally I always thought that it doesn't matter what uni you go to and I thought that logic applied to all courses but like I said I read those articles which are actually spreading misinformation.

I also know that the skills/mindset you personally posses are important in helping to secure a job. Oh wow that is amazing I use to want to work for Ubisoft when I was younger and to be honest I think most people can, especially if they are tired or whatnot.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Prestige can matter for certain firms and sectors. Skills and mindset are important but other factors also matter such as previous work experience and interview experience. (Graduate interviews are very different from any interviews you are likely to of taken before in large companies with high competition ):tongue:

Mature advice coming from the actual creator of the aforementioned Rate a toilet :biggrin:
Okay that is confusing but then I am tired. Funnily enough I looking into a research based career in physics but I haven't really learned much information about how the graduate interview plays out.
Original post by RV3112
You should feel more confident giving advice. You speak a lot of sense, particularly in this post.

Thank you! I'm normally okay with giving advice, just not so much in the law forums. There are far more qualified people on here that would be able to give a better insight. I'm only a first year LLB student, and although I'm well researched, I'm still learning myself.

Original post by Notoriety
That was only one time I did that and it was only because it was a law-study help thing. It is more acceptable to have diverging opinions about legal careers.

It's cool, I understand. I was just being a little too headstrong without thinking, we didn't cover precatory words in our first year so I was totally unaware of it. I ended up speaking to my tutor about it afterwards out of curiosity and I can see where I went wrong now. You and bitesize obviously have a lot more experience so I should have just accepted that. :lol:

Yeah, when looking on the internet there is a lot of those scaremongering that stresses students out, particularly with law. Luckily as Johan said though, there are a lot of experienced people in this forum so usually questions get answered correctly.

Yeah he definitely got quite lucky with that one! Their grad scheme sounds amazing. He has to be relocated to Singapore but I don't think he's all too sad about that. :lol:
This is my first time in the really getting involved in the law forum to be honset lmao, I never knew it had a reputation.

This all turned into a debate that completely didn't answer the OP's question so to bring it back to the question, I'd say Kent, Leicester, UEA and Lancaster are ones to look into x
Original post by Kali.kb
This is my first time in the really getting involved in the law forum to be honset lmao, I never knew it had a reputation.

This all turned into a debate that completely didn't answer the OP's question so to bring it back to the question, I'd say Kent, Leicester, UEA and Lancaster are ones to look into x

You'll get used to it, this happens more often than not.
Toché
If a thread hasn't derailed by page 2, is it really the Law forum?
And the bum and the poo thread but I can be sensible sometimes! :tongue:
Original post by harrysbar
Mature advice coming from the actual creator of the aforementioned Rate a toilet :biggrin:

Ah ok, I'll be honest I know nothing about how interviews go for a research based career but best of luck! :eek: My area of expertise is just the graduate schemes you find on gradcracker and the like. :tongue:
Okay that is confusing but then I am tired. Funnily enough I looking into a research based career in physics but I haven't really learned much information about how the graduate interview plays out.
Thank you :smile: Though still gradcracker might be useful so thank you for mentioning it :smile:
And the bum and the poo thread but I can be sensible sometimes! :tongue:

Ah ok, I'll be honest I know nothing about how interviews go for a research based career but best of luck! :eek: My area of expertise is just the graduate schemes you find on gradcracker and the like. :tongue:
Hi there!
As @harrysbar has said, the University of Kent could make for a good insurance choice for you as Kent Law school is 16th in the country :smile: But I'd really recommend taking a good look at the modules and also what life could be like for you at each of your chosen insurance choices as these are the things that will have the biggest impact on your university experience and can even influence your grades. If you have any questions about Kent Law school or life at Kent then please feel free to ask me :smile: Good luck with choosing your insurance!
Original post by anon5252
I firmed the University of Sheffield. However, do not have an insurance choice and I am unsure if I did well in my exams. A recruiter for law said that Oxford Brookes and Northumbria are good non russel group universities for law.Is Northumbria a good choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending