ReadilySalted
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi Guys, I'm a year 12 student and I am going to apply to Dentistry! I have visited my chosen university open days, so I am 100% sure this is the course I wish to pursue! I am going to apply to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham, with my 5th option being Optometry at Manchester! Ive got my UCAT test on the 20th August and I am a Liverpool Scholar. I'm studying Biology, chemistry and psychology and predicted A's. A Liverpool scholar gets a reduced grade offer of ABB instead of AAA and the dentistry department have come back in contact with me to tell me that if I am predicted ABB and have a good UCAT score (they have no cut off) with band 1/2 in sjt, they will give me an interview! They have already read my personal statement and are more than happy to give me an interview! SO excited as I'm one step closer hopefully! I've had work experience in a Dental practice and a dental department at a hospital, also I'm looking out to do more!

I want to hear everyone else's journey to Dentistry, as all I ever hear about is Medicine applicants !
Advertisement
ReadilySalted
Rep:
?
Hi Guys, I'm a year 12 student and I am going to apply to Dentistry! I have visited my chosen university open days, so I am 100% sure this is the course I wish to pursue! I am going to apply to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham, with my 5th option being Optometry at Manchester! Ive got my UCAT test on the 20th August and I am a Liverpool Scholar. I'm studying Biology, chemistry and psychology and predicted A's. A Liverpool scholar gets a reduced grade offer of ABB instead of AAA and the dentistry department have come back in contact with me to tell me that if I am predicted ABB and have a good UCAT score (they have no cut off) with band 1/2 in sjt, they will give me an interview! They have already read my personal statement and are more than happy to give me an interview! SO excited as I'm one step closer hopefully! I've had work experience in a Dental practice and a dental department at a hospital, also I'm looking out to do more!

I want to hear everyone else's journey to Dentistry, as all I ever hear about is Medicine applicants !
ReadilySalted
Rep:
?
Hi Guys, I'm a year 12 student and I am going to apply to Dentistry! I have visited my chosen university open days, so I am 100% sure this is the course I wish to pursue! I am going to apply to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham, with my 5th option being Optometry at Manchester! Ive got my UCAT test on the 20th August and I am a Liverpool Scholar. I'm studying Biology, chemistry and psychology and predicted A's. A Liverpool scholar gets a reduced grade offer of ABB instead of AAA and the dentistry department have come back in contact with me to tell me that if I am predicted ABB and have a good UCAT score (they have no cut off) with band 1/2 in sjt, they will give me an interview! They have already read my personal statement and are more than happy to give me an interview! SO excited as I'm one step closer hopefully! I've had work experience in a Dental practice and a dental department at a hospital, also I'm looking out to do more! I want to hear everyone else's journey to Dentistry, as all I ever hear about is Medicine applicants !
Advertisement
Deggs_14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Very cool, and very well prepared! Good luck for your future interviews and application process, look forward to hearing about it!
ReadilySalted
Rep:
?
Aw, thank you very much, i really appreciate this
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Very cool, and very well prepared! Good luck for your future interviews and application process, look forward to hearing about it!
Advertisement
arghh123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I hope you get your interviews! I have just finished year 11, and currently waiting on my GCSEs. What grades did you get, I'm curious. Can you please explain what a Liverpool scholar is? I also really want to apply for dentistry!
ReadilySalted
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey arghh123! Nice to meet you! Thank you very much that's so lovely

So I did my GCSE's last year and I got: 988887755, the 9 in chemistry and the 2 5's in english language and spanish. You need a 6 in english language and so I had to resit in november in college and ended up getting a 6, 1 mark off a 7! So my grades are now 988887765. A Liverpool scholar is when your college is located in the area of the university and are linked with the college, the college I go to is intercalated with liverpool university. You have to be eligible to apply, so an example would be that none o your parents went to university, and basically when you are accepted into the scholar programme, you will need to write a professional 1,500 word essay on any topic and you'll be assigned to work with a tutor who teaches in liverpool university, and when you have completed that, your tutor marks it and gives you a pass, and when you pass, you can apply to ANY course and 2 of your entry grades will be reduce by 1, so dentistry entry requirement is AAA, but as a scholar, my entry requirements will be ABB, BUT you will still have to get a good UCAT score, have a predicted grade of at least ABB and go through an interview. You will be given a guaranteed conditional offer if all have been met! I'll leave a link so you can have a read of the programme. If you have any questions then pls let me know, and good look in results day! You'll smash it

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/widening...teen/scholars/
Last edited by ReadilySalted; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Anna Farziyeva
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, i was reading entry requirements for Manchester in the website. However, i couldn't find anything about UKCAT score. Is it important for that university or not?
helenburns
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I’ve just got my a level results today so I’m going to firm choice Cardiff this September to study dentistry. If you have any questions feel free to ask me because I know I did when I was applying. I applied to Cardiff Sheffield kings and Birmingham and got all my offers. I did bio Chem and maths if you need any help as well. Good luck!
Advertisement
Anna Farziyeva
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Helen
(Original post by helenburns)
Hey I’ve just got my a level results today so I’m going to firm choice Cardiff this September to study dentistry. If you have any questions feel free to ask me because I know I did when I was applying. I applied to Cardiff Sheffield kings and Birmingham and got all my offers. I did bio Chem and maths if you need any help as well. Good luck!
Helen, i wanted to apply Cardiff for dentistry BDS but when i went to the open day, the staff was rude to me as i got low gcse grades "A*A6666554" because of my background. However my As predicted grades are alright (A*AAC) as i mentioned there and the lady told me that we cant accept you even though if you will get A*AA in your A levels. The GCSE grades are more important to us and if you don't meet the criteria don't apply for it.🤷🏼*♀️ The city was incredible however i lost my hope to be honest...
PSHA1812
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I missed my grades for dentistry today. Had offers from KCL AND QMUL. If I am to resit 2 of my subjects-are there chances I can get in,? Do all Unis consider resist for Dentistry?
Advertisement
Anna Farziyeva
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PSHA1812)
I missed my grades for dentistry today. Had offers from KCL AND QMUL. If I am to resit 2 of my subjects-are there chances I can get in,? Do all Unis consider resist for Dentistry?
Usually on their website in the section where it says entry requirements they mention if they accept resits or not. The Unis that i chose for Dentistry didn't accept resits so i m not sure unless you have an understandable reason. Try to call unis and get an advice 👍🏻
topazz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PSHA1812)
I think kcl accepts resits, and I'm thinking about it, but it's best to call them up. Not all unis accepts resits for dent tho, just a few
Advertisement
applesandalevels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by topazz)
I think kcl accepts resits, and I'm thinking about it, but it's best to call them up. Not all unis accepts resits for dent tho, just a few
which unis accept resists??
helenburns
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Plymouth and manchester do but I'm not too sure
Iamjos
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna Farziyeva)
Hello, i was reading entry requirements for Manchester in the website. However, i couldn't find anything about UKCAT score. Is it important for that university or not?
Manchester looks at the SJT score more. You should have band 1 or 2 when applying there!
rf8457
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey guys, I applied for 2019 entry and got offers from both kings dentistry courses and qmul, and I achieved 3A* on results day 15th August 2019. if u guys need any help feel free to pm me
Advertisement
zainab.yasin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi i am applying for dentistry for 2020 entry and my gcses are 2 9's, 4 8's, 4 A* and 1 A. MY alvels are predictied AAA in biology chemistry and french but I didn't do so well in the UCAT exam (500 VR, 590 DM, 630 QR and AR and band 2 for SJT. I was wondering if you had any advice or think that I may still have a chance in getting in?
ReadilySalted
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zainab.yasin)
hi i am applying for dentistry for 2020 entry and my gcses are 2 9's, 4 8's, 4 A* and 1 A. MY alvels are predictied AAA in biology chemistry and french but I didn't do so well in the UCAT exam (500 VR, 590 DM, 630 QR and AR and band 2 for SJT. I was wondering if you had any advice or think that I may still have a chance in getting in?
You would definitely get in, but maybe not Sheffield. They’re UCAT heavy and have cut offs of roughly 630 every year- Kings would deffo accept if you were interested in applying there
hwpo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ReadilySalted)
You would definitely get in, but maybe not Sheffield. They’re UCAT heavy and have cut offs of roughly 630 every year- Kings would deffo accept if you were interested in applying there
King's wont accept her. Her predicted A levels are below A*AA.

Plymouth is always a safe bet. They have a UCAT cut off point of 570, and 44% of applicants get offers - twice as much as any other uni for Dentistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9.28%
Disagree (5)
5.15%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31.96%
Agree (37)
38.14%
Strongly Agree (15)
15.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise