The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ramzinoo
you don’t need to do AS exams to apply to Queen mary?

Doing AS exams increases your ums points
I will only be doing A2 exams so my ums will be lower so I will be at a disadvantage if I apply?
And my UCAT is 2660, so not as high as they need for ums points equivalent to A*A*A predicted.
Original post by Aspirin'Dentist
I will only be doing A2 exams so my ums will be lower so I will be at a disadvantage if I apply?
And my UCAT is 2660, so not as high as they need for ums points equivalent to A*A*A predicted.

No that isn’t the case. They will count your UCAS tariff as the highest achievement you have so that would be your A levels. If you dropped one of your subjects at AS and have an achieved grade for that then that dropped subject would get some ucas tariff points as well
Your ucas tariff points come to 160 so I do agree with you that it wouldn’t be worth applying to Barts (unless you’re doing a fourth a level such as general studies as well because this counts to your tariff points)
Hi! How r u guys preparing for interviews?

Also for what reasons r u applying to Kings - what is so good about it and what sort of opportunities and clubs do they run during the year if you guys know?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 583
Original post by Duckehhh
Hi! How r u guys preparing for interviews?

Also for what reasons r u applying to Kings - what is so good about it and what sort of opportunities and clubs do they run

Hiya mate. I am just visiting the MedicsAreShmakes Club in Manchester that runs interview sessions for medical students every saturday evening. It is pretty good and will surely increase confidence and practice. @Duckehhh
Did you guys leave a whole empty line between paragraphs in personal statement or would that take too many lines and its suitable format to not leave a whole empty line? i've enough content thats not the problem.
also how many sentances is your guyses conclusion?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 585
Did you guys leave a whole empty line between paragraphs in personal statement or would that take too many lines and its suitable format to not leave a whole empty line? i've enough content thats not the problem.
also how many sentances is your guyses conclusion?

I left lines empty between paras and most examples I’ve read did too but I’m not too sure what’s suitable. I wrote 4 lines for my conclusion.

No, you should/ve applied. It wouldn't make a difference whether you did AS or not. If your predicted grades are sufficient then AS are not needed.

A lot of colleges these days don't offer AS if the student is planning on doing A2.
Original post by Nuttyy
No, you should/ve applied. It wouldn't make a difference whether you did AS or not. If your predicted grades are sufficient then AS are not needed.

A lot of colleges these days don't offer AS if the student is planning on doing A2.

still have not applied
applying on monday.
my ums is equivalent to A*A*A at A2, a low ums points like this would mean I'd need a ucat in the 2800's to make a competitive application shown by previous statistics on their website.
Original post by ramzinoo
I left lines empty between paras and most examples I’ve read did too but I’m not too sure what’s suitable. I wrote 4 lines for my conclusion.

kl
Today I was filling out application form for Newcastle partners program and my referee is not listed on the list. I have emailed them but response time is one working day and it may be on Monday or Tuesday, if I’m lucky but problem is last date of submission is 15 October, I think I’m not gonna make it. Any suggestions
Original post by Asfaltu
Today I was filling out application form for Newcastle partners program and my referee is not listed on the list. I have emailed them but response time is one working day and it may be on Monday or Tuesday, if I’m lucky but problem is last date of submission is 15 October, I think I’m not gonna make it. Any suggestions

Email them, then wait till 14th. If nothing has been resolved, then just apply. After applying email them again stating your issue etc.
still have not applied
applying on monday.
my ums is equivalent to A*A*A at A2, a low ums points like this would mean I'd need a ucat in the 2800's to make a competitive application shown by previous statistics on their website.

Having an AS then having an A2 in the same subject doesn't increase UMS (not that I know of anyway). If I got an A* in A2 Chem, and you got an A in AS then an A* in A2, we are equal applicants in the universities eye, hence why I say its about predicted grades.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 592
If unsure about my last two choices as I’ve finalized Plymouth Cardiff and Manchester but I am not sure if I should apply to Birmingham or Kings
I’ve got 5 A* and 4 A at GCSE’s
Predicted 3 A*’s
UCAT of 2510
I would want to apply to the one where I have more of a chance at getting an interview
Reply 593
Original post by Asfaltu

Forget sending the email. There’s a form on their contact page fill it out and they’ll add your teacher as a referee by Monday
Finally sent my application off! Can now post my stats :smile:

GCSE's: 988887765
A-Level Predicted: AAA
Applied: Manchester(AAB), Liverpool(ABB), Sheffield(AAA) and Birmingham(AAA). 5th option Pharmacology @ Manchester
UCAT: 665, Band 3
Work Experience: 2 weeks in various dental environments

I know i've not got the best stats, but fingers crossed I will get at least one interview i'A!
Good luck to everyone, i'm sure you will all at least get interviews!
GCSE's: 87777776665
A-level Predicted: A*AAA
UCAT: 645, band 2
Work experience, 5 weeks at two different dentists, and two volunteering's

Very mediocre stats but hope I can get some offers :/
Are Cardiff and Birmingham a safe option to apply for dentistry with a ucat of 2370 band 1 :///
Original post by Randomstudwnt
Are Cardiff and Birmingham a safe option to apply for dentistry with a ucat of 2370 band 1 :///

Hi!:wink:
I don't think Birmingham would worth to try cause I applied last year with 2350 and rejected me pre-interview due to low ucat.
This year I got 2360! I did not apply to Cardiff last year so don't know how they view ucat. I will apply this year though.
Are you applying as a graduate?
Does anyone know which unis reject you if you achieved band 4 in the UCAT SJT? Yesterday, I drove 4 hours for Manchester's open day to later discover that they reject applicants with band 4 even though they don't mention it in their entry requirements :/
I'm aware Sheffield reject band 4s but thats all.
Original post by brarje
Does anyone know which unis reject you if you achieved band 4 in the UCAT SJT? Yesterday, I drove 4 hours for Manchester's open day to later discover that they reject applicants with band 4 even though they don't mention it in their entry requirements :/
I'm aware Sheffield reject band 4s but thats all.

I believe KCL take it into account but Birmingham do not look at SJT so that might be a choice

Latest