The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dentistry12345
Yeah ngl you’re right. And yes Birms would defo be my first choice for dentistry. Tbh I’m not bothered where I go, I love all my unis and a dental school is a dental school at the end of the day. My ucat of 595 avg band 3 I guess can be outweighed by my strong personal statement , strong a level predictions (A*A*A) and fairly strong gcses (5A* 3A 2B). So far only received an interview from plymouth which I’m really happy about however I’ve heard how tough the interview stage is at plymouht which has worried me a bit. I’m hoping cardiff Liverpool and Birms are positive replies as the more interviews means More practice.

I applied to Birmingham last year with a UCAT 590 and band 4 SJT and rejected me without interview due to low UCAT:frown:. I applied as a graduate applicant though. Where else did you apply?
(Original post by Sara1498)I applied to Birmingham last year with a UCAT 590 and band 4 SJT and rejected me without interview due to low UCAT:frown:. I applied as a graduate applicant though. Where else did you apply?

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
And I got band 3 and I’m in the third decile which isn’t that bad but not good, however my gcses and a level predictions will certainly make up for my ucat and my motivation is evident through my perosnal statement. But whatever happens happens at this stage and nothing much I can do other than wait and see what they say. I also applied to Liverpool, Plymouth and Cardiff and have received an interview from Plymouth already. I applied to the unis that have low emphasis on UCAT so I applied strategically so we will see what happens. Are you studying dentistry rn and if so what uni?
Original post by ciaraglennon
Anyone still waiting on hearing back from Newcastle?

Me
(Original post by Sara1498)I applied to Birmingham last year with a UCAT 590 and band 4 SJT and rejected me without interview due to low UCAT:frown:. I applied as a graduate applicant though. Where else did you apply?

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
And I got band 3 and I’m in the third decile which isn’t that bad but not good, however my gcses and a level predictions will certainly make up for my ucat and my motivation is evident through my perosnal statement. But whatever happens happens at this stage and nothing much I can do other than wait and see what they say. I also applied to Liverpool, Plymouth and Cardiff and have received an interview from Plymouth already. I applied to the unis that have low emphasis on UCAT so I applied strategically so we will see what happens. Are you studying dentistry rn and if so what uni?

Hi!
Well done for getting an interview for Plymouth!:wink:
I applied for Dentistry three times overall (this year will be my third one). Last year, I applied with a predicted 1st in Biomed to Bristol, QUB, Birmingham and Glasgow with UCAT 2350 and band 4 SJT. I ended up being rejected from all with Bristol, Birmingham and Glasgow pre-interview due to low UCAT and due to not scoring high in the personal statement for Bristol. QUB offered me an interview but I scored 120/153 in their interview rank and was not lucky enough to get an offer.
I graduated with a 1st in Biomed and now I am doing MSc Nutrition and Food Science. I applied to Cardiff, QUB, Queen Mary and Bristol. I hope I will be able to get an offer this year despite my low UCAT score. Do you know if Cardiff weights heavily the band 4 SJT? :frown:
Who’s still waiting to hear back from Plymouth? I haven’t heard anything and I’m slightly worried now :frown:
What are some examples of hot topics?
Yeah ngl you’re right. And yes Birms would defo be my first choice for dentistry. Tbh I’m not bothered where I go, I love all my unis and a dental school is a dental school at the end of the day. My ucat of 595 avg band 3 I guess can be outweighed by my strong personal statement , strong a level predictions (A*A*A) and fairly strong gcses (5A* 3A 2B). So far only received an interview from plymouth which I’m really happy about however I’ve heard how tough the interview stage is at plymouht which has worried me a bit. I’m hoping cardiff Liverpool and Birms are positive replies as the more interviews means More practice.

Yh brum would be my first choice too. Tbf just Prep as much as you can and hopefully it will be fine. As you said they haven’t ruled you out for brum yet? I think brum did screening process for gcses and I think for ucat too so maybe it’s not too low? Have u got a email saying it’s being considered? If so maybe ur not in bottom percentiles🙏🏽
Hi, what was the Kings interview like, as I have mine in a few weeks. If you have any tips that could help me while preparing, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Original post by Futuredentist246
Who’s still waiting to hear back from Plymouth? I haven’t heard anything and I’m slightly worried now :frown:

Have looked back - I didn't hear until 26/11 last year (with 665, SJ3) - so I greatly doubt that they're all invited out...yet...Peninsula are known to invite a hefty proportion of applicants to Interview. Plenty of time yet... :biggrin:

A
Original post by unique09
Wow! What are your stats

Predicted A*AA ( order being psychology, chem and biol) and a low UKAT score of 2330 and band 2, disappointed in my performance and I blame my lack of handling stress but at least I’ve learnt to cope now! Just shows it can work out! Don’t lose hope folks x
^^
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kamilastan
Stats are: A* psychol, A biol, A chem. 2230 UCAT ( said it was 2330 in previous post which was an error ***), 6A* 5A GCSE. I’m assuming my PS aided me greatly, never lose hope!!

Original post by Huss007
Wow first person I’ve heard to have an interview with Bristol! What were your statistics and when did your recieve the good news

I replied just above this message - I’m still very new to this thread system, apologies ! 😂😅
Stats are: A* psychol, A biol, A chem. 2230 UCAT ( said it was 2330 in previous post which was an error ***), 6A* 5A GCSE. I’m assuming my PS aided me greatly, never lose hope!!

Hi, I've applied for Bristol with A*AA predictions in Chem, Bio, Maths, 2490 UCAT, 7 A* 4 A GCSE - yet to hear back from them. Over the phone, their admission team said they don't have a UCAT cut off but they usually look at the top 20% of candidates (which is 2700+) so your case has given me a lot of hope!

How much work experience did you mention in your personal statement?

Many congrats on the interview :smile:
Do we have to send an evidence of our work experience through the dashboard link for Bristol?
Original post by p.sbt
Hi, I've applied for Bristol with A*AA predictions in Chem, Bio, Maths, 2490 UCAT, 7 A* 4 A GCSE - yet to hear back from them. Over the phone, their admission team said they don't have a UCAT cut off but they usually look at the top 20% of candidates (which is 2700+) so your case has given me a lot of hope!

How much work experience did you mention in your personal statement?

Many congrats on the interview :smile:

Hiya! Absolute brilliant stats so well done on working hard! I’ve said I got just over 60 hours of shadowing. These being in wholly private, an orthodontics and in a part private / part public clinic. The main body of my PS reflects the experience so I’d say a good 60% 😂, the rest being extra curricular etc. Thank you very much, wish you all the best of luck although I’m more than certain you’ll have an offer with flying colours :smile: x
Hiya! Absolute brilliant stats so well done on working hard! I’ve said I got just over 60 hours of shadowing. These being in wholly private, an orthodontics and in a part private / part public clinic. The main body of my PS reflects the experience so I’d say a good 60% 😂, the rest being extra curricular etc. Thank you very much, wish you all the best of luck although I’m more than certain you’ll have an offer with flying colours :smile: x

Fingers crossed ahaha - how are you preparing for interview?
Guys, I was wondering what specific differences do you think there are between the questions at medicine interviews and questions at dentistry interviews?
Original post by Sara1498
Hi!
Well done for getting an interview for Plymouth!:wink:
I applied for Dentistry three times overall (this year will be my third one). Last year, I applied with a predicted 1st in Biomed to Bristol, QUB, Birmingham and Glasgow with UCAT 2350 and band 4 SJT. I ended up being rejected from all with Bristol, Birmingham and Glasgow pre-interview due to low UCAT and due to not scoring high in the personal statement for Bristol. QUB offered me an interview but I scored 120/153 in their interview rank and was not lucky enough to get an offer.
I graduated with a 1st in Biomed and now I am doing MSc Nutrition and Food Science. I applied to Cardiff, QUB, Queen Mary and Bristol. I hope I will be able to get an offer this year despite my low UCAT score. Do you know if Cardiff weights heavily the band 4 SJT? :frown:

Hey! Thanks a lot and I hope your application goes successful this year! And because of my low ucat score (595 avg band 3) I applied strategically to univeristies that don’t have much emphasis on the UCAT. Birmingham is a flip of a coin as I don’t know if I’ll get interview or not so I guess that’s my aspirational one but liverpool Cardiff and Plymouth from what I’ve researched don’t have heavy emphasis on the ucat . Plymouth’s cut off is 570 avg, Liverpool says we don’t want anyone with band 4 and Cardiff doesn’t really say anything about it. When I called Cardiff’s admission tutor they said we look at applicantions holistically so if ur academics are strong and personal statement I guess that will make up for a bad ucat score. What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking (like gcses and a levels).
Original post by Simbassi
Yh brum would be my first choice too. Tbf just Prep as much as you can and hopefully it will be fine. As you said they haven’t ruled you out for brum yet? I think brum did screening process for gcses and I think for ucat too so maybe it’s not too low? Have u got a email saying it’s being considered? If so maybe ur not in bottom percentiles🙏🏽

I got an email like 2 weeks ago saying it’s been taken for further consideration. I guess that means it’s good news so far and hopeuflly I land an interview 🙏🏼. Hopefully your applications goes good as well. Where did you apply to again and what were your stats like gcses and A level predictions?
I got an email like 2 weeks ago saying it’s been taken for further consideration. I guess that means it’s good news so far and hopeuflly I land an interview 🙏🏼. Hopefully your applications goes good as well. Where did you apply to again and what were your stats like gcses and A level predictions?

Yeah that’s seems to be good news so far then I wouldn’t worry too much just see what happens! I think brum replies in dec but I’m not sure. I applied liverpool brum cardiff manchester
AAA predicted
2450 (612.5) b2 ucat (hopefully not tooooo low)
And I think my PS is quite good- a lot of wex etc
Hoepfully I’ll get an interview 🙏🏽

Latest