The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zarek
Keep in 3rd then

Why should I waste fuel because someone isn't confident enough to drive at a reasonable speed?
Reply 101
Because you stay within the law and make it less likely that if a pedestrian is struck that they will be killed.
Original post by Zarek
Because you stay within the law and make it less likely that if a pedestrian is struck that they will be killed.

Believe it or not, doing an actual 30mph doesn't break the law...

Your argument is invalid.
Original post by IWMTom
Believe it or not, doing an actual 30mph doesn't break the law...

Your argument is invalid.

So you’re saying that it’s ok for people to tailgate/get frustrated at people doing a marked 30 (which is actually 26-28) instead of a marked 32 (which is actually 28-30)? Those 2mph aren’t really worth worrying about are they?
I was taught the same as this person said and my examiner said it too. The speed limit being X doesn't mean it's safe to drive at X all the time. It's a limit not a target.

I do try and drive on the limit (with a couple mph for the amount my speedo is off) but only when I'm confident. If I'm on a narrow winding country lane idgf if the limit is 60 I'm not gonna do that.

There are limits eg the other day I was driving through town in a 30 zone and there was a guy with P plates doing 15-20 for 2 miles, then stopped and waited by a van parked half on the curb when there was still plenty of space for both lanes and the other side had pulled over... this is a road you have to be careful as there's a traffic lit crossing that takes forever for pedestrians so lots cross the road on the red man and there are blind corners right before... But you only have to slow on the corner for a few seconds.
Original post by IWMTom
Only it is a target, because if conditions allow you should be at that speed - you would fail a test for failure to make progress otherwise.

If you're too lacking in confidence to drive at an appropriate speed, you shouldn't be driving, as it's driving outside the flow of traffic that causes congestion.

OP if someone is being an ******* ignore them. You need to use common sense... If I am going through a passing place on a country road and the guy behind me clearly wants to go 20mph more than me, I pull over. You can't do that in a city. You need to try and keep up your speed as much as it's safe to do so. But don't let others dictate what is safe. People will swing round blind bends at 50mph because they 'know' the corner... could be a horse loose in the road or a cyclist crashed on the floor on that day for all they know. You do you and don't get pressured into bad driving.

And remember cars have to share the roads with HGVs, tractors, learner drivers, cyclists, walkers, horses... plenty of slower road users. They need to just have a bit of patience sometimes, 2mph is not gonna change their lives.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by Zarek
There's nothing much you can do about the fact there are loads of people who are prepared to break speed limits, other than take some satisfaction that over time they'll surely rack up penalty points + hope they don't kill someone. Accelerating confidently to a new speed limit when you hit it can help reduce frustration, letting idiots pass if you can and benchmarking speedometer with sat nav and speed measuring road signs to help you know your vehicle speed would be some tips.

Hate to break it to you, but the majority of drivers spend their entire lives going well over the speed limit every time they get in the car, and never once have an accident or receive a penalty.
Original post by mhsc
There is nothing considerate about driving so close to another car that you endanger them, and may even end up killing them. So arguing that they should pull over is ridiculous.

They are following the law and you are not. You are de facto in the wrong. You are literally a criminal. You cannot take a moral standpoint. The law exists for a reason.

Two wrongs don't make a right
Original post by desou
the majority of drivers spend their entire lives going well over the speed limit every time they get in the car

Complete. Nonsense.
Drive as close to the speed limit as possible. You’ll get used to people tailgating you. Obviously if someone is going 25 in a 30 zone that’s just ridiculous. Also, use Waze if you get extra paranoid about your speedo and speed cameras.
Original post by Bubblylibra
Drive as close to the speed limit as possible. You’ll get used to people tailgating you. Obviously if someone is going 25 in a 30 zone that’s just ridiculous. Also, use Waze if you get extra paranoid about your speedo and speed cameras.

Amen. If you are driving at the speed limit, you are not inconveniencing others behind you who want to break the speed limit. It's one thing to be hogging the outside lane on a multi-lane road when there are cars behind you. It's another to be expected to actually pull over and stop just to let them pass.
Reply 110
Original post by Admit-One
Complete. Nonsense.

Not at all. If the road is clear, almost everyone does 80-90 on the motorway, 60-70 on main roads, and probably 40-50 in cities. You're massively naive if you think this isn't the case.
Original post by 1338
I'm not forcing anyone to overtake me on a blind bend...

Whilst this is true, you do know that some will get frustrated and do silly things.

I agree that 1 mph under in a 30 limit, where pedestrians are likely, is entirely reasonable. Where pedestrians are absent, especially on dual carriage way roads, my view on speed limits is different.

Original post by 1338
I also think it's safe to say during day to day driving that there most likely isn't a kid bleeding to death in the back seat, and if there was they'd probably be beeping rather than just tailgating me...

And many people would think that they were just being impatient and anti-social. The reality is that it's better to let them pass, especially as you don't know why they're so stressed. we all have our issues.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TajwarC
For what its worth I failed my first driving test for driving too slowly (maybe 20 in a 30) and also been pulled over for the same reason... Now I just drive at close to if not the same speed as the one or two cars ahead (provided they aren't going insanely fast). Usually this is around 30 maybe 33ish; but speedos are usually out by 2-3mph at least. So when the speedo reads 30 its probably closer to 27, of course that varies depending on your car and tyres etc. When I'm using cruise control at 70mph according to the car, Google Maps claims 67mph.

It is odd really that they would fail someone for going at 20 in a 30 zone since often there are signs that say "twenty's plenty" in residential areas where the speed limit is 30! Imagine if you failed for doing 20 in such a place! I wonder what is and isn't allowable in the test when it comes to advisory speed limits.

If I drive to London I sometimes find myself just doing 20 as there are so many 20 zones, some of which have speed cameras, and there is often a lack of signage when going between 20 and 30 zones. I presume that when 30 was made the standard limit in built-up areas, this was generally the lowest speed limit around but now that there are all these stupid 20 zones, I feel that they should really have frequent 30 signs when you can go at 30 to make this clear. In fact the fans should apply in NSL areas as it's so easy to miss the initial signs sometimes. Also once there was a random 30 sign in the middle of a NSL for no apparent reason so I found myself going at 30 for ages with other drivers overtaking me as there was never another sign!
Original post by desou
Not at all. If the road is clear, I do 80-90 on the motorway, 60-70 on main roads, and probably 40-50 in cities. You're massively naive if you think this isn't the case.

I fixed it for you. The vast majority of people do the speed limit or close to it. I stick to 70mph on the motorway (with quick jaunts up to 80-85 if necessary but not for long) and pass more people than pass me. I do the speed limit elsewhere and I'm stuck behind more people than are stuck behind me.

This thread is an absolute s**tshow. Quite worrying how many people are trying to justify their casual speeding by saying "but but but everyone else does it!". That'll set you up nicely for court when you hit a child in a residential area at 40-45 rather than 30 and kill them rather than injure them.

If everyone did the speed limit there would be less road rage, less emissions, and less wear and tear on your car.
Original post by Nuffles
I fixed it for you. The vast majority of people do the speed limit or close to it. I stick to 70mph on the motorway (with quick jaunts up to 80-85 if necessary but not for long) and pass more people than pass me. I do the speed limit elsewhere and I'm stuck behind more people than are stuck behind me.

On motorways, 48% of cars exceeded the speed limit in 2017, with 12% exceeding the speed limit by more than10mph.Single carriageway roads where the national speed limit applies (60 mph for cars) had the highest levels of speed limit compliance, with only 9% of cars exceeding the speed limit.On 30mph roads, 52% of cars exceeded the speed limit with 6% exceeding the speed limit by 10mph or more. On 20mph roads (under free flow conditions - which may not be typical of most 20 mph roads), 86% of cars exceeded the speed limit.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743878/vehicle-speed-compliance-statistics-2017.pdf
Original post by stimtothesky
So you’re saying that it’s ok for people to tailgate/get frustrated at people doing a marked 30 (which is actually 26-28) instead of a marked 32 (which is actually 28-30)? Those 2mph aren’t really worth worrying about are they?

It's the difference between third and fourth gear.
Original post by Admit-One
Complete. Nonsense.

Dunno like.. I sort of agree with them. Perhaps not the vast majority, but absolutely a majority.
Original post by the beer
On motorways, 48% of cars exceeded the speed limit in 2017, with 12% exceeding the speed limit by more than10mph.Single carriageway roads where the national speed limit applies (60 mph for cars) had the highest levels of speed limit compliance, with only 9% of cars exceeding the speed limit.On 30mph roads, 52% of cars exceeded the speed limit with 6% exceeding the speed limit by 10mph or more. On 20mph roads (under free flow conditions - which may not be typical of most 20 mph roads), 86% of cars exceeded the speed limit.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743878/vehicle-speed-compliance-statistics-2017.pdf

That's worrying in 20mph (and correctly-classified 30mph) zones. Pedestrian survival drops dramatically as speed increases.
Reply 118
Not sure, the majority of the people I know that, like you, have a cavalier attitude to speeding have ended up on awareness courses or with points. Of course you can get away without a accident for a very long time, but that doesn't take away from the fact that a significant cause of accidents is inappropriate speed.
Original post by desou
Hate to break it to you, but the majority of drivers spend their entire lives going well over the speed limit every time they get in the car, and never once have an accident or receive a penalty.
Original post by J0n3zviper
Passed my test last week and doing my best to stick to speed limits. I notice drivers cursing and driving up close because I am not going fast enough.. The thing is the road signs say 30pmph and I am doing 30.. So not sure what the problem is. There's a road I take to work which is a 30 and even has speed camera warnings (I believe they are mobile ones and I've yet to see any police activity in the area) people often do 50 on the road, one guy must have been hitting 80 at one point. Am I living in a dream world by obeying speed limits? I feel at danger by doing so! I don't want to lose my license.

Without being in the car with you its too hard to say, maybe you are impeding traffic. Your new atm so most importantly be SAFE, the more experience you get your driving will become more natural & improve and inline with normal traffic standards.

Latest

Trending

Trending