The Student Room Group

Will top universities look down on me for taking DT?

Can I get into top LSE, Oxford or St. Andrews If I take DT as one of my three subjects because I've received replies from users on this site saying that I can't get into those unis due to the fact that I take DT.

I'm currently predicted A*AA (Econ, Maths, DT) and i'm applying for economics and management for said universities.
Original post by loganau2001
Can I get into top LSE, Oxford or St. Andrews If I take DT as one of my three subjects because I've received replies from users on this site saying that I can't get into those unis due to the fact that I take DT.

I'm currently predicted A*AA (Econ, Maths, DT) and i'm applying for economics and management for said universities.

Your A levels look fine to me. If you want to make sure, you could email all of your preferred universities and ask them yourself. :fluffy:
Well, if you look at the LSE website, DT is on their list of non-preferred subjects, so it's no ideal. But... that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.
Original post by TheHof
Well, if you look at the LSE website, DT is on their list of non-preferred subjects, so it's no ideal. But... that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply.

DT may be on LSE's list of non preferred subjects but their guidelines go onto say: "A levels in generally preferred (traditional, academic)
subjects or two generally preferred subjects and one ‘non-preferred’ subject." This would indicate that it's not a no deal and that the OP would have a fair shot.

Again, I'd encourage you @loganau2001 to directly email the universities and enquire. :fluffy:
Obviously. However, Look it it like this.

If you're an admissions tutor and you have 100 spaces to fill and 500 applicants, you can pick and choose as many of you're applicants will far exceed the offer requirements.

Whilst they will never say don't apply, if you're up against people with three or four A* predictions for all traditionally academically preferred subjects (which I suggest will be the case for Oxford, LSE and St Andrews), means having DT may not be a bar in itself, but it's certainly not ideal.

However, the only way to ensure you won't get an offer is by not applying.
Original post by Quick-use
DT may be on LSE's list of non preferred subjects but their guidelines go onto say: "A levels in generally preferred (traditional, academic)
subjects or two generally preferred subjects and one ‘non-preferred’ subject." This would indicate that it's not a no deal and that the OP would have a fair shot.

Again, I'd encourage you @loganau2001 to directly email the universities and enquire. :fluffy:
I agree with @Quick-use that the best thing is to email LSE Admissions directly. I know that for straight Economics they prefer applicants to have Further Maths to at least A/S level, but that may well not be the case for Economics & Management,in which case the combination may well be fine.
@harrysbar@Quick-use @TheHof

Thanks for your input, I shall be emailing Oxford, LSE and St Andrews for more information.

Really appreciate the advice :biggrin:
The one problem you might find at the very top universities is they might want further Maths. Universities just below there wont.
I would also check out the UCAS Offer Rate Calculator. You may find that not having all A* predictions will hamper your chances much more than your subject combination for these universities.

If you meet their entry requirements, which you probably do, all the universities will tell you to apply.

But, if you can't exceed their entry requirements or can't get all A* predictions, you may have a less that 50% chance of getting offers from the top universities. (Of course, this doesn't mean you won't get an offer, but the percentages reduce.) If you want to improve your chances of getting a range of offers, consider applying to a few less competitive universities to increase your percentages.

If you end up applying to all really competitive universities and fail to get any offers, you can still go for UCAS extra. Otherwise, you could take your A Levels, do well in all your subjects, apply when you have your results in the bag and take a gap year.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending