The Student Room Group

Gap year med school reapplicant- any of you in the same boat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_J_B
Hey guys!
I'm reapplying for 2020 entry medicine. What are you guys doing over the summer? I'm preparing for the UCAT, doing some volunteering, but that's mainly it. And am also s***ing myself over A-Level results day.
Feel free to discuss!

HAHA Same here
WDy get in A levels
Original post by student0299
I’ll be reapplying for medicine but won’t be resitting anything though. Literally got rejection after rejection for med school last year. I hope next year will be better 😂

Same
Reply 82
Original post by Banshee123
HAHA Same here
WDy get in A levels

Hey I got A*A*A wbu if you don't mind?
Original post by A_J_B
Hey I got A*A*A.
What degree programme is it? Sorry for asking but I'm a bit confused. Did you go through clearing?

Congratulations!! Omg, that's absolutely AMAZING! Did you manage to get into a med school via clearing? Or are you gonna just reapply? either way, that's a massive achievement
My career plan for medicine was psychiatry. I had no chance of getting into med school with my grades so my alternative the whole time has been to do a psychology degree and do clinical psych.
My backup offer was for psychology and they basically gave me a place based on my previous grades and predictions and overall application (i've done a lot of extracurricular/leadership roles so my application was solid elsewhere, it was just these a level grades :frown:) I think that's why anyway, they did hint towards it heavily and my teachers seem to agree. the grades I got were not representative of my ability. Plus I did well in psychology a level so that was another point that helped.
I didn't go through clearing, thankfully, although the process I went through was equally as stressful but it's worked out because i'm at a Russell group now
Reply 84
Original post by Skeletonclique21
Congratulations!! Omg, that's absolutely AMAZING! Did you manage to get into a med school via clearing? Or are you gonna just reapply? either way, that's a massive achievement
My career plan for medicine was psychiatry. I had no chance of getting into med school with my grades so my alternative the whole time has been to do a psychology degree and do clinical psych.
My backup offer was for psychology and they basically gave me a place based on my previous grades and predictions and overall application (i've done a lot of extracurricular/leadership roles so my application was solid elsewhere, it was just these a level grades :frown:) I think that's why anyway, they did hint towards it heavily and my teachers seem to agree. the grades I got were not representative of my ability. Plus I did well in psychology a level so that was another point that helped.
I didn't go through clearing, thankfully, although the process I went through was equally as stressful but it's worked out because i'm at a Russell group now

Wow that's amazing! I wish you the best of luck doing what you have a passion for! Congrats!
Original post by A_J_B
Hey I got A*A*A wbu if you don't mind?

Good job
I did AAA
Original post by A_J_B
Wow that's amazing! I wish you the best of luck doing what you have a passion for! Congrats!

Thank you! Same to you x
Hey guys, I need some advice on my medical school choices.
My stats:
GCSE 3A*s and 7As
A level (achieve grades I’m on a gap year): A*AA (RS, Bio and Chen) and A* in epq.

I’m doing my UCAT on the 30th September as I only recents decided to take a gap year after results day - I originally had a place for medical science at Edinburgh.

So far I’m think of going to:
Edinburgh
UCL
Glasgow
KCL
And Edinburgh medical sciences as my fifth option.

I’ve done loads of work experience etc and my references are very strong.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Fezza101
Hey guys, I need some advice on my medical school choices.
My stats:
GCSE 3A*s and 7As
A level (achieve grades I’m on a gap year): A*AA (RS, Bio and Chen) and A* in epq.

I’m doing my UCAT on the 30th September as I only recents decided to take a gap year after results day - I originally had a place for medical science at Edinburgh.

So far I’m think of going to:
Edinburgh
UCL
Glasgow
KCL
And Edinburgh medical sciences as my fifth option.

I’ve done loads of work experience etc and my references are very strong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

i personally think if you do really well, you're better applying to another UCAT uni instead of UCL because you'll only have 1 month to revise for the BMAT - but that might be enough time for you! because with a good ucat score and those amazing grades btw you're almost guaranteed interviews in places like Birm, Notts, Sheffield, KCL and Edinburgh etc but then again its completely up to you!
Original post by sweetietweetie
i personally think if you do really well, you're better applying to another UCAT uni instead of UCL because you'll only have 1 month to revise for the BMAT - but that might be enough time for you! because with a good ucat score and those amazing grades btw you're almost guaranteed interviews in places like Birm, Notts, Sheffield, KCL and Edinburgh etc but then again its completely up to you!

Thank you for the advice I’ll definitely keep that in mind. For the UCAT how much revision do you think is enough on a daily basis ? I really need to get over 700 for Edinburgh and KCL. Thank you 😊
Original post by Fezza101
Thank you for the advice I’ll definitely keep that in mind. For the UCAT how much revision do you think is enough on a daily basis ? I really need to get over 700 for Edinburgh and KCL. Thank you 😊

so you've got exactly a month, so I say start with 1-2 hours for the first 2 weeks then up to 2-3 hours for the last 2 weeks and tbh it's not always a measure of how long you do but how much you improve on a section or sections in a sitting - i'd defo recommend getting medify and you will defo get 700+!
is it just me or does anyone else resitiing for medicine feel like smahing their UKCAT cuz it's a bit weird being out of education after 18 years of colllege/school.......I don't know I just feel like I have something to prove regarding the UKCAT. Saying that I know I'm gonna get a worse score than last year :frown:
Original post by The Memory Cell
Offers received in 2018:
University of Manchester (A106) - FIRMED
University of Sheffield (A100) - INSURED
UKCAT (2019): 2660, UKCAT (2020): Pending
A-Levels (2019): AAB (Biology, Chemistry, and Maths respectively)

I have my UKCAT booked, however, I am trying to appeal my rejection as I was extremely unwell during paper 1 maths, which pulled my overall grade down.

How many marks off A were you in maths? maybe go for remark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending