The Student Room Group

Keeping Calm and Cavying on at Uni MKIII: Third Year Tribulations

Scroll to see replies

Well done for accomplishing so much :headfire: Can't believe you made a roast dinner :eek: Like I miss it, and I'm perfectly capable of making it but still not doing one :lol: Kind of jealous ngl :colondollar: Haven't done my laundry either lol Not jealous of you being called at 3am though, thankfully my mum does not do such hours!
Such a cool mug :koala: And have a super time with shadow and bubbles on Saturday :jumphug:
18/10/19
Including wednesday on this because was too tired to update it before :hide:
Didn't sleep on tuesday night because couldnt get to sleep :s-smilie: so consequently went to dbt with no sleep lol.
Did feel nervous as was meeting the new people for the first time, was two girls (so we are now an all girl group, like some disordered girl band :rofl: ).
The first girl was pretty hot am ngl :hide: she's all gothic and that is the aesthetic i like. Naturally she has a boyfriend, should learn to expect these things.
Second girl was a bit lacking in description, am not sure how to describe her other than she looks quite wholesome and young despite the fact that judging by what she was saying she isn't.
Was a bit shy doing the diary round because of the new people, did try to mention the creatures that i think live in the woods and communicate in white noise but felt stupid saying it and like everyone was silently judging me. Only said it because shadow told me to tell the dbt people.
Coke girl asked me for a pound which i just said i didnt have because i remembered people on here saying that after giving her the pound last time i should be careful that she doesnt think im just a bank of pounds.
After the DBT session one of the therapy women kept me back to talk slightly about the creatures. She said it was like a smoke alarm for no fire which am not entirely sure how helpful that is but still.
Nipped to the loos in the MH place before i went to the SU for mentoring. Thought i was going to be late as accidentally went the longer route but got there only like a minute late.
We just talked about the research i am doing and my mentor found the subject specific librarian for my course for me so she said to go and book a slot with her as she can show me how to do better search results.
After mentoring went to lidl although was feeling quite rough at this point, was happy to catch the bus and go home.
Today i woke up at 7am ( :afraid: ) to go and give my ethics form in, i only woke up so early because i needed to print it off as my printer decided to choose this moment to run out of black ink :colonhash: I gave myself a lot of time for printing because the uni printers are so confusing and with it being a new building i didnt know where they were in the first place.
I got to the 4th floor as i really needed the toilet and as i was heading there my tutor decided to talk to me for 10 minutes about whether i needed my ethics form approved today or if it was fine to give it back on monday. Cue awkward squirming and crossing of legs.
She finally let me go and whilst i was in the toilet i booked the doctors as it is only across the canal and i had no meds so i really needed to go.
Once i had um relieved myself :hide: i went to go and print my form off, for some reason it printed automatically, usually you have to sign into the printer and it's ridiculously confusing. Put it in a folder i brought with me and handed it into the tutor.
After that i hot footed it to the doctors for my 9am appointment. Got my meds, put them into the pharmacy in sainsburys, picked them up and then caught the bus home.
Am just so tired :redface: like constantly :redface: no amount of sleep helps even when i do have a relatively ok sleep with less vivid nightmares (never have no nightmares just varying levels of intensity).
Am looking forward to seeing bubbles and shadow tomorrow though :smile: should be good

Original post by Lemur14
Well done for accomplishing so much :headfire: Can't believe you made a roast dinner :eek: Like I miss it, and I'm perfectly capable of making it but still not doing one :lol: Kind of jealous ngl :colondollar: Haven't done my laundry either lol Not jealous of you being called at 3am though, thankfully my mum does not do such hours!
Such a cool mug :koala: And have a super time with shadow and bubbles on Saturday :jumphug:

Original post by Muttley79
Sorry to hear you have no hot water and the boiler is playing up :console:

Very impressed with your cooking - sounds delicious.

Well done on the research; it all sounds good. I think talking to vets is a great idea; are there some near uni you could also talk to?

Our old house had a badger sett in the land behind us and we used to get frequent visits. They loved digging in the lawn which made rather a mess ... I think something to prevent them passing on TB is a great idea.

That mug is great - someone got me Muttley and Wacky Races mugs for Christmas last year which are my current favourites :smile:

My cold is still hanging around [thanks Year 7] and the weather is so wet and chilly that everyone is stuck indoors.

Take care Cavy and hope the boiler is sorted soon.:hugs:

Thanks both :hugs:
Uni printers are confusing, took me ages to work it out. So you are not the only one. 😊. Hope you enjoy meeting bubbles and shadow tomorrow. We’ve all had that moment when somebody has a chat with you when needing the loo, that is not a comfortable feeling. 😂.

Have a good one cavy, stay strong. ☺️
OMG, don't even start me on printers :nothing: Or people holding you up with convos when you're dying for the loo :bawling:

Proud of you for saying no to giving Coke girl a pound :h: and I'm sure the people running DBT would have advised you the same as I did about that :yep: Maybe I'm just over-wary after someone from my mental health volunteering got me to give him a fair bit of money (which I didn't necessarily have going spare!), but better safe than sorry :redface:

Also proud of you for mentioning what shadow had said to mention - not easy in front of new people :nah:
Have a lovely time with shadow and bubbles tomorrow :hugs: Well done for going to DBT even though you'd had no sleep :heart: And for getting up so early this morning :eek: 7am is a time I hopefully won't be seeing this term (I have to wake up at 7:15 for my 9ams...)
Hope you have a lovely day with Shadow and Bubbles today :hugs:
Thanks so much for the update.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling to sleep - have you mentioned this to the doctor?

I hope your sink and boiler are both OK - I assume the lack of a mention means they are :smile:

Well done for speaking out at DBT - who cares what the others think - it's your needs that matter here :smile:

Really hope you are having a fantastic time with Shadow and Bubbles - I look forward to hearing about it.

Take care Cavy - :hugs:
21/10/19
Today was a day of two halves really. Woke up at 8ish, sebastian was still up which was unusual as he usually goes to bed about 6.
Got up and got dressed to get the bus for my 9:15 lecture.
The lecture felt pretty pointless tbh, was just the woman tutor berating the whole class cos apparently our ethics forms were collectively crap. Like if it's collectively crap surely that reflects more on her than it does us...
Anyway i collected mine and it looked ok, it's been approved subject to conditions so have to change a few bits. Least it wasnt straight out rejected.
Walked to asda as had no stuff in then caught the bus back. Rested for a bit, went to collect my ink from the reception then caught the bus back to uni.
This sweet old lady kept talking to me at the bus stop, this happens frequently tbh, i just seem to be a magnet for elderly ladies telling me their life stories :lol: i dont mind tbh, is quite interesting half the time as they have a lot of life experience.
Got to the studio for about 1pm, my tutorial with the nice male tutor was at 1:15. I was the only one there for some reason but i didnt mind cos could spend the whole time going through my topics and stuff.
For next tutorial i have to do a flowchart, empathy canvas and persona canvas for all the users in each topic. I find it so cute how the guinea pigs and hamsters count as users :lol:. A persona canvas is basically a fake character that shows typical traits of that user group, can't wait to do the rodent persona canvas :lol: will be cute.
Here is a random picture i took when i was walking across the river:
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-21 at 12.54.47.jpeg

Original post by Andrew97
Uni printers are confusing, took me ages to work it out. So you are not the only one. 😊. Hope you enjoy meeting bubbles and shadow tomorrow. We’ve all had that moment when somebody has a chat with you when needing the loo, that is not a comfortable feeling. 😂.

Have a good one cavy, stay strong. ☺️

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
OMG, don't even start me on printers :nothing: Or people holding you up with convos when you're dying for the loo :bawling:

Proud of you for saying no to giving Coke girl a pound :h: and I'm sure the people running DBT would have advised you the same as I did about that :yep: Maybe I'm just over-wary after someone from my mental health volunteering got me to give him a fair bit of money (which I didn't necessarily have going spare!), but better safe than sorry :redface:

Also proud of you for mentioning what shadow had said to mention - not easy in front of new people :nah:

Original post by Lemur14
Have a lovely time with shadow and bubbles tomorrow :hugs: Well done for going to DBT even though you'd had no sleep :heart: And for getting up so early this morning :eek: 7am is a time I hopefully won't be seeing this term (I have to wake up at 7:15 for my 9ams...)

Original post by harrysbar
Hope you have a lovely day with Shadow and Bubbles today :hugs:

Thanks so much for the update.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling to sleep - have you mentioned this to the doctor?

I hope your sink and boiler are both OK - I assume the lack of a mention means they are :smile:

Well done for speaking out at DBT - who cares what the others think - it's your needs that matter here :smile:

Really hope you are having a fantastic time with Shadow and Bubbles - I look forward to hearing about it.

Take care Cavy - :hugs:

:hugs:
Sounds like a productive day and I agree about the ethics person - obviously didn't explain it well enough.

Another great photo - some interesting colours and shadows.

The rodent persona canvas sounds really great and I can imagine how much fun that is going to be - can you give your character a name?

You are so kind to chat to older ladies - I expect a lot of them are lonely and talking to you may be the highlight of their week :smile: I agree about life experiences - I know a 93 year old lady who was a dancer in Paris and she has some very interesting stories to tell!

My cold has, at last, cleared up and I'm looking forward to half-term and a break from marking and UCAS.

Take care Cavy :hugs:
Why are you always on PRSOM :sad:
Glad you had a good tutorial, can't believe you were the only one there :eek:
23/10/19
Have not been sleeping well. Woke up the other night actually screaming, so that was a fun experience. I dont think people realise how draining nightmares all the time actually are. Am tired before i've even done anything. Not that people go out of their way to consider this, seems to be a common theme of thoughtlessness recently to be honest. People dont seem to understand me as a whole and am clearly not good enough despite trying my best.
DBT was on this theme. Interpersonal effectiveness i think it is called. Discovered that one of the girls who joined last week (the non-gothic one) is studying interior design so we had a collective moan about the new building :shakecane: Was only 3 of us today. This is the last module before it rotates around (if we choose to stay on) to what we have done before. Was more confident this week as am getting to know the new people.
After DBT had a quick NHS toilet loo break then as it wasnt too late before mentoring i did some quick shopping in home and bargains and brought a slushy from the market.
Got stuck behind a massive crowd of college students so was a couple minutes late for mentoring but she didnt mind so. We went through my ethics form that i got back on monday and having actually looked at it there isnt much to change. Have been tweaking it this evening so i can give it in during my tutorial tomorrow. We also have to write a paragraph on our research for then so she can see how we are writing it. Shouldnt take too long hopefully.
Caught the half 2 bus after mentoring and chilled for a bit when i got back. The upstairs bathroom is out of order for some reason and locked off which is a bit of a pain because my shampoo is locked inside but my housemate says i can use hers so that's kind of her.
We dont have a reading week but instead we have this random 'creative week' thing next week so am just going to carry on my research. Potentially may go home to interview the vet as obviously that needs doing relatively soonish. Would be good to see my parent and my guineas anyway :smile:
As it's my birthday in about 2 weeks will be seeing my parent then anyway as they are coming out to visit (which is good since at least when everyone else forgets will be able to spend time with them) but obviously is nice to see them sooner.
Have filed down Sebastian's incisors so that's done for another month. For those wondering why this needs doing it is because he has 3 incisors (his fourth randomly decided to fall out one day) so the tooth opposite the one that fell out doesnt have anything to rub against to get worn down. This means it overgrows and when it overgrows it like curves round like a claw so if it was left it would puncture the roof of his mouth. Now i could take him to a vet for this however they have to put him under anaesthetic and given this needs doing once a month this would not be good for his heart. I think filing it with an emery board once in a while is a much kinder alternative since they have no nerves in their teeth so is like filing a nail. He forgets soon after which is helped with some placating cheese chunks. I also made him a new house out of the box my ink cartridges came in :biggrin: should last a few weeks before it meets it's demise through being eaten or weeed on :hide:

Sounds like a productive day and I agree about the ethics person - obviously didn't explain it well enough.

Another great photo - some interesting colours and shadows.

The rodent persona canvas sounds really great and I can imagine how much fun that is going to be - can you give your character a name?

You are so kind to chat to older ladies - I expect a lot of them are lonely and talking to you may be the highlight of their week :smile: I agree about life experiences - I know a 93 year old lady who was a dancer in Paris and she has some very interesting stories to tell!

My cold has, at last, cleared up and I'm looking forward to half-term and a break from marking and UCAS.

Original post by Lemur14
Why are you always on PRSOM :sad:
Glad you had a good tutorial, can't believe you were the only one there :eek:

Thanks both :heart: We do name the characters muttley :biggrin:

@DiddyDecAlt here's my new blog btw :hugs: :heart:
(edited 4 years ago)
I'll never forget your birthday Cavy :tongue:
Original post by CoolCavy

@DiddyDecAlt here's my new blog btw :hugs: :heart:

Thank you Cavy :hugs:

I didn't forget your birthday, I have it saved in my calendar.
I won't forget your birthday either! :jumphug: (be prepared for a funny text on WhatsApp :ninja: )
You are brilliant - never doubt it - you are talented and kind :smile: A very special person.

I'm sorry to hear your sleep is still disrupted because that makes anyone feel sad.

I love that photo and the way Sebastian is peeping out of his new castle - and your little sketch is so cute :smile:

Hang in there Cavy - and hope your project continues to go well :hugs:
Another one who won't forget your birthday :jumphug:
Wish we had a creative week...a chance to not have 9ams whatever it's called sounds good :lol:
Good luck with your research! Such a pain about the bathroom, suppose it's better than it being out of order but open and someone deciding to use it and potentially leaking everywhere or something :redface:
Still loving Sebastian's cave :heart:
27/10/19
Havent updated in a while as lots of small things have happened over the days but not enough to fill a day post really so here we are with the past few days since thursday combined :biggrin:
On Thursday i had my tutorial, we had to write the paragraph for it and i was pretty happy with my paragraph to be honest. I found out loads of useful stuff about Bovine TB and how there are more infectious unit per ml in urine than in faeces which is a golden (no pun intended :tongue: ) nugget of information. I think any concept idea i come up with for that topic will be around preventing badger interaction at feeders and stuff like that.
I also updated my ethics form with the relevant stuff although it transpired that i didnt actually need to resubmit it but oh well i have an up to date perfect form now.
In the tutorial there is about 6 of us so obviously we dont have time to go through every single person's paragraph so the tutor went through about 3 and pointed out errors that we could apply to ours if that makes sense. I dont wish to sound snobby here but i do think i write a bit better than the majority of people on the course. I think as designers we can often be not the most academic as our strength is creative but i absolutely love academics and i think doing a-level history really set me up well for writing these research reports. I mean its essentially the same thing, make a point supported by source evidence and use it to formulate your opinion. I also really like reading academic journals about the topics i have chosen it's super interesting.
My tutor said it was lovely to see me so enthused about the project and also a bit more confident than usual :smile:.
My sink tap is so wobbly and has been ever since the plumber came to fix the leak so i have been trying to pester the accommodation to sort it but unfortunately its not really up to them because they outsource the plumbers so its getting fixed when it gets fixed it seems like. I asked in reception and apparently someone is coming next week so i hope they do as the upstairs bathroom is out of order and the one downstairs is so small and claustrophobic and obviously i wash my clothes in the bath :bath:
My parent rang me on friday to say that they had booked an appointment with the vet for me to interview next wednesday. Next week is my reading week although it's not called that it's a 'creative week' but it's the same thing lol.
Am going home on tuesday as my father goes back to his work on monday night and also because i have a 1-1 with my DBT therapist on monday. I will have to politely explain that i need to miss the session on wednesday as am doing uni primary research. She will be fine with that she's pretty chill tbh.
Am excited to go home to see my parent and also my lovely guinea pig (well i have two but i have a favourite :shh: ). I think when you have an elderly guinea every moment is even more precious. On saturday we are hopefully going to go to our favourite city. I dont want to say where it is as it's quite close to where i live but it's absolutely beautiful in autumn, all of the tourists go and it has such an amazing feel. Its full of old roman architecture and is just an amazing place. Wouldnt mind living there when i graduate to be honest. I could have gone to uni there but then i would have ended up living at home and i wanted to get away from my father and also be more independent.
When i go home sebastian is coming obviously :lol: he's very much enjoying his new cardboard house :rofl:
It's also Lemur's birthday today so if you feel so inclined please wish her a happy birthday here :woo:

Original post by DrawTheLine
I'll never forget your birthday Cavy :tongue:

Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Thank you Cavy :hugs:

I didn't forget your birthday, I have it saved in my calendar.

You are brilliant - never doubt it - you are talented and kind :smile: A very special person.

I'm sorry to hear your sleep is still disrupted because that makes anyone feel sad.

I love that photo and the way Sebastian is peeping out of his new castle - and your little sketch is so cute :smile:

Hang in there Cavy - and hope your project continues to go well :hugs:

Original post by Pathway
I won't forget your birthday either! :jumphug: (be prepared for a funny text on WhatsApp :ninja: )

Original post by Lemur14
Another one who won't forget your birthday :jumphug:
Wish we had a creative week...a chance to not have 9ams whatever it's called sounds good :lol:
Good luck with your research! Such a pain about the bathroom, suppose it's better than it being out of order but open and someone deciding to use it and potentially leaking everywhere or something :redface:
Still loving Sebastian's cave :heart:

Thank you everyone :heart: appreciate you all :grouphugs:
Glad that your tutor noticed your blossoming confidence :h: Enjoy your time with your parent :h:
Thank you Cavy for making such interesting posts and for the great photos you take.

I think you are right about your written work being good - a lot of design students don't do an A level in an essay subject like History.

Great to hear you have an interview booked with your vet - they should be really useful. Also I'm pleased to see your tutor is noticing your contributions and enthusiasm :smile:

Hope you and Sebastian have a great time with your parent and that your guinea pigs enjoy your visit home :smile: Perhaps the sink/bathroom issues will be sorted when you get back?

I'm going to catch up with a few friends this week and enjoy a few meals out :smile:

Sounds like you've been super productive :jumphug: Glad you're getting to go home and see your guinea pig (and do your research!), have a safe journey home :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending