The Student Room Group

How do I concentrate when driving?

(Never had an ADHD diagnosis but have struggled with impulsivity, inattention and hyperactivity to quite a severe level since starting preschool).

Before driving lessons, just a quick rundown of how bad I can (and often am) be:
At work (a warehouse) I have been nearly knocked down by the forklift more times than I can remember
I make so many mistakes there everyone calls me a stoner since I apparently always look spaced out and make the most stupid mistakes imaginable.
I can be looking someone in the face and not even be aware they are speaking
I chronically “ignore” people (I don’t, I just don’t follow auditory instructions well since I struggle to listen)
I nearly get run down by cars in the street a lot
I lost every single pair of my school clothes more than once while in primary school and high school
I am chronically late for things and awful with time (I hyperfocus too much sometimes)
I control my impulses better now but I also struggle to make any decision, even simple ones sometimes
I am terrible with organising and planning. Absolutely awful. I was a chronic procrastinator in college.
Etc, etc, etc...

Now, on my driving lessons, so far I have merely hit a cyclist
Newrly rear ended a parked bus
Nearly hit a parked car and a also a parked van
Nearly ran traffic lights because I didn’t see them and my instructor emergency braked
Completely looked past a roundabout (somehow, not sure how that’s even possible...) and had to brake dead late
And besides that, I struggle to manage the clutch, hesitate too much since I don’t want to do anything impulsively and miss a car or something, I keep stalling the car (after 13 hours) because I struggle to coordinate the clutch and the brakes (I’m fine pulling off though).

My instructor is really, really nice, and teaches really well. He has too much pateince for me and I feel bad for him. He can raise his voice sometimes, and shout, understandably since I take so long to follow his instructions he has to raise his voice to make me listen...

He keeps asking me how I want to be taught and how he can help me, and has constantly change his ideas on how to teach me since I still struggle with the fundamental basics. I know what to do in theory, I know the theory very well, I just struggle to focus enough to put it into practise while driving.

What ideas can anyone give me (besides medication since I don’t like that idea) to help my focus and coordination while driving?
I either hyperfocus too much on braking or hazards or turning or whatever or I don’t focus at all. I’m struggling to find a middle ground.

Thanks.
Reply 1
personally, i’d say that you’d need to get that professionally checked out. it’s not even just driving your concerns should be about. normal day to day things need concentration, and maybe you need to book a doctor appointment and get yourself medicated. doctors and professionals can advise you and prescribe you with medications that increase your concentration.

obviously as the other guy said, get your eyes checked out. that can be a contributing factor.

in the meantime, you could ask your instructor to put on the radio or some form of music. that could help you not lose focus. but really you’d need to go to your GP and request advice
Original post by AquaGuy
(Never had an ADHD diagnosis but have struggled with impulsivity, inattention and hyperactivity to quite a severe level since starting preschool).

Before driving lessons, just a quick rundown of how bad I can (and often am) be:
At work (a warehouse) I have been nearly knocked down by the forklift more times than I can remember
I make so many mistakes there everyone calls me a stoner since I apparently always look spaced out and make the most stupid mistakes imaginable.
I can be looking someone in the face and not even be aware they are speaking
I chronically “ignore” people (I don’t, I just don’t follow auditory instructions well since I struggle to listen)
I nearly get run down by cars in the street a lot
I lost every single pair of my school clothes more than once while in primary school and high school
I am chronically late for things and awful with time (I hyperfocus too much sometimes)
I control my impulses better now but I also struggle to make any decision, even simple ones sometimes
I am terrible with organising and planning. Absolutely awful. I was a chronic procrastinator in college.
Etc, etc, etc...

Now, on my driving lessons, so far I have merely hit a cyclist
Newrly rear ended a parked bus
Nearly hit a parked car and a also a parked van
Nearly ran traffic lights because I didn’t see them and my instructor emergency braked
Completely looked past a roundabout (somehow, not sure how that’s even possible...) and had to brake dead late
And besides that, I struggle to manage the clutch, hesitate too much since I don’t want to do anything impulsively and miss a car or something, I keep stalling the car (after 13 hours) because I struggle to coordinate the clutch and the brakes (I’m fine pulling off though).

My instructor is really, really nice, and teaches really well. He has too much pateince for me and I feel bad for him. He can raise his voice sometimes, and shout, understandably since I take so long to follow his instructions he has to raise his voice to make me listen...

He keeps asking me how I want to be taught and how he can help me, and has constantly change his ideas on how to teach me since I still struggle with the fundamental basics. I know what to do in theory, I know the theory very well, I just struggle to focus enough to put it into practise while driving.

What ideas can anyone give me (besides medication since I don’t like that idea) to help my focus and coordination while driving?
I either hyperfocus too much on braking or hazards or turning or whatever or I don’t focus at all. I’m struggling to find a middle ground.

Thanks.
Reply 2
My eyesight is actually okay, I’ve worn glasses all my life and every time I go for another eye test they say my eyes are getting better. I can actually read a number place further away than what’s required.
Reply 3
With the music, I never know how or when it’ll distract me since it can either help or hinder. I would like to try it when I get more practise though if I’d be allowed.
Original post by samh665
personally, i’d say that you’d need to get that professionally checked out. it’s not even just driving your concerns should be about. normal day to day things need concentration, and maybe you need to book a doctor appointment and get yourself medicated. doctors and professionals can advise you and prescribe you with medications that increase your concentration.

obviously as the other guy said, get your eyes checked out. that can be a contributing factor.

in the meantime, you could ask your instructor to put on the radio or some form of music. that could help you not lose focus. but really you’d need to go to your GP and request advice
Reply 4
Not exactly, although I have known that to happen before but mainly when I’ve had too much caffeine or I feel tired or I don’t have enough to eat. It’s more that I don’t see at all really, like if you’re asked to imagine something and you get so lost in the thought you can be looking directly at something and not even be aware something is in front of you. But you mentioning diabetes makes me think I might have a blood sugar problem because I do get really low and quite moody when I don’t eat for too long which badly affects my focus and could never have sweets as a kid due to me bouncing off the walls, even fruit can make my go a little hyper even today...
Reply 5
Not exactly, although I have known that to happen before but mainly when I’ve had too much caffeine or I feel tired or I don’t have enough to eat. It’s more that I don’t see at all really, like if you’re asked to imagine something and you get so lost in the thought you can be looking directly at something and not even be aware something is in front of you. But you mentioning diabetes makes me think I might have a blood sugar problem because I do get really low and quite moody when I don’t eat for too long which badly affects my focus and could never have sweets as a kid due to me bouncing off the walls, even fruit can make my go a little hyper even today...
Reply 6
Wow, I’ve been like that before if I eat too much sugar in high enough quantities for a few days I crash badly and could easily sleep all day. I have for the past decade, I remember noticing it in high school but had high anxiety so put it down to that, occasionally woken up really shaky and used to wake up with constant headaches which I no longer get and I haven’t woken up shaky for years.
Reply 7
I think refined carbs affect me, but maybe not more than other people. If I eat them a lot I just get a little sleepy.
And no I wasn’t ever obese, I now have a perfectly average BMI around 21 with about 15/20% body fat. I went vegan and lost aboit a stone a few years ago so it was never thar bad, I did eat an insane amount of junk food though, really unhealthy.
Reply 8
Hey sorry for bumping the late thread but how did you overcome this? As I'm having the exact same problem as you are and it's so frustrating

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending