The Student Room Group

Should you choose a home away from home?

When I was choosing where to go for University, I was set on staying in Ireland and going to the closest University by my home. However when it came to results day, I didn’t get the right grades to go to the University I originally applied for. This left me having to think of other options thus applying through clearing.

Clearing seemed as if it was going to be a daunting experience, however the process was pretty straight forward. Having friends from home that I knew were heading over to Liverpool for studies made my choice of where to go a lot easier.

Liverpool is home to many students from Ireland and is known to be one of the friendliest cities in the UK, it certainly lived up to its expectations. Liverpool is great for students, there is always something to do and you grow so much throughout your time at University.

Another deciding factor for moving to Liverpool is to how easy it is to get home. With flights to Belfast and Derry airport this meant I had more options to decide when I wanted to head home.

Travelling around the city is easy with regular buses into the city centre. With student bus tickets costing less than £2 and having the additional Liverpool Hope free shuttle bus which runs between three campuses (one being in the city centre) really helps the student loan!:clap2:

A major factor for choosing Liverpool is the reputation of the Gaelic football teams which meet the high standards of those I played at home. Hundreds of male and female Irish students from all three of the city’s universities flock to both Greenbank and Wavertree Parks just off the student area of Smithdown on Saturday and Sunday mornings to take part in the Higher Education Gaelic sports.

Being a part of the Gaelic team at Hope University and part of the wider Irish community in Liverpool has made my experience at University rewarding, but also comforting. Knowing that there are others that have also moved over and share the same experiences is a great addition if you ever feel homesick. You have an Irish community there to support you. :party:

I hope this has helped if you are choosing home or away for University.

Go raibh maith agat!

Ruth :lep:
In my opinion I would say choose away from home. It has benefits. For one, you become more focused person on his/her studies. You also make new friends. Don’t go university because your friends go there, it’s the time you need to follow yourself and your heart when you reach at uni stage. The friends you knew in your back home, they’re still your friends so why not make new ones as well because I can tell you it’s good to try new things in life.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
When I was choosing where to go for University, I was set on staying in Ireland and going to the closest University by my home. However when it came to results day, I didn’t get the right grades to go to the University I originally applied for. This left me having to think of other options thus applying through clearing.

Clearing seemed as if it was going to be a daunting experience, however the process was pretty straight forward. Having friends from home that I knew were heading over to Liverpool for studies made my choice of where to go a lot easier.

Liverpool is home to many students from Ireland and is known to be one of the friendliest cities in the UK, it certainly lived up to its expectations. Liverpool is great for students, there is always something to do and you grow so much throughout your time at University.

Another deciding factor for moving to Liverpool is to how easy it is to get home. With flights to Belfast and Derry airport this meant I had more options to decide when I wanted to head home.

Travelling around the city is easy with regular buses into the city centre. With student bus tickets costing less than £2 and having the additional Liverpool Hope free shuttle bus which runs between three campuses (one being in the city centre) really helps the student loan!:clap2:

A major factor for choosing Liverpool is the reputation of the Gaelic football teams which meet the high standards of those I played at home. Hundreds of male and female Irish students from all three of the city’s universities flock to both Greenbank and Wavertree Parks just off the student area of Smithdown on Saturday and Sunday mornings to take part in the Higher Education Gaelic sports.

Being a part of the Gaelic team at Hope University and part of the wider Irish community in Liverpool has made my experience at University rewarding, but also comforting. Knowing that there are others that have also moved over and share the same experiences is a great addition if you ever feel homesick. You have an Irish community there to support you. :party:

I hope this has helped if you are choosing home or away for University.

Go raibh maith agat!

Ruth :lep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending