The Student Room Group

Which universities offer Hispanic Law??

Hi there!

I am looking for universities that offer Law and Hispanic law. However, there are not many universities that offer it so I'd appreciate any information on universities do have it. I am aware that there is already an existing thread on universities that offer Law and Spanish but I'm more interested in doing Hispanic Law rather than the Spanish language and Law combination.

So far I've looked at UCL/ KCS/ Leeds and Nottingham. (Nottingham offers Spanish and law rather than Hispanic law.)

Are there any other universities that offer the course I'm looking for? I'd like to apply for 2020.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I'd appreciate any advice or help.
Moved to the Law forum :smile:
Liverpool do a joint honours in Law with Hispanic studies (not Hispanic Law tho)
Metropolitan University of Madrid.
Original post by Notoriety
Metropolitan University of Madrid.

Beat me to it.
Queens University Belfast do LLB Law with Hispanic studies, Sheffield do LLB Law (with Spanish Law)...
Bristol also offers Hispanic Studies (includes Spanish, Portuguese or Catalan) with an appropriate Year Abroad in Spain, Portugal or Latin America : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2019/spanish/ba-hispanic-studies/
I hope OP comes back :redface:
Reply 8
Thank you for the suggestions. Just checked out Bristol's and despite being the course being called "Law and Spanish" there seem to be many opportunities to learn about the Spanish/ Hispanic-based legal system, so I'll definitely think about applying there. Thank you for the help.

Original post by harrysbar
Moved to the Law forum :smile:

Many thanks!

Queens University Belfast do LLB Law with Hispanic studies, Sheffield do LLB Law (with Spanish Law)...

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
Reply 9
Original post by Notoriety
Metropolitan University of Madrid

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll have a look at their course.
Reply 10
Liverpool do a joint honours in Law with Hispanic studies (not Hispanic Law tho)

Although Liverpool is a great university I'd prefer to do a course that focuses on Hispanic law rather than Hispanic studies. Thank you for help either way though.
Original post by -student
Although Liverpool is a great university I'd prefer to do a course that focuses on Hispanic law rather than Hispanic studies. Thank you for help either way though.

You need a little knowledge to understand why you are looking for something that doesn't really exist. Spain (or those parts of Spain that were under Christian control) and Portugal received Roman law from the 11th century onwards and transmitted that law to their respective Empires. For several centuries much of Europe used scholarly commentary on Roman law as its principal source of law.

However, many of those colonies particularly in South America, became independent before the 19th Century process of codification following the Code Napoleon was complete. Those independent Republics took part in those codification processes but each one did so independently and drawing upon the whole of what had gone before and not merely on what the former mother country was doing. So Chile draws on Spain, France, Germany and Louisiana. Paraguay was based on that of Argentina until thirty years ago.

So you have a lot of law in Spanish but it is not a single body of law. Pre-independence Spanish property law is still highly relevant in the Southern USA and some of the leading scholarship is undertaken there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending