The Student Room Group

Ask a student who went through Clearing!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shelbywilsher88
I’m in a bit of a weird position - I applied via a form to the university direct instead of using UCAS (long story short I don’t have A-levels). That was last week. How long will it take until I hear back from them to know whether I’ve got a place?

Hi :hi:
Interesting! I would say this depends on the University but most likely results day may be when they get back to you if their giving you a place depends on the places they have available.
If I were you though, I'd try to get into contact with them about it if you've not received any confirmation of your application etc. since applying just to ensure everything is alright :yy:

FYI: Phone lines will be incredibly busy on results day itself so may be good to try calling now should you want to :smile:
Thank you so much!
Original post by shelbywilsher88
Thank you so much!

no problem! have a great day :cube:
Here for all your Clearing needs

#AskACheeseTM

:bump:
Reply 44
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Here for all your Clearing needs

#AskACheeseTM

:bump:

You mean #AskAVegetableTM :tongue:

Since I've last posted on here, I'm still anxious and nervous about results day and just praying I get the grades so I can reassess my options. I've also done a lot of university research apart from York, who are in clearing and the looked at the course in detail - what modules I can do and how the course is assessed.

I have a few more questions though... Aside from having the obvious things at hand, what questions do they normally ask aside from the obvious ones? :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
You mean #AskAVegetableTM :tongue:

Since I've last posted on here, I'm still anxious and nervous about results day and just praying I get the grades so I can reassess my options. I've also done a lot of university research apart from York, who are in clearing and the looked at the course in detail - what modules I can do and how the course is assessed.

I have a few more questions though... Aside from having the obvious things at hand, what questions do they normally ask aside from the obvious ones? :smile:

That works too :mmm:

Here for you :penguinhug: :grouphugs: you're gonna be okay :yep: no matter what happens you've got it covered :whip:
:jumphug: awesome to hear you're researching and preparing!
It's a really nerve-wracking time and I'd try as much as possible to take your mind off things if you can :redface: I'm doing a guess the tune quiz thing tonight if you're free :innocent:
Make sure you also take a look into things like - accommodation, campus, stuff to do near uni etc... (shapes your uni experience :borat: )

They don't really tend to ask that many questions.
They normally only really want grades, your names, numbers and the course you're interested in.
(I called up around 12-15 unis when I went through clearing and only spoke to admissions tutors twice and I think it was mostly because the original Clearing Hotline person couldn't answer my question).
So please don't worry about it! If you have any questions for them - that would be good to ask at that point :yy:

:hugs: you're awesome C+P!
Reply 46

Here for you :penguinhug: :grouphugs: you're gonna be okay :yep: no matter what happens you've got it covered :whip:
It's a really nerve-wracking time and I'd try as much as possible to take your mind off things if you can :redface: I'm doing a guess the tune quiz thing tonight if you're free :innocent:
Make sure you also take a look into things like - accommodation, campus, stuff to do near uni etc... (shapes your uni experience :borat: )

They normally only really want grades, your names, numbers and the course you're interested in.
(I called up around 12-15 unis when I went through clearing and only spoke to admissions tutors twice and I think it was mostly because the original Clearing Hotline person couldn't answer my question).
So please don't worry about it! If you have any questions for them - that would be good to ask at that point :yy:

Thank you once again! I'm probably going to be following Liverpool FC's first game of the 19/20 season at home to Norwich City but I don't have a subscription to Sky Sports/BT Sports :frown:. I'll defo consider giving the guess the tune quiz thing a shot. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Thank you once again! I'm probably going to be following Liverpool FC's first game of the 19/20 season at home to Norwich City but I don't have a subscription to Sky Sports/BT Sports :frown:. I'll defo consider giving the guess the tune quiz thing a shot. :smile:

ew :yucky: watch something else C+P
there's a perfectly good series out there called Doctor Who :flute:

yay :woohoo: maybe I'll tag you - it starts at 7pm
It's not necessarily about clearing, but do universities receive our raw marks?

If not, is it worth, say you're close to the requirements but you miss one grade, contacting them if you were a mark/two off (and you're not considering a remark)? Or, for example, if you sat three papers and two were the required grade, and one was way below, do you think it'd be worth contacting?
Reply 49
ew :yucky: watch something else C+P
there's a perfectly good series out there called Doctor Who :flute:

yay :woohoo: maybe I'll tag you - it starts at 7pm

:biggrin: I'm an avid Liverpool FC so no stopping me :P

Yh maybe it's best if you tag me later on. x :smile:
Original post by MediocreSince01
It's not necessarily about clearing, but do universities receive our raw marks?

If not, is it worth, say you're close to the requirements but you miss one grade, contacting them if you were a mark/two off (and you're not considering a remark)? Or, for example, if you sat three papers and two were the required grade, and one was way below, do you think it'd be worth contacting?

I'm going to tag in @PQ to make sure of it
but I am pretty sure they don't receive a raw mark? Please don't take my word for it until confirmation comes though!
they are more likely to receive what you do - usually a UMS score and then a grade or overall grade?

Absolutely!!!
Phone your uni and tell them the situation, even if they have declined your choice you may be able to convince them! I would in this case recommend that you contact your school to see if you can get it remarked, convince the Uni to hold you a place until your remark comes through if you're really close to the boundary - it may well work out but you won't know until you try :borat:

Always always try to contact them - it's never going to hurt to try :yy:

Hope this helps,
Cheese
:hugs:
I'm going to tag in @PQ to make sure of it
but I am pretty sure they don't receive a raw mark? Please don't take my word for it until confirmation comes though!
they are more likely to receive what you do - usually a UMS score and then a grade or overall grade?

Absolutely!!!
Phone your uni and tell them the situation, even if they have declined your choice you may be able to convince them! I would in this case recommend that you contact your school to see if you can get it remarked, convince the Uni to hold you a place until your remark comes through if you're really close to the boundary - it may well work out but you won't know until you try :borat:

Always always try to contact them - it's never going to hurt to try :yy:

Hope this helps,
Cheese
:hugs:

It's a linear course, so there wouldn't be any UMS. So I'm presuming they'll just get a grade?

I may not consider a remark, if I'm honest, because it'd be in F-Maths - and so it'd be pretty much pointless imo, but I'll consider my options on the day. I'm just hoping, if I were close, or if it were just one paper, they'd consider my application.

Cheers
It's a linear course, so there wouldn't be any UMS. So I'm presuming they'll just get a grade?

I may not consider a remark, if I'm honest, because it'd be in F-Maths - and so it'd be pretty much pointless imo, but I'll consider my options on the day. I'm just hoping, if I were close, or if it were just one paper, they'd consider my application.

Cheers

Most likely :borat: but wait for backup confirmation on that one because it's been a while and my notes are at home :colondollar: ( :work: )

Ah for Further Maths? Why pointless? :erm: Not sure it it'd be pointless if it potentially changed the outcome of the next 3 years :erm:
if your school can get behind a remark then why not? If you're going into your school to get your results you can always talk to a teacher and get their advice on it!

All the best though and I'm sure it will all be fine no matter what happens :hugs:
No problem :smile:
Most likely :borat: but wait for backup confirmation on that one because it's been a while and my notes are at home :colondollar: ( :work: )

Ah for Further Maths? Why pointless? :erm: Not sure it it'd be pointless if it potentially changed the outcome of the next 3 years :erm:
if your school can get behind a remark then why not? If you're going into your school to get your results you can always talk to a teacher and get their advice on it!

All the best though and I'm sure it will all be fine no matter what happens :hugs:
No problem :smile:

Thanks for the help!

We get our results online at 7ish, so if when track updates, and if I've not got in, I'll be ringing my college and asking their advice. Was just thinking maths marking is often pretty accurate, but I suppose it's true about it not being pointless.
Thanks for the help!

We get our results online at 7ish, so if when track updates, and if I've not got in, I'll be ringing my college and asking their advice. Was just thinking maths marking is often pretty accurate, but I suppose it's true about it not being pointless.

No problem :hugs:

Similar to my college :five:
That sounds very sensible :yep:
and true but people make mistakes all the time! Even mathematicians :mmm:

Take care of yourself and if you think of any more questions, no matter how big or small, feel free to plop back into this groovy thread :bhangra:

Where did you find their clearing numbers ?
Your helpful advice

A great thread idea - a possible side-step to add in? Don't panic! Easier said than done and in the moment, it's really deflating. But remember the world isn't falling down. You have so many fantastic options ahead of you.

A long (long) time ago, I went into Clearing and would describe myself as doing alright now! In fact, I'm glad I ended up on the path I did and I genuinely don't think I would be doing what I do now had I have ended up at the University of Kent in the end. A university education at somewhere that isn't your #1 or #2 is by no means a downgrade, a back-up plan, a failure, or anything. It just presents an opportunity you didn't previously consider.

On that day long (long) ago, I spoke to my teachers straightaway. They could see I was upset and were very helpful and calming me down and giving me some focus. I went home, straight on to the clearing site and straight on to the phone. It was nervewracking but I just conducted myself in the most friendly, natural way possible - I think I was surprised when the advisers were super-helpful and put me at ease. I only needed to phone a couple of places and both universities gave me all the info I needed to know, when to contact them again by and made it... easy.

And honestly, by, like, day two of freshers week and you've got the past where are you from/what do you study chat... no one gives a single hoot how you got there or thinks of you any differently. It was actually quite liberating.

Anyway, well done on this thread OP. I wish this existed well in advance when I was on here all those years ago - maybe it did and it wasn't promoted enough. And if that's case, I hope your thread gets some homepage recognition from the powers that be :yy:
Original post by _victoria
Where did you find their clearing numbers ?

When you are released into clearing - it's all over your track.
I believe it's on the homepage in a little red box saying "Clearing number". edit; here is a direct UCAS quote:

If you’re eligible for Clearing, your Clearing number will be on the welcome page and ‘Your choices’ section of Track.

:borat:
[video="youtube;8uxt-FnNy2I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxt-FnNy2I[/video]
:mmm:

Thanks :smile: and thank you for sharing your story :penguinhug:

:five: Yeah it's quite stressful at the time and I had to drink about 19 cups of tea to stay calm :tea:
Clearing is going to be full of opportunity this year too! I heard that not as many people have applied and so there will be lots of choice out there - good news :yep:

:yy: Great to hear your school was supportive! I was well acquainted with clearing from multiple sources and just went for it :mmm: I hate speaking on the phone so hated it at first. But when you get going you realise it's something that has to be done so you try your best and that's all you can do really :dontknow:

Yeah honestly not sure how it would've panned out had I have got into my firm uni but I don't think it would've been as chill :tongue:
I have found it very easy to make friends and get jobs etc. nobody cares! You're still awesome and smart and capable, Clearing doesn't change any of that :grouphugs:

This is only the second year I've run this thread :dontknow: It's on one of the Clearing advice hubs and I just hope I can help people as much as I can because there are lots of myths out there about big scary failure inducing clearing which are not true :noway:

Original post by Champagne Supernova
xxxx
Hi there! I have several questions about the clearing process. I applied for Chemical Engineering and I am an International Baccalaureate (IB) student, so my results were released on 5 July. My scores fell just below the conditions of both my firm and insurance, both asking for a 6/7 in Higher Level Mathematics (I scored 5/7). However, after contacting my firm university I was told that they would notify me of their decision on A-Level results day (15 Aug) since I am a "near miss" applicant. Since then I have looked at the possible clearing courses should my firm university reject me.

I applied for Chemical Engineering but the Clearing course I am interested in is Chemistry. Would it be advisable to prepare a different personal statement?

At what time on results day will I be notified of my firm university's decision? In your experience, was this early or later during the day?

My current score qualifies me for Chemistry in some great universities. In the case that my firm university takes some time to notify me of their decision and I enter clearing the next day (16 Aug), will it harm my chances of getting accepted by any of these unis?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending