The Student Room Group

EPQ help

Hey! I’ve just finished year 12 and am starting my EPQ. We’ve been told to base it around the subject we want to apply for university for, which for me is physics. I wanted to do it on dark matter, but am quickly realising that the maths involved is very complicated and would be very difficult to explain to an audience. Would a title like ‘how can we detect dark matter’ be suitable for this, or is it still too much to get into 5000 words?
Original post by Cassie04
Hey! I’ve just finished year 12 and am starting my EPQ. We’ve been told to base it around the subject we want to apply for university for, which for me is physics. I wanted to do it on dark matter, but am quickly realising that the maths involved is very complicated and would be very difficult to explain to an audience. Would a title like ‘how can we detect dark matter’ be suitable for this, or is it still too much to get into 5000 words?

You can only write to the level you are capable of.

I would ask you do you understand enough about dark matter to explore questions about it and explain your findings?

Anyone can write to 5000 words its just about quality and research.

If you dont feel in control of your subject, then do not do it. You are either going to be reviewed by:
a) Someone who is intelligent but knows nothing of the subject.
b) Someone who knows the subject and wll be able to verify the quality of your writing.

Before deciding on a title you need to read several articles till you understand the area and make several notes about possible angles of investigation. Dont get constrained and strangled by an essay title that doesnt work.

Try and make the title something that has at least two sides and involves analysis and evaluation.
Avoid titles that are just explaining as if I want a how to manual then I can buy a book .
They want your original though and to see how you handle the information , issues and reach your own conclusion.
Reply 2
Thank you! That’s really useful advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending