The Student Room Group

Loughborough University Leniancy With GCSE Results?

Hey, I am hoping to apply for Loughborough University as my firm choice. I will apply this September, however, I am not 100% sure that I will be accepted onto the course that I want and this is causing me tons of stress not knowing.

So, the course that I am applying for is Computer Science With a Foundation Year. The typical entry requirements for this course are a BTEC DDD-DDM (pretty much the equivalent of an AAA-AAB). You also need a grade 6 in GCSE Maths. I chose the foundation year version of this course because I have not studied the A-Level Mathematics which is required for normal Computer Science Courses. My reason for this is because I did a BTEC instead of A-Levels. For BTEC students, Loughborough also prefers that you have studied ICT.

The course that I am currently studying is Level 3 ICT and I am almost certain that my predicted grades will be D*D*D* (Basically an A*A*A*) because I got distinctions in all 9 units last year. I also have 10+ GCSEs at grades 4-7 (that includes the value of a level 2 BTEC in ICT). They include English Language and Mathematics. Additionally, I already have a super-strong personal statement prepared for my application.

The only problem is, Loughborough's typical requirements say that I should have a grade 6 in GCSE Maths when I only have a grade 5. My question is do you think I will be accepted into the Computer Science with a foundation year course even with my grade below in Maths? Is Loughborough lenient enough to accept me?

I think that my predicted grades and my personal statement should easily make up for my Maths grade, but still. The chance that I might not get in is seriously interfering with my everyday peace of mind because this is the university that I have had my heart set on for years now. Truly, I don't want to go to university. I just want to go to Loughborough. Don't ask why. my reasons suck lol.

Thank you for reading and answering my questions, this is really troubling me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Depends on the universities admission policy. Some universities are very grade focused and don't really look at the personal statement much. I think you'd be best of contacting the admissions department and asking if there was any chance of being accepted with a 5 in maths.
Original post by King Emojai
Hey, I am hoping to apply for Loughborough University as my firm choice. I will apply this September, however, I am not 100% sure that I will be accepted onto the course that I want and this is causing me tons of stress not knowing.

So, the course that I am applying for is Computer Science With a Foundation Year. The typical entry requirements for this course are a BTEC DDD-DDM (pretty much the equivalent of an AAA-AAB). You also need a grade 6 in GCSE Maths. I chose the foundation year version of this course because I have not studied the A-Level Mathematics which is required for normal Computer Science Courses. My reason for this is because I did a BTEC instead of A-Levels. For BTEC students, Loughborough also prefers that you have studied ICT.

The course that I am currently studying is ICT and I am almost certain that my predicted grades will be D*D*D* (Basically an A*A*A*) because I got distinctions in all 9 units last year. I also have 10+ GCSEs at grades 4-7 (that includes the value of a level 2 BTEC in ICT). They include English Language and Mathematics. Additionally, I already have a super-strong personal statement prepared for my application.

The only problem is, Loughborough's typical requirements say that I should have a grade 6 in GCSE Maths when I only have a grade 5. My question is do you think I will be accepted into the Computer Science with a foundation year course even with my grade below in Maths? Is Loughborough lenient enough to accept me?

I think that my predicted grades and my personal statement should easily make up for my Maths grade, but still. The chance that I might not get in is seriously interfering with my everyday peace of mind because this is the university that I have had my heart set on for years now. Truly, I don't want to go to university. I just want to go to Loughborough. Don't ask why. my reasons suck lol.

Thank you for reading and answering my questions, this is really troubling me.

Given I study at Loughborough University and it took me a second attempt at A Levels to get in, I would say that if you aren't hitting the minimum GCSE requirements then you'll more than likely be rejected. Not sure how they review grades now due to the change in the grading system to numbers. To be sure, I would send an email to admissions asking them for their opinion as they can give you the best answer. It also depends on the standard of other applicants. I am a bit worried about your motive for coming to the University given that you don't want to go to University and you don't want to disclose your reasons for going?
Reply 3
Original post by SubZero~
Given I study at Loughborough University and it took me a second attempt at A Levels to get in, I would say that if you aren't hitting the minimum GCSE requirements then you'll more than likely be rejected. Not sure how they review grades now due to the change in the grading system to numbers. To be sure, I would send an email to admissions asking them for their opinion as they can give you the best answer. It also depends on the standard of other applicants. I am a bit worried about your motive for coming to the University given that you don't want to go to University and you don't want to disclose your reasons for going?

I mostly just love the look of the university and really want to live the university life while doing the course I love. Yeah, I could just pick another university and have a similar experience, but from what I've seen, Loughborough is unique and the only university that I really 'LIKE' the look of so it's the university I have set my mind on, and, call me stubborn, but I really have no interest for something that I haven't already, naturally put my mind.
I mostly just love the look of the university and really want to live the university life while doing the course I love. Yeah, I could just pick another university and have a similar experience, but from what I've seen, Loughborough is unique and the only university that I really 'LIKE' the look of so it's the university I have set my mind on, and, call me stubborn, but I really have no interest for something that I haven't already, naturally put my mind.

Right, so then why say you don't want to go to University? You mentioned that you'll have the opportunity to study the course you love and live the University life? :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by SubZero~
Right, so then why say you don't want to go to University? You mentioned that you'll have the opportunity to study the course you love and live the University life?

Haha, like I said. I'm not interested in anything I haven't put my mind too. If I go to a different university, I fear that my motivation will just disappear and I won't be able to pass the course. I do enjoy learning about my course but currently, I'm studying ICT and I feel my motivation has just gone. I'm struggling quite hard to maintain straight distinctions in my course because my only motivation isn't studying ICT at the moment. My motivation is getting the grades to go specifically to Loughborough. And by university life, I mostly meant the Loughborough university life because they are all different. I really wanna get involved with all kinds of sports and stuff while I'm studying and I want to enjoy it as much as possible which I believe Loughborough can help me with. :smile:
Haha, like I said. I'm not interested in anything I haven't put my mind too. If I go to a different university, I fear that my motivation will just disappear and I won't be able to pass the course. I do enjoy learning about my course but currently, I'm studying ICT and I feel my motivation has just gone. I'm struggling quite hard to maintain straight distinctions in my course because my only motivation isn't studying ICT at the moment. My motivation is getting the grades to go specifically to Loughborough. And by university life, I mostly meant the Loughborough university life because they are all different. I really wanna get involved with all kinds of sports and stuff while I'm studying and I want to enjoy it as much as possible which I believe Loughborough can help me with. :smile:

There you go - so that's your motivation which is good.

Unfortunately, it might not be fun but you really do have to put in the work. If you can maintain straight distinctions you'll look back and think that you're glad that you managed to. Strong work ethic will only benefit you of course. Loughborough is all about working hard, playing harder given its sporting reputation. Trust me, when I made my decision to resit having not got the grades to get in the first time, I knew it was a massive gamble and the odds were stack against me. But, I made that decision because I knew I belonged at Loughborough and I've never regretted putting in the work.
Hi King Emojai

We're delighted to hear that you're interested in studying with us at Loughborough University. If you haven't already, please feel free to contact our admissions office at [email protected] if you have any further enquiries about entry requirements for Computer Science. We are more than willing to help!

All the best
Tendo :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending