The Student Room Group

Anyone else having to take a gap year and re-sit?

Well, I didn't get the grades I wanted so have decided to re-sit all 3 A-Levels next summer.

Anyone else in the same situation? If there's enough we could hopefully make a group chat or something similar.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah Im going to decline my offer and retake. Im only gonna take 2 though, the other A Level I got a C in and I don't wanna jinx it. I Honestly don't trust Edexcel though that Maths Paper was NOTHING like the mocks, it was like doing Maths on Handicapped mode, plus I honestly think people who saw the leaked papers got an advantage, someone in my class before the exams were telling me about how they saw the leak and revised it and they came out with a B. Edexcel can suck their nan via a straw.

God forbid the college I retake at has them as their exam board for maths. Fml
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I'm having to resit aswell, got accepted into my insurance but I don't want to spend the next 3 years at a bad uni so this was the only logical option. This year is going to be a gruelling one but definitely worth it if I make it into Imperial or somewhere like that.
yep, retaking maths 🙃
Original post by Popsiclez
Yeah Im going to decline my offer and retake. Im only gonna take 2 though, the other A Level I got a C in and I don't wanna jinx it. I Honestly don't trust Edexcel though that Maths Paper was NOTHING like the mocks, it was like doing Maths on Handicapped mode, plus I honestly think people who saw the leaked papers got an advantage, someone in my class before the exams were telling me about how they saw the leak and revised it and they came out with a B. Edexcel can suck their nan via a straw.

God forbid the college I retake at has them as their exam board for maths. Fml

Oh r u not worried about the whole process of applying and writing a PS etccc againnnn? Omg trust me I seriously felt disabled doing them maths papers I wonder whoever made if their brain is ok. Yes some people in my school also performed better on that last paper despiteee being super terrible at statistics and mechanics usually. Hahahahahah looool.

How did u find another college or u retaking it at your same college ? I want to do the same as u but I was thinking privately since my college doesn’t do retakes
Original post by 12tahsinla
Oh r u not worried about the whole process of applying and writing a PS etccc againnnn? Omg trust me I seriously felt disabled doing them maths papers I wonder whoever made if their brain is ok. Yes some people in my school also performed better on that last paper despiteee being super terrible at statistics and mechanics usually. Hahahahahah looool.

How did u find another college or u retaking it at your same college ? I want to do the same as u but I was thinking privately since my college doesn’t do retakes

I'm actually unsure how to go about retaking I dont want to go back to sixth form as I feel I dont do as well. If you find out how to retake at a college please tell me.

My PS I'll just edit a bit to mention my retakes since it was good the first time round. I just used Grammarly and a template our school gave us and had someone else edit it to make it better.

I feel like if I just go to uni right now I wont be happy. As I wasnt really hell set on this uni I just chose it because it was available and to follow the crowd.
I'm also resitting all 3
im also resitting all 3 alevels. And i dont know how to go about it. But im going into my school during the gcse results day to talk to my teacher and getting advice and help, as my teacher did was in charge of the ucas things at my school. so ill remember to update you guys here.
But yeah im so confused about the whole process, also is there a deadline to reject student finance and decline uni offer?
I’m going to be resitting 2 of my a levels. I don’t want to retake chemistry since I’m okay with a b. I’m going to hopefully do my a levels at an exam centre as a private candidate. I know that you have to pay for everything yourself I’d say around £300 or lower which isn’t that bad i think. I really don’t want to go back to my sixth form because it’s just awkward to see the teachers again. But I also think the environment there really effected the grades I got so I think I’d be better off getting a tutor or teaching myself. Can you not reuse your old personal statement or does it count as plagiarism? And what is everyone applying for uni? I’m just curious 😅
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by totallynotstress
I’m going to be resitting 2 of my a levels. I don’t want to retake chemistry since I’m okay with a b. I’m going to hopefully do my a levels at an exam centre as a private candidate. I know that you have to pay for everything yourself I’d say around £300 or lower which isn’t that bad i think. I really don’t want to go back to my sixth form because it’s just awkward to see the teachers again. But I also think the environment there really effected the grades I got so I think I’d be better off getting a tutor or teaching myself. Can you not reuse your old personal statement or does it count as plagiarism? And what is everyone applying for uni? I’m just curious 😅

LMAO that's exactly why I'm not going back to my 6th form either after I did so bad and how much faith they placed in me. I'm going to a college or ill just study online/learn myself. I hated the environment too. Sixth Form was so confining and strict plus you go through a lot of social and emotional problems.

I'm not retaking Computer Science since I got a C in it, and I'll have to redo the coursework which lead to my downfall but I'm retaking the other 2

Honestly we sound like mirror twins. I'm starting to think your my alt account that's taken on a life of it's own. Let me know if you figure out how the process works.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Popsiclez
LMAO that's exactly why I'm not going back to my 6th form either after I did so bad and how much faith they placed in me. I'm going to a college or ill just study online/learn myself. I hated the environment too. Sixth Form was so confining and strict plus you go through a lot of social and emotional problems.

I'm not retaking Computer Science since I got a C in it, and I'll have to redo the coursework which lead to my downfall but I'm retaking the other 2

Honestly we sound like mirror twins. I'm starting to think your my alt account that's taken on a life of it's own. Let me know if you figure out how the process works.

It’s nice to know that I’m not alone 😅I just keep on telling myself that this year I’ll work my hardest. We’ll just have to see at the end of the year what happens 🤷🏽*♀️Good luck
Original post by totallynotstress

I'm planning on retaking all three A levels but feel too awkward to go back to my sixth for to even ask for a reference or a good predicted grade after how badly I've done. Is there any other way to get a reference without going back to your sixth form, I was thinking about tutoring centres but I don't know any that does your refence and predicted grades as well 😔
I’m also going to be retaking all three but I’m planning on taking two years out as my grades were so bad this year. If I applied with my alevel grades as predicted I don’t think I would get any offers at all. So I’m planning on retaking this year and then applying in October following results which will hopefully give me enough time to get work experience.
Original post by Ace-this-test
Yeah I'm having to resit aswell, got accepted into my insurance but I don't want to spend the next 3 years at a bad uni so this was the only logical option. This year is going to be a gruelling one but definitely worth it if I make it into Imperial or somewhere like that.

How are you getting your predicted grades? My school is refusing to give me my predicted grades as I'm an "ex-student" now
i got B in sociology D in english lit and a U in law- rejected from both unis, my depression was so severe round my exams all i needed was some more time tbh so knew i would have to retake or something

so yea deffo resitting english and law! doing it at my 6th form because its most convenient tbh, not sure if im completely redoing yr 13 or just going for the exams in summer tomorrow im going to school on gcse results day to speak to my teachers to see :/

but dont worry we in this together! im so up for a gc or something- really thought i was on my own
Original post by thatbeech
i got B in sociology D in english lit and a U in law- rejected from both unis, my depression was so severe round my exams all i needed was some more time tbh so knew i would have to retake or something

so yea deffo resitting english and law! doing it at my 6th form because its most convenient tbh, not sure if im completely redoing yr 13 or just going for the exams in summer tomorrow im going to school on gcse results day to speak to my teachers to see :/

but dont worry we in this together! im so up for a gc or something- really thought i was on my own

ikr me too! It's comforting to know theres other people in my position and i think we should defo make a group chat.
im resitting psych chem and bio.
Original post by babushkac4
ikr me too! It's comforting to know theres other people in my position and i think we should defo make a group chat.
im resitting psych chem and bio.

makes the whole thing feel so much better tbh :smile:

well it’s okay because hopefully we will do sooo much better! and who knows what goodness will come next year? i’m planning on working, saving money and passing my driving before uni! get some more exp and just improve my mental health.

i’ll just be resitting the 2 a levels, which is okay- not as demanding. i have FULL FAITH in you! you will SMASH IT!!!

however, i think i might be resitting year 13 so i can get the teaching too but that’ll be confirmed tuesday hopefully
I contacted my college because I got DDE and they aren’t allowing me to resit I feel so stuck and annoyed, they said their policy wouldn’t allow them to take resits
Original post by Ishaxoxox
I contacted my college because I got DDE and they aren’t allowing me to resit I feel so stuck and annoyed, they said their policy wouldn’t allow them to take resits

oh no :frown:
is there no other colleges in your area?
you could enter as a private candidate do the exams, whilst having a tutor or using online revision resources?
Hope it works out for you
I'm planning on retaking, too. My mental health was terrible in the lead up to and during exam season, one of my teachers told me she didn't think I was even going to sit my exams :s-smilie:. Needless to say, my results weren't what I was hoping for, so I'm going to retake Biology and Psychology, and maybe look at re-applying to uni next year.

I think a group chat is a great idea, that way we will be reminded that we're not alone in this :smile: If anyone does end up making one, please let me know, I would love to be in it! x

Quick Reply

Latest