The Student Room Group

Anyone else having to take a gap year and re-sit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alayna1234
They do accept resits as long as it’s not for law, medicine or dentistry

This is from their website. I don’t know who’s spreading misinformation that KCL don’t accept resits, they do for most of their courses, just not the really over subscribed ones

That’s good to hear since I’m not interested in those 3 courses? Are you resitting or have you resat and also what are you looking to study?
Original post by Govand123
That’s good to hear since I’m not interested in those 3 courses? Are you resitting or have you resat and also what are you looking to study?

No I’m resitting this year to to move my recent grades from BCD to AAB and I want to apply to do a bioscience at kings (one of my triple dream universities) to then progress onto grad med.

My a levels went awry this year because of extenuating circumstances that I will be showing to the unis I apply to.
No I’m resitting this year to to move my recent grades from BCD to AAB and I want to apply to do a bioscience at kings (one of my triple dream universities) to then progress onto grad med.

My a levels went awry this year because of extenuating circumstances that I will be showing to the unis I apply to.

Having just resat my A-Levels and emailed around, there's a frequent misconception with "X uni accepts resits".

While it is true that they accept them, it doesn't mean you're not disadvantaged. Cambridge technically accept them, but what seems more impressive to you, someone who achieves A*AA in one sitting or someone who takes two?

Extenuating circumstances will help your case for sure but people need to know that a university accepting them doesn't mean you won't be looked upon slightly less favourably.
Original post by mat325h
Well, I didn't get the grades I wanted so have decided to re-sit all 3 A-Levels next summer.

Anyone else in the same situation? If there's enough we could hopefully make a group chat or something similar.

ME TOO! I got CBC and I am so disappointed. I was predicted A*BB. English, Biology Chemistry respectively for both sets of grades respectively. No idea where I messed up. Worked my hardest for English and got a C instead of an A*/A. So pissed at AQA. I know I shouldnt be but... I am getting a remark for chemistry but I have no hope. I really want to do dentistry, so I am going to resit. If I still don't get the grades, then I will do a biochemistry degree which I have zero interest in and then go for post graduate entry. Ugh. My life is so messed up.
Original post by Z A R A
ME TOO! I got CBC and I am so disappointed. I was predicted A*BB. English, Biology Chemistry respectively for both sets of grades respectively. No idea where I messed up. Worked my hardest for English and got a C instead of an A*/A. So pissed at AQA. I know I shouldnt be but... I am getting a remark for chemistry but I have no hope. I really want to do dentistry, so I am going to resit. If I still don't get the grades, then I will do a biochemistry degree which I have zero interest in and then go for post graduate entry. Ugh. My life is so messed up.

Unfortunately, the chances of getting into a good uni for dentistry with resits is very slim; it's such a competitive course that along with medicine and law, they're typically looked upon unfavourably, especially with the C in Chemistry.

And I hate to be harsh, but it seems you worked hard this time round and only managed to get BCC, so what would be different this time round for you to get the grades you need? I've done resits and from experience it's particularly challenging.
Original post by mat325h
Well, I didn't get the grades I wanted so have decided to re-sit all 3 A-Levels next summer.

Anyone else in the same situation? If there's enough we could hopefully make a group chat or something similar.

What’s your snapchat I’ll make a groupchat
Original post by Arisapo
Having just resat my A-Levels and emailed around, there's a frequent misconception with "X uni accepts resits".

While it is true that they accept them, it doesn't mean you're not disadvantaged. Cambridge technically accept them, but what seems more impressive to you, someone who achieves A*AA in one sitting or someone who takes two?

Extenuating circumstances will help your case for sure but people need to know that a university accepting them doesn't mean you won't be looked upon slightly less favourably.

How did your resits go?

Could you send a copy of what they said in their emails?
How did your resits go?

Could you send a copy of what they said in their emails?

I went from BBD to A*AB so from my perspective it was worth it, but it’s far from easy and I won’t sugarcoat that.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6080820

Above is a thread of what each uni said. Bear in mind this was for law, but considering the competitiveness, dentistry would fall under the same category.

As you can see with KCL, they simply said they don’t accept them. Anywhere else you’d consider?
Original post by Arisapo
I went from BBD to A*AB so from my perspective it was worth it, but it’s far from easy and I won’t sugarcoat that.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6080820

Above is a thread of what each uni said. Bear in mind this was for law, but considering the competitiveness, dentistry would fall under the same category.

As you can see with KCL, they simply said they don’t accept them. Anywhere else you’d consider?

Yeah but I’m not planning to do law, KCL doesn’t accept resits for law, medicine or dentistry.

I’m not aiming to do any of these at this point.

I’m aiming to get into a bioscience eg pharmacology, neuroscience, biochemistry.

I’m aware that resits can hold me back but I have extenuating circumstances.

I’m also considering Queen Mary.

My problem is, I’m currently deferring for Royal Holloway but I will reject them when I do my ucas application and decide to submit.

Even if I get rejected with my current grades, I have hope that on results day I can just apply through clearing. My stars will hopefully be AAB/A*AB from my resits.

I’m just thinking if I should just not apply normally and instead apply during clearing cos I know Queen Mary and Kings go through clearing for biosciences every year and they lower their entry so I would defo get in.

Not sure, but yh
Yeah but I’m not planning to do law, KCL doesn’t accept resits for law, medicine or dentistry.

I’m not aiming to do any of these at this point.

I’m aiming to get into a bioscience eg pharmacology, neuroscience, biochemistry.

I’m aware that resits can hold me back but I have extenuating circumstances.

I’m also considering Queen Mary.

My problem is, I’m currently deferring for Royal Holloway but I will reject them when I do my ucas application and decide to submit.

Even if I get rejected with my current grades, I have hope that on results day I can just apply through clearing. My stars will hopefully be AAB/A*AB from my resits.

I’m just thinking if I should just not apply normally and instead apply during clearing cos I know Queen Mary and Kings go through clearing for biosciences every year and they lower their entry so I would defo get in.

Not sure, but yh

I understand that but my point is from experience you’ll still be disadvantaged with resits, even if they’re “accepted”.

You said you really wanted to do dentistry so I was only going off what you were saying.

So you have predicted grades? I would apply normally anyway as there’s no harm in it and at least you have some options if you don’t get the results you want.
Original post by Arisapo
I understand that but my point is from experience you’ll still be disadvantaged with resits, even if they’re “accepted”.

You said you really wanted to do dentistry so I was only going off what you were saying.

So you have predicted grades? I would apply normally anyway as there’s no harm in it and at least you have some options if you don’t get the results you want.

Yh, I’m aware, resits aren’t looked on favourably but I think my extenuating circumstances might help.

I haven’t sorted out my predicted yet no, I’m still thinking if I should just apply during clearing or do a normal application.

😂😂 sorry I don’t want to do dentistry, I want to do graduate med in the future after my undergrads

Yh, I think I’ll just have to sort out my reference and predicted since I’m sitting privately and not at a school cos I can’t afford it
Original post by Arisapo

Look what I found on what do they know, kings replied this:

(So basically as long as ur applying for a course that is fine with resits ur good)

CA2CA1B3-6920-429E-AA81-D28D9F00A6B7.jpg.jpeg
Look what I found on what do they know, kings replied this:

(So basically as long as ur applying for a course that is fine with resits ur good)

CA2CA1B3-6920-429E-AA81-D28D9F00A6B7.jpg.jpeg

They say that, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be disadvantaged, just that you’ll be considered still.

Cambridge technically says they accept resits but do you think they wouldn’t be looked favourably on?
Original post by Arisapo
They say that, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be disadvantaged, just that you’ll be considered still.

Cambridge technically says they accept resits but do you think they wouldn’t be looked favourably on?

We’re aware but do it anyway

Sorry, so you work at kings admission or something?
(edited 4 years ago)
We’re aware but do it anyway

Sorry, so you work at kings admission or something?

I don’t understand why you’re taking that attitude with me?

I’ve just done resits myself and am trying to help you as I know it’s a very difficult process comments like “do you work at Kings admission” are unnecessary.

My point is, do you think they just forget you got BCD first time round and don’t take it into consideration? It’s more impressive to do it first time round and resits will disadvantage you.

I’m not at all saying you won’t get an offer as it’s still possible and I can vouch for that but with your awful grades first time round, they actually need to think you can get the entry requirements and not just give a place to every resit candidate because “they’re showing determination”.
Original post by Arisapo
I don’t understand why you’re taking that attitude with me?

I’ve just done resits myself and am trying to help you as I know it’s a very difficult process comments like “do you work at Kings admission” are unnecessary.

My point is, do you think they just forget you got BCD first time round and don’t take it into consideration? It’s more impressive to do it first time round and resits will disadvantage you.

I’m not at all saying you won’t get an offer as it’s still possible and I can vouch for that but with your awful grades first time round, they actually need to think you can get the entry requirements and not just give a place to every resit candidate because “they’re showing determination”.

I don't think they meant it like that! :frown:

I think it's only because you're slightly repeating yourself and being slightly patronising, I think people do realise that they are disadvantaged already.

Even more so as a previous resit candidate you have no right to call someone's grades 'awful' you don't know what they've been through, please take a bit of a considerate approach especially as this is all still quite fresh for some people.
Original post by sweetietweetie

I think it's only because you're slightly repeating yourself and being slightly patronising, I think people do realise that they are disadvantaged already.

Even more so as a previous resit candidate you have no right to call someone's grades 'awful' you don't know what they've been through, please take a bit of a considerate approach especially as this is all still quite fresh for some people.

Completely agree with this. I’m retaking myself this year and already been feeling really low we know we are at a disadvantage but no need to keep saying it tbh. We all need to encourage each other and tbh so many people retake tbh. Think everyone who retakes is really brave .. let’s build each other up and encourage each other
Original post by sweetietweetie

I think they did mean it like that they know full well I don’t work at Kings’ admissions and just said that to be smarmy.

I’m repeating myself because having just done them myself and emailed a lot, I’m in one of the best positions to say their stances and it’s coming from experience. People seem to think that with resits, their original grades are almost disregarded and that’s not the case; they will still be looked at and in most cases, you will be disadvantaged. It’s not like Kings will just view you the same as someone sitting them the first time.

I know how tough it can be and I said their grades were awful as for what they want to do, they are. My grades were awful last year and they know they will be as well. If they didn’t think they were awful, they wouldn’t resit.
Original post by bellanh
Completely agree with this. I’m retaking myself this year and already been feeling really low we know we are at a disadvantage but no need to keep saying it tbh. We all need to encourage each other and tbh so many people retake tbh. Think everyone who retakes is really brave .. let’s build each other up and encourage each other

I’ve just retaken myself and I completely get your point it’s very difficult and can be demoralising at times.

I just think some people believe they can get into the top unis with resits and it’s all straightforward and just think it’s key people are realistic. There would be nothing worse than having your dream uni which you got an offer from last year but not getting one this year, so people just need to be cautious.

I hope everyone gets where they want and it worked for me, but it’s always good to be safe.
Original post by Arisapo
I think they did mean it like that they know full well I don’t work at Kings’ admissions and just said that to be smarmy.

I’m repeating myself because having just done them myself and emailed a lot, I’m in one of the best positions to say their stances and it’s coming from experience. People seem to think that with resits, their original grades are almost disregarded and that’s not the case; they will still be looked at and in most cases, you will be disadvantaged. It’s not like Kings will just view you the same as someone sitting them the first time.

I know how tough it can be and I said their grades were awful as for what they want to do, they are. My grades were awful last year and they know they will be as well. If they didn’t think they were awful, they wouldn’t resit.

I appreciate what you're saying but you're only in best position for your course, your eventuating circumstances (if you had any) and for the unis that you applied to. Every resit has to be taken under a case by case basis so can't assume everyone falls under the same umbrella!

Please don't assume that transfers for everyone else's situation.

Stop assuming stuff! I think everyone knows there grades will not be disregarded - you have declare them anyways, people aren't stupid.

I can see that you're trying to help but it's coming across the complete opposite way, you cannot call someone's grades awful. I know people that are resitting with all A's achieved, does that means their grades are awful?

Quick Reply

Latest