The Student Room Group

How will AAB Distinction affect A*AA offer

I am looking to apply to Compsci at Durham which needs A*AA but its very competitive

GCSE:
five grade 9s
two grade 8s
one grade 7
one A*

AS:
Maths - A
Physics - A
Further Maths - B
Computing - Distinction

Will the B affect my chances on my UCAS application or are my gcse grades good enough to get an offer?
Original post by CodeL
I am looking to apply to Compsci at Durham which needs A*AA but its very competitive

GCSE:
five grade 9s
two grade 8s
one grade 7
one A*

AS:
Maths - A
Physics - A
Further Maths - B
Computing - Distinction

Will the B affect my chances on my UCAS application or are my gcse grades good enough to get an offer?

As you say, it's a competitive course. Your grades are strong, and I don't think the B will significantly harm your chances, but no-one can give you any guarantees, unfortunately.

You get 5 choices on UCAS, so it's fine to include 1 or 2 that you think are maybe a bit of a stretch or are a bit risky.
AS is not everything, there’s also the personal statement as well. I’m not sure about AS, but our school goes off predicted grades instead of doing an official AS. So if it’s possible, ask your teachers to increase your predicted grades and write glowing recommendations on your ucas. You can also call the university and ask for their opinion
Reply 3
Original post by FriedFish
AS is not everything, there’s also the personal statement as well. I’m not sure about AS, but our school goes off predicted grades instead of doing an official AS. So if it’s possible, ask your teachers to increase your predicted grades and write glowing recommendations on your ucas. You can also call the university and ask for their opinion

My predicted grades won't be the same as the AS grades (AS doesn't even have an A* grade), but I'm just wondering if not having the full 3 As on the UCAS application will have a meaningful affect.
Original post by FriedFish

Original post by CodeL
My predicted grades won't be the same as the AS grades (AS doesn't even have an A* grade), but I'm just wondering if not having the full 3 As on the UCAS application will have a meaningful affect.

In general, actual achieved grades are seen as a more reliable prediction of how you'll do at A2, compared to predicted grades (obviously A* predictions are a bit different).

The B will have an effect, but it won't be the end of the world, and having 2 As at AS and strong GCSEs will work in your favour.
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
In general, actual achieved grades are seen as a more reliable prediction of how you'll do at A2, compared to predicted grades (obviously A* predictions are a bit different).

The B will have an effect, but it won't be the end of the world, and having 2 As at AS and strong GCSEs will work in your favour.

Do you have to put AS on your UCAS application even though it no longer forms part of your final grade?
Original post by CodeL
Do you have to put AS on your UCAS application even though it no longer forms part of your final grade?

Unfortunately you do. You have to list all achieved qualifications on UCAS, and AS levels are now separate qualifications, so have to go on the form.

Try not to stress about this too much. There are no guarantees, but there also aren't many people out there with a perfect application, either!

Quick Reply

Latest