The Student Room Group

Failed 1st year university

Deleting this post people are horrible on here
(edited 4 years ago)
Well something to consider is, are you prepared for second year? Even with extenuating circumstances etc, if you don't have the knowledge base to support you in second year studies, it will probably lead to you just doing poorly in second year anyway. Although there may be other ways around this, do consider whether continuing straight into second year with the retakes ahead of you still is going to be conducive to you doing as well as you can in the second year modules/papers.

Them having you take a year out is probably because the exams are only set for the end of term period(s), and the summer resit period. They can't really do much else other than have you take the exams the next time they are available. You could ask if you could just resit the year entirely, which would allow you to attend and then take the exams (and provided your extenuating circumstances are accepted, you could still retake in the summer if need be).

In terms of the accommodation, you may be able to find someone to take over your contract (whether they would pay you the non-refundable deposit amount is debatable though). You could also discuss with your university the financial situation that puts you in, and whether there is anything they can do to support you as a result of that (since you can point out the reason you're going to be out of pocket for that is because of how they are scheduling your return to uni). Universities do have limited adversity funds to help students in need, and since this would be their fault, arguably, you may well at least be able to press them into doing something to help with that (even if it's just putting you in contact with students who can take over your contract).

@claireestelle might be able to suggest some other options you could consider?
Original post by artful_lounger
Well something to consider is, are you prepared for second year? Even with extenuating circumstances etc, if you don't have the knowledge base to support you in second year studies, it will probably lead to you just doing poorly in second year anyway. Although there may be other ways around this, do consider whether continuing straight into second year with the retakes ahead of you still is going to be conducive to you doing as well as you can in the second year modules/papers.

Them having you take a year out is probably because the exams are only set for the end of term period(s), and the summer resit period. They can't really do much else other than have you take the exams the next time they are available. You could ask if you could just resit the year entirely, which would allow you to attend and then take the exams (and provided your extenuating circumstances are accepted, you could still retake in the summer if need be).

In terms of the accommodation, you may be able to find someone to take over your contract (whether they would pay you the non-refundable deposit amount is debatable though). You could also discuss with your university the financial situation that puts you in, and whether there is anything they can do to support you as a result of that (since you can point out the reason you're going to be out of pocket for that is because of how they are scheduling your return to uni). Universities do have limited adversity funds to help students in need, and since this would be their fault, arguably, you may well at least be able to press them into doing something to help with that (even if it's just putting you in contact with students who can take over your contract).

@claireestelle might be able to suggest some other options you could consider?

You’re right. However I have considered this it’s all I’ve thought about but I actually do enjoy university a lot! It’s just my disability and other illnesses that lesser me to do well, if I they don’t let me on to 2nd year I’ll take your advice and will just ask to resit the year as it is not going to be easy to find someone to take over my contract for my accommodation in time. Do you think I could appeal it though? I don’t want to be at university for 4 years :frown: this really upsets me I don’t think I should have to go though this when things happened beyond my control!
Original post by Kiarahenryxo
You’re right. However I have considered this it’s all I’ve thought about but I actually do enjoy university a lot! It’s just my disability and other illnesses that lesser me to do well, if I they don’t let me on to 2nd year I’ll take your advice and will just ask to resit the year as it is not going to be easy to find someone to take over my contract for my accommodation in time. Do you think I could appeal it though? I don’t want to be at university for 4 years :frown: this really upsets me I don’t think I should have to go though this when things happened beyond my control!

I'm not really sure there's any way to appeal, they are offering you the opportunity to resit it, and provided they accept your extenuating circumstances once you get the new GP letter, then it shouldn't count towards your "limit". They still can't really let you into second year if they know/strongly feel you will fail without doing well in these exams beforehand from an academic (and possibly moral) perspective, and they are making reasonable adjustments to allow you to resit as necessary the next time it's available, from a legal perspective.

If you did very well in your other modules and just did poorly in this one exam, you might be able to use that as grounds for them to let you continue but "lag" that module/retake while doing second year otherwise. My university let me do this when I had to retake a module under similar circumstances, because up until then I'd done quite well and they were confident in my academic ability (at the time, anyway). However that would very much be assessed on your individual circumstances and some universities/departments may be more or less amenable to that. You could however suggest it as an alternative possibility?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending