The Student Room Group

summer schools that will aid an Oxford application

hi, I'm just about to go into year 12 starting a levels in maths biology and chemistry in the hopes of doing medicine at Oxford.
I am interested in doing either a summer school or course that would help aid my application, however I attend private school which means that I cannot apply to UNIQ which I believe is considered the best to aid application.

any other suggestions? Are the other Oxford courses linked to the university?
Summer schools don’t aid in application. If they did, that would mean the rich get a great education at the top unis and the less wealthy remain unable to successfully apply to these unis.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Summer schools don’t aid in application. If they did, that would mean the rich get a great education at the top unis and the less wealthy remain unable to successfully apply to these unis.

but I've heard that UNIQ certainly helps your chances of getting in. UNIQ is free and solely for those from state/grammar schools. therefore I was wandering if there is an equivalent for those who do go to private school
UNIQ isn't a prep course for Oxbridge, it's a widening access scheme to raise aspirations among those groups that are underrepresented at Oxford (and in university generally) to encourage them to actually recognise it is in fact an option for them and encourage them to apply at all. You seem to fundamentally misunderstand what it is and why it exists - if you did then you would understand your question doesn't make sense, and as a student at a private school you already will most likely have better preparation to apply to Oxbridge than students who are selected for UNIQ (or even just among those that are eligible).

You can throw money at any number of "Oxbridge application consultants" but it would just be entirely a waste, as they don't provide you with any information or materials that aren't available for free online. I would suggest you focus on doing your own research to understand what is required, and to also understand what commonly touted bits of information about Oxbridge admissions are in fact myths.
but I've heard that UNIQ certainly helps your chances of getting in. UNIQ is free and solely for those from state/grammar schools. therefore I was wandering if there is an equivalent for those who do go to private school

the reason UNIQ increases those who go on it's chances is that it provides insight to Oxford and the admissions process to those who may not know much about it and whose school may not be equipped to help them, so they know what to do to make a good application. it's not that Oxford sees that they went and so are more likely to accept them, that's not how it works. summer schools aren't going to help you make a better application, focus on your a level grades and doing additional reading around your subject
hi, I'm just about to go into year 12 starting a levels in maths biology and chemistry in the hopes of doing medicine at Oxford.
I am interested in doing either a summer school or course that would help aid my application, however I attend private school which means that I cannot apply to UNIQ which I believe is considered the best to aid application.

Yeah that's not really what UNIQ is for. Its about educating and encouraging people to apply in the first place.

There certainly are plenty of (universally very expensive) courses that claim to help with Oxbridge prep. But they aren't needed. A private school will likely provide more preparation than most will get anyway. Doing well in A-levels, and being well read and interested about your subject will definitely help. That's about it really.
Reply 6

Your best plan for next summer would be to do some (probably more) work experience, prepare for your UCAT and BMAT, do some further reading on areas that interest you, work on your Alevels and if you can, have a bit of a rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending