The Student Room Group

Biomedical science at Westminster university?

Is anyone doing biomedical science at westminster university. My plan is to complete biomed and do graduate medicine. I've heard Westminster isn't a great uni but it was really my only choice because I didn't wanna retake my A levels. But surely if I work hard and get a 2:1 I could do graduate medicine.
You should probably aim for a 1st if you can - GEM is more competitive than standard entry medicine, so you'll need every advantage you can get.

That said, the "sandwich" course variant may allow you to get a placement to complete the portfolio required for HCPC registration, although these can be hard to get into I hear. IBMS accreditation and HCPC registration are the two criteria required to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS. So that could be a good alternative option as well, and/or a form of gainful employment you can undertake while applying to GEM (it's not uncommon for GEM applicants to apply a few years running before they get an offer, I gather).

Otherwise, focus on doing as well as possible in the course and getting relevant work experience to apply for GEM. Also consider your finances and whether you might be able to support yourself in a standard entry medicine course as a graduate, which might be less competitive for entry (but with much more limited funding).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You should probably aim for a 1st if you can - GEM is more competitive than standard entry medicine, so you'll need every advantage you can get.

That said, the "sandwich" course variant may allow you to get a placement to complete the portfolio required for HCPC registration, although these can be hard to get into I hear. IBMS accreditation and HCPC registration are the two criteria required to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS. So that could be a good alternative option as well, and/or a form of gainful employment you can undertake while applying to GEM (it's not uncommon for GEM applicants to apply a few years running before they get an offer, I gather).

Otherwise, focus on doing as well as possible in the course and getting relevant work experience to apply for GEM. Also consider your finances and whether you might be able to support yourself in a standard entry medicine course as a graduate, which might be less competitive for entry (but with much more limited funding).

Oops I meant 2:1 minimum, ofc I'm going to aim for a first and thanks for the info, I might consider switching to a sandwich course
Reply 3
I've done my research and I know exactly how much I need to save and how long its going to take me to get that amount. I've also checked that in terms of applicants per place/ per interview there are some gem courses that are less competitive than the undergraduate courses. I know that retaking A levels may be the better option but I really feel like it's not a step forward. Also do many unis look at your A level grades for gem?
Original post by jamdai
Oops I meant 2:1 minimum, ofc I'm going to aim for a first and thanks for the info, I might consider switching to a sandwich course

You probably will be able to switch into it after starting, so maybe ask if that's possible upfront and see what they say. Then you can try and find an appropriate placement to develop the portfolio (@RegisteredBMS might be able to provide some more advice on what you'd be looking for) without committing to the year out in case you don't find one.
Reply 5
Also I'm quite worried because I've heard some negative things about westminster. What's so bad about it? Does it really matter what university you go to as long as you get the grades?
Original post by jamdai
Also I'm quite worried because I've heard some negative things about westminster. What's so bad about it? Does it really matter what university you go to as long as you get the grades?

I can't say I've heard anything about it, positive or negative. That doesn't imply there aren't issues, but likewise people complaining doesn't mean somewhere is wholly bad; it could be a department specific problem, and bear in mind people are more likely to complain about something than praise something generally :tongue:

As far as graduate entry medicine, or applying to BMS roles in the NHS, goes, no it doesn't matter. It does matter if you want to go into e.g. investment banking, but that isn't your goal so it's irrelevant.
Reply 7
I studied at Westminster uni for one year (biochem).

It is actually a really good uni with good facilities and lecturers. Many professors there do research and teach at uni's such as UCL and Kings.

Their bad reputation comes from their entry requirements being lower than others, so the first year they don't assume prior knowledge but you catch up pretty fast.

Retaking a levels may not be a good idea as many unis don't accept re takes for Medicine.
Internal switch availability is very dependent on the course provider. Just chat with the course leader or careers.
Reply 9
Original post by jamdai
Is anyone doing biomedical science at westminster university. My plan is to complete biomed and do graduate medicine. I've heard Westminster isn't a great uni but it was really my only choice because I didn't wanna retake my A levels. But surely if I work hard and get a 2:1 I could do graduate medicine.

Exact same situation, see you there. I've heard that it's actually a decent uni for biomed and they've got a medical society to help with applying for post grad.
Reply 10
Original post by Darkx
Exact same situation, see you there. I've heard that it's actually a decent uni for biomed and they've got a medical society to help with applying for post grad.

Oooh okay, I'll be looking out for that society. See you there 😁
Original post by jamdai
Oooh okay, I'll be looking out for that society. See you there 😁

Im thinking about doing biomedical science aswell in Westminster then a 2year postgrad course in Physician associate in a russel group like queen mary uni or ucl however i need a 2:2 minimum im scared do you think we can achieve it?
Reply 12
Original post by Seymabee
Im thinking about doing biomedical science aswell in Westminster then a 2year postgrad course in Physician associate in a russel group like queen mary uni or ucl however i need a 2:2 minimum im scared do you think we can achieve it?

Definitely, I've found them to be pretty decent in terms of teaching and support
is it fine taking biomedical science at Westminster University if I want to work in the NHS.Because the course is accredited by IMBS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending