The Student Room Group

Confusion over Medicine

Okay so I have just done my A-levels and achieved AAC - biology / history / chemistry - my C was two marks off a B so I missed out on my firm choice of studying Medicine at Liverpool University and Medical Biochemistry and Manchester University. Hoping that this would help me get a B, I decided to remark my chemistry and just my luck .... Paper 1 went up 2 marks, Paper 2 went up 1 mark but Paper 3 went down by three marks and I am so gutted because I started solidly revising for my UKCAT etc etc in hopes of reapplying next year but I think that dream is out the window. Absolutley gutted because I have a range of work experience, okay GCSE's and I was more than willing to put the work in to smash the UKCAT (I got 625 last time so second time lucky hopefully?) I do not know what do to next and my options are as follows:
1) enrol on my MMU biomedical science course (I got an offer on clearing but I havent gone through with online enrolement or anything)
^^^ from this I either apply to graduate entry medicine but how much of a chance will I stand? or finish my BSc and I was thinking do an Msc in biotechnology and enterprise or bioinformatics and go down that route and abandon medicine altogether (gutted but what can I do). Also I have no clue of the scope of doing biomed with no intention of medicine so again confusion everywhere.
2) do medicine abroad - but idk how wise of an option this is seeing due to brexit and the difficulties of coming back.
Any help / guidance from anyone who had been in a similar situation would be much much MUCH appreciated :smile:
can you not retake chemistry and reapply?
Reply 2
Original post by millenialpink
can you not retake chemistry and reapply?

that is what i wanted to do but most unis want minimum BBB and wont budge on the B being a C even if it was 2 marks off
Reply 3
It is REALLY easy to get caught up in the process of applying for medicine and forget that other courses can be just as rewarding. Bioinformatics sounds really interesting to me! Can you spend a day putting all thoughts of medicine and your annoying Chemistry remark on one side and just consider if the alternative careers and see if there's one feels sufficiently interesting? Doesn't have to be this one at MMU, could be you reapply this year but for something other than medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by mariam_alii
BOOST

It does seem Exeter and Bristol would accept the resit. Phone them.
Retake.
Rar
Reply 7
I just read your threat congrats on sheffield btw! but where did you apply and like how did u do in ur ukcat etc etc?
Reply 8
Okay so I have just done my A-levels and achieved AAC - biology / history / chemistry - my C was two marks off a B so I missed out on my firm choice of studying Medicine at Liverpool University and Medical Biochemistry and Manchester University. Hoping that this would help me get a B, I decided to remark my chemistry and just my luck .... Paper 1 went up 2 marks, Paper 2 went up 1 mark but Paper 3 went down by three marks and I am so gutted because I started solidly revising for my UKCAT etc etc in hopes of reapplying next year but I think that dream is out the window. Absolutley gutted because I have a range of work experience, okay GCSE's and I was more than willing to put the work in to smash the UKCAT (I got 625 last time so second time lucky hopefully?) I do not know what do to next and my options are as follows:
1) enrol on my MMU biomedical science course (I got an offer on clearing but I havent gone through with online enrolement or anything)
^^^ from this I either apply to graduate entry medicine but how much of a chance will I stand? or finish my BSc and I was thinking do an Msc in biotechnology and enterprise or bioinformatics and go down that route and abandon medicine altogether (gutted but what can I do). Also I have no clue of the scope of doing biomed with no intention of medicine so again confusion everywhere.
2) do medicine abroad - but idk how wise of an option this is seeing due to brexit and the difficulties of coming back.
Any help / guidance from anyone who had been in a similar situation would be much much MUCH appreciated :smile:

Graduate medicine is really competitive to get into. Without doubt the retake option is the best option if you want to be a doctor.1year is nothing in the scheme of things.
Reply 9
ahhh okay. i broke my 300+ medify questions streak today bc of trying to figure out what to do. do you know if these universities only accepted you're a levels due to ur circumstances? or would they have accepted you regardless
ahhh okay. i broke my 300+ medify questions streak today bc of trying to figure out what to do. do you know if these universities only accepted you're a levels due to ur circumstances? or would they have accepted you regardless

Bristol and Exetet are regardless. They do not discriminate against resits.
okay i will call them and confirm tomorrow morning. also liverpool said if i email them they might be able to consider me s fingers crossed !
Original post by Scotney
Bristol and Exetet are regardless. They do not discriminate against resits.

ahh okay. isnt exeter competitive to get into regardless idk i just got confused by its predicted and expected a level results table so i never bothered applying
Could you post that link here about Medical Schools that accept resits.Thanks

Gentle reminder rep all the useful posts you have recieved.And goodluck with your decision.
Thanks cannot rep again sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending