The Student Room Group

4 A levels or 3 with EPQ???? Help

I’m starting yr 12 on Wednesday and I rly need to finalise my a levels decisions!
I have chosen to do Maths Geography Economics and EPQ but now I’m considering changing the EPQ to English Lit.
I’m rly not sure what to do , whether I should stick with EPQ or change to English Lit?? Someone help me pls

Scroll to see replies

EPQ. those subjects are quite heavy. I’d only recommend four if the fourth if further maths
I did 5 at AS level and then looking to drop one later on. What did you get for GCSE? I did maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics and there were some links throughout. I think your subjects have an essay link so i think 4 would be possible. For me the work would get tough at certain points but I felt it was manageable. They will help your other subjects - just stay on top of it. EPQ is not worth it so if you are doing 3 I wouldn't even take EPQ... Geography seems to have a lot of next day homework at my school. Economics doesn't seem to be much work and maths doesn't have much heavy revision compared to English.
Reply 3
Original post by Aaryra
EPQ. those subjects are quite heavy. I’d only recommend four if the fourth if further maths

Okay thanks! Yh I’m not planning on doing further maths so thank youu
Reply 4
Okay thanks!! My family and friends r telling me that I should do 4 then if I find it too hard I can drop one to an As level. But I think I’ll go with 3 so thankss
Reply 5
Original post by Ed_Harris111
I did 5 at AS level and then looking to drop one later on. What did you get for GCSE? I did maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics and there were some links throughout. I think your subjects have an essay link so i think 4 would be possible. For me the work would get tough at certain points but I felt it was manageable. They will help your other subjects - just stay on top of it. EPQ is not worth it so if you are doing 3 I wouldn't even take EPQ... Geography seems to have a lot of next day homework at my school. Economics doesn't seem to be much work and maths doesn't have much heavy revision compared to English.

For gcse I got three 9s, six 8s and one 7
The 9s were in geography English lit and chemistry. In maths I got an 8 ( 3 marks from a 9 so I might get it remarked). But Yh I’m not sure coz lots of ppl r telling me that epq is a good asset for unis but I’m not sure. I’m just a bit scared of the work load if I do 4 a level as I don’t cope well under pressure and I felt GCSEs was just about okay with 10 subjects.
Original post by Rozina33
For gcse I got three 9s, six 8s and one 7
The 9s were in geography English lit and chemistry. In maths I got an 8 ( 3 marks from a 9 so I might get it remarked). But Yh I’m not sure coz lots of ppl r telling me that epq is a good asset for unis but I’m not sure. I’m just a bit scared of the work load if I do 4 a level as I don’t cope well under pressure and I felt GCSEs was just about okay with 10 subjects.

what do you want to do at uni? English lit is a lot more regarded than EPQ. not many unis care about it. The only good thing is you can use it to show passion in interviews or personal statements but it Is better tp just read 2 books on the subject instead of doing an EPQ
Reply 7
Is a level English lit quite similar to GCSEs?? As I found it okay but challenging at gcse. Also when revising for the exams is it hard to revise for ??
what do you want to do at uni? English lit is a lot more regarded than EPQ. not many unis care about it. The only good thing is you can use it to show passion in interviews or personal statements but it Is better tp just read 2 books on the subject instead of doing an EPQ

You would be able to cope with 4, just use your free periods and lunches occasionally
DO NOT DO ENGLISH!! EPQ & 3.

A-Level English is the biggest burden ever. It is torture.
Reply 10
You would be able to cope with 4, just use your free periods and lunches occasionally

Okay Thank youu
Reply 11

I want to go into economics and marketing.
Reply 12
Original post by cheerIeader
DO NOT DO ENGLISH!! EPQ & 3.

A-Level English is the biggest burden ever. It is torture.

Oh. In what way??
I would disagree. It depends what she wants to do at uni. All of these "lowered offers" are not that big a deal tbh. For you thats great like you get a lowered offer but it is only a few unis that do this and it was a lot of work just for that if you spent that time revising instead then the lowered offer wouldn't be needed because you'd have hours and hours to revise instead. Most unis DO CARE about 4 over 3. A lot of oxbridge students have 4 or 5 a levels.
If you are predicted 4 As over 3 As you're going to stand out.

BUT I do not think it is essential AT ALL because after A levels are done and youre at uni they dont really matter. What unis are you looking at and what courses? A lot of courses are pretty flexible on what you need and so why put the extra work in?
for economics and marketing I wouldn't take English as out is a lot of work but won't dramatically enhance your application
Reply 15
I don’t mind reading to be fair. The thing putting me off English is that a lot of people hv told me that it is veryyyy heavy and u hv to be really into it to want to do well in it. I rly enjoyed English lit at gcse however I just didn’t like the essay aspect with thinking of lines of arguments and stuff
Oh. In what way??

For most exam boards the grade boundaries are so close together. I expected an A* through consistent A*/A's in classes and coursework and came out with a D. There was heavy disappointment across the country. It is subjective marking and there was an estimated 55% of papers wrongly marked this year. In my opinion it's literally a hassle. Don't get me wrong, I got a 9 (A**) at GCSE and loved it and still do but I am still so conflicted and confused to how I got such a low mark.. most of my class sent our papers off for a remark so fingers crossed but honestly in my opinion it is not worth it if you do not need it. EPQ is a better option.

If you're passionate go ahead and do it, but from what I've heard pretty much every single person I know has regretted it and has come out with a poorer grade than expected (including the A*/A students). English was our lowest grade with nothing else below an A.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by cheerIeader
For most exam boards the grade boundaries are so close together. I expected an A* through consistent A*/A's in classes and coursework and came out with a D. There was heavy disappointment across the country. It is subjective marking and there was an estimated 55% of papers wrongly marked this year. In my opinion it's literally a hassle. Don't get me wrong, I got a 9 (A**) at GCSE and loved it and still do but I am still so conflicted and confused to how I got such a low mark.. most of my class sent our papers off for a remark so fingers crossed but honestly in my opinion it is not worth it if you do not need it. EPQ is a better option.

If you're passionate go ahead and do it, but from what I've heard pretty much every single person I know has regretted it and has come out with a poorer grade than expected (including the A*/A students). English was our lowest grade with nothing else below an A.

Oh okay thanks. Did u just get ur results this summer or a couple of yrs ago?
Reply 18
Okay thankss. Do u get ur result for EPQ in yr 12 or 13
Oh okay thanks. Did u just get ur results this summer or a couple of yrs ago?

This summer. I come from an exceptional sixth form with generally amazing results all across the board A*-B in every subject (minus Math and English). It's honestly been a daunting experience and I am so shocked as was everyone else.

I'm not saying you or anyone else can't excel but I'd definitely deeply consider looking into a) grade boundaries b) the sixth forms' past results in the subject and d) your enjoyment of the subject.. with profound focus on grade boundaries and the performance of your sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest