The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i like college a lot more than i liked school :smile:
Reply 21
rufus_approved
Why does everyone expect uni to be any better?

You can get drunk everyday :biggrin: It takes the pain away from your degree.. :p:

Also, you should study a subject you enjoy, not two you hate :redface:
Reply 22
I hate them. Didn't particularly like GCSE either though. It's just because I'm lazy though :p:
Reply 23
Loved A-level, hated GCSE, what a waste of time
Reply 24
I love A-levels. My teachers are the worst teachers a student could possibly have, or just me. So I have basically taught myself the three A-levels and think it is much more enjoyable than GCSEs as I am doing the subjects I like rather than forced to learn what I didn't like- like English, History or Language subjects.
Reply 25
jenny1333
I preferred A-Levels to GCSE I like the fact that i get to focus on the subjects I wanted to.

:ditto:

Plus discussions with teachers in English Literature are pretty enjoyable, some lessons are even fun. :eek3: Free periods, much less work than GCSE, and no bloomin' French or German! Maths is fairly laid-back, and Physics is usually alright. Essays aren't much fun, so I'll be glad to be doing nothing but Physics next year! :biggrin:
Reply 26
At this very moment till the 14 August i am loving them, not sure when i get my results though..
Reply 27
Hated due to the inconsistency with the exams/marking. How can a qualification be a valid assessment of your skills if you can get an A one paper, then an E the next with the same amount of work put in? It annoys me.
Great Atrocity to British Education System!
Maths and physics A-levels have been watered down so much and now AEAs are going. Soon enough, everyone will be getting an A* which makes the whole thing pointless.

And ballocks to the better teaching. People are being taught formulae and markschemes rather than understanding. A girl in my maths set got an A but do not understand how pythagoras works in 3 dimensions.
Reply 29
jenny1333
I've found them to have much more work than GCSE but i don't mind.

More per subject, undoubtedly. It's just the fact that you take a third of the subjects. Personally, I've certainly done less work per week than GCSE.
I definitely prefer A-levels. You get to study subjects you enjoy in much more detail, and in my case there is only one piece of coursework to put up with instead of twelve.
I just don't think highly of education in general.

I'm not sure how to pinpoint it, but it's a lot of different things. As someone mentioned, the way it's basically just memorising a mark scheme.
I have a friend who, you would think, is extremely "intelligent", however she got an A* at GCSE Geography, and when asked, I found she doesn't know where Scotland is. Not only that, but she does Economics A level, and when we were talking about inflation, she said that she didn't see what all the oil fuss was about because "all it means is that people won't be able to drive around any more". :rolleyes:

About the enjoyment of A levels, well... it's alright. I enjoy the fact that now people are almost always there because they want to be there, and respond well in lessons.
I actually hate free periods, though; I have two days a week where I have one lesson first thing, and one at the very end of the day! I have to spend hours and hours just wasting away time, especially in this period before Summer when I have no work to complete.
I prefer AS Biology and Maths to GCSE Biology and Maths. I prefer GCSE Chemistry and uh...ICT than AS Chemistry and Computing. They're not as bad as I thought they would be now that I've finished AS.
Reply 33
i have done two alevel subjects this year and will do two more in the 2008-2009 session... well gcses are the thing of the past...... alevels are a new challenge... whats the point of doing gcses when we have passed those exams? life has to move forward.
Abhor them with a vengence; the system of A-Levels that is.
Compared to GCSEs, A-levels are a dream. I have some really interesting teachers, and I like having more choice in what subjects I take.
do you think i like doing exams, im only doing it cuz u need it to get a good job

what kind of ridiculous person would ask if i like A levels
Reply 37
I like A levels, perfect number of subjects, and I like the size of modules and everything.
ramanprakash100
do you think i like doing exams, im only doing it cuz u need it to get a good job

what kind of ridiculous person would ask if i like A levels

Some people enjoy learning, Duh!
Reply 39
i dont mind them

Latest