The Student Room Group

LGBTQ + here’s what it means!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bingbong654
Sorry to be cynical but I really do just want to understand these things better.

The terms LGBTQ+... are either sexualities, genders, or something else.
Genders would mean you would have the following as genders: Male, Female, Lesbian (L), Gay (G), Bisexual (B) etc.
Sexualities would mean that LGTQ+... are simply terms used to express sexual orientation i.e. "I like men", or "I like everything". etc.

If LGBTQ refers to a list of genders then you can see that it is a little weird that Female and Lesbian are different genders when I would assume both would call them selves women. Also, why is male and female not also there since they are genders too?

If LGBTQ is a collection of sexual orientations then why the need to have Gay and Lesbian. Why not just have the term Homosexual?

However I suspect LGBTQ is really a group of terms used to refer to genders and sexualities? Therefore the terms simply mean what they mean - some are genders, some are sexualities, and others are something else. If this is the case, then what separates LGBTQAIPk+... from males and females?

As someone who is not any of the terms LGBTQ, I feel a little left out. It's hard to support a club that you're not in if you see what I mean.

Sorry I don't see what you mean, there is no need to feel left out when society as a whole is built around being straight and your sexuality. It's LGBT people who feel left out when there isn't representation of them or people decide it's not 'suitable' to teach about their existence in schools. It's quite easy to support things you aren't a part of, you can support rights for say black people without being black. This 'group' isn't a special club you are being excluded from its a community that has been formed after so many years of hatred and homophobia as a place where people feel welcome. Straight people excluded LGBT people for years but get upset when LGBT people start their own communties and events such as pride. There's some hipocrasy going on here.
And lesbian is not a gender.
Sorry to be cynical but I really do just want to understand these things better.

The terms LGBTQ+... are either sexualities, genders, or something else.
Genders would mean you would have the following as genders: Male, Female, Lesbian (L), Gay (G), Bisexual (B) etc.
Sexualities would mean that LGTQ+... are simply terms used to express sexual orientation i.e. "I like men", or "I like everything". etc.

If LGBTQ refers to a list of genders then you can see that it is a little weird that Female and Lesbian are different genders when I would assume both would call them selves women. Also, why is male and female not also there since they are genders too?

If LGBTQ is a collection of sexual orientations then why the need to have Gay and Lesbian. Why not just have the term Homosexual?

However I suspect LGBTQ is really a group of terms used to refer to genders and sexualities? Therefore the terms simply mean what they mean - some are genders, some are sexualities, and others are something else. If this is the case, then what separates LGBTQAIPk+... from males and females?

As someone who is not any of the terms LGBTQ, I feel a little left out. It's hard to support a club that you're not in if you see what I mean.

LGBT+ terms are (Very broadly) non-heterosexual, and non-cisgendered; it covers both genders and sexualities. That being said, some do also include A for Ally - that is to say, those outside the community who support it. I feel like it's important to understand though, that LGBT+ is not a club, it's a group of people trying to get equal rights - if you are not included within it, it's because you're lucky enough not to have to do that.
Original post by shadowdweller
LGBT+ terms are (Very broadly) non-heterosexual, and non-cisgendered; it covers both genders and sexualities. That being said, some do also include A for Ally - that is to say, those outside the community who support it. I feel like it's important to understand though, that LGBT+ is not a club, it's a group of people trying to get equal rights - if you are not included within it, it's because you're lucky enough not to have to do that.

Thanks for this. For me, I've never really seen anyone being attacked or treated differently for their sexuality. As such you can understand why it feels like a phoney war for me. I've never seen LGBT+ people have anything other than equal rights. I do live in a rural area but will soon be in a big city so I want to understand what you're about. I really feel that my generation will bring an end for a need to call yourself LGBT+ and you can just be a normal person.
Thanks for this. For me, I've never really seen anyone being attacked or treated differently for their sexuality. As such you can understand why it feels like a phoney war for me. I've never seen LGBT+ people have anything other than equal rights. I do live in a rural area but will soon be in a big city so I want to understand what you're about. I really feel that my generation will bring an end for a need to call yourself LGBT+ and you can just be a normal person.

LGBT people have equal rights in law (at least in britain, lets not forget the countries where it's illegal/punishable by death) but homophobia still exists, it would be nice if this generation brought an end to homophobia but i cant see that happening especially as long as religious scriptures condemn it and people are against it because they find it 'gross' or whatever.
Even if homophobia is ended people might still want to label themselves, just as you label yourself straight. It's just a descriptor of who you are and easier than saying 'im a woman who is attracted to other women'. LGBT people are normal already, they have a place in society like everyone else.

So I think part of this is that you simply won't see it as often if you're not LGBT+ yourself - as someone who is, I still see a lot of different treatment; I've had people shout comments on the street before, for instance, and that's a fairly mild form. Other people in the UK have been attacked for their sexuality - look at the lesbian couple attacked on the bus, for a recent example!

Broadly speaking, LGB+ rights in the UK are pretty good, but we're still getting there with T+ in my view; for example, in Canada they currently offer non-binary birth certificates - currently in the UK, there is no legal way to represent yourself as that. It's also worth noting that whilst 'Mx' is a legally recognised title in the UK, it's not currently included by every system, meaning that if you use said title, then certain providers, such as some DBS systems, will not allow non-binary individuals to actually use their system.

That's not to mention the state of things in many countries abroad, where LGBT+ people can still be arrested, or even killed, for their sexuality.

I hope that our generation brings about enough change that actually equality is feasible, but I don't think that will stop people needing to call themselves LGBT+, personally - society likes to label people, and it would take a huge change in how people see things, and how they see others, for that to be any different.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest