The Student Room Group

How can I build credit if I keep getting declined?

Hi, I am wondering how I can get my credit score up, currently on Experian it is at 248, which is very poor. I have tried to take out a phone contract, credit builder card, a sim only deal but I keep getting declined.

I have a defaulted account at £268 which I am going to pay off in full this month, I have registered on the electoral roll but because they are in the canvas period, my details won't be updated until 1st December, I have stopped making multiple applications as this may be the reason why I am declined.

What can I do to build my credit? How would I go about the phone contract situation?

Thank you,
Sian
Original post by Sian_d18
Hi, I am wondering how I can get my credit score up, currently on Experian it is at 248, which is very poor. I have tried to take out a phone contract, credit builder card, a sim only deal but I keep getting declined.

I have a defaulted account at £268 which I am going to pay off in full this month, I have registered on the electoral roll but because they are in the canvas period, my details won't be updated until 1st December, I have stopped making multiple applications as this may be the reason why I am declined.

What can I do to build my credit? How would I go about the phone contract situation?

Thank you,
Sian

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/

refusals can make it worse, so dont make them until you know you have a reasonable chance of being accepted.
Credit builder cards can help avoid credit cards as its to tempting to spend unless you can manage money good
Reply 3
Original post by Sian_d18

The main problem is the defaulted account. You need to get this paid off before you even think about applying for credit again.

If you haven't done so already, get copies of your statutory credit report from the credit reference agencies (CRAs), and check that what they have recorded is accurate. A month or so after you've paid off your defaulted account, get new copies of your credit report from any of the CRAs that showed it previously. Make sure they've marked it as having been paid off. Don't apply for any credit until you've paid off the defaulted account AND it's showing as paid off at the CRAs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending