The Student Room Group

switched degree, want to switch back

1) did a year of a degree*
2) switched to a different degree (restarted in 1st year)
3) just finished the first year of my 2nd degree and don't like it and regret leaving the first one. Will they allow me to start back in 2nd year or do I have to repeat all of first year (step 1*) again?
Ask the uni but it seems like you can’t make your mind up. Also, check with SFE
Reply 2
Original post by OR321
Ask the uni but it seems like you can’t make your mind up. Also, check with SFE

Nah I've made my mind up. I was torn between the 2 when i was applying tbh and liked the first course but thought I might prefer the 2nd one, I didn't.

Do unis tend to have a problem with a 1 year break from studies? Like if I had suspended my studies for a year and done something else would that be a problem. Pretty much the same thing except I've been doing a different course for the year.
Depends on the uni. If it’s a top one then they may not.
Most unis don’t mind you switching the once, maybe again depending on circumstance. If you are on student finance, that stops after 4 years worth of study, so you’ve already gone through half of that. If you were to switch again, and your uni let you (I don’t think they would be too happy since it is extra work for them and for you. They might ask you to make a decision and stick to it. For gap years, some uni may still need you to pay for the year to hold your place essentially. So again, that’ll make things harder for you financially at least (potentially). And it’s not a year off you took, you began a new degree programme so they might have a problem with it unlike if someone had just taken a year off and decided they wanted to do something different when they went back
Original post by Anonymous
3) just finished the first year of my 2nd degree and don't like it and regret leaving the first one. Will they allow me to start back in 2nd year or do I have to repeat all of first year (step 1*) again?

What problems do you have with your current degree, and are you 100% that you want to return to the first degree?

If so, are you intending to return to the first university? They may not allow you to go straight into second year depending on the department and the university policy. Also, the program may have changed in terms of the modules and the course structure, so it may not be so simple to go back straight into second year e.g. if prerequisite modules have changed. In such a case, you would have to start from scratch.
Original post by Anonymous

Only your university will be able to answer that. They have no obligation to take you back to the original degree- and they may or may not be willing to do so. If you passed everything you needed to in step 1 it maybe possible, but they might not want to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending