The Student Room Group

Want to go into finance but irrelevant degree

I'm about to start a Natural Sciences degree but know already I don't want to stay in science/ lab work. So thinking about getting placements for next summer or whenever. Realised I know nothing about finance so will be really lost with interview questions. Not sure what to do... Is it easy to swat up on a bit of business so you can answer these types of questions. Or would I be best to switch onto a relevant degree. Feel like i'm never going to get a good job with my degree.
do internship programmes and be commercially aware of whats going in in the relevant space you're interested in
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
do internship programmes and be commercially aware of whats going in in the relevant space you're interested in

Are these hard to get into? I've heard about 'spring weeks' and they seem to interview really thoroughly for it even though it's just a week
Original post by Anonymous
Are these hard to get into? I've heard about 'spring weeks' and they seem to interview really thoroughly for it even though it's just a week

Yeah these jobs that pay fresh graduates lots of money are quite competitive for some reason.

yes
Reply 5
yes

For all companies? What if I go for slightly worse companies like GSK or something- not a big bank. What increases your chances?

I am only doing natsci at a RG. I reject not going to UCL, Imperial, Warwick or somewhere cos I do have the grades.
For all companies? What if I go for slightly worse companies like GSK or something- not a big bank. What increases your chances?

I am only doing natsci at a RG. I reject not going to UCL, Imperial, Warwick or somewhere cos I do have the grades.

graduate schemes are competitive in general.

apply to many, its a numbers game - which is what people seem not to get.

back when i was applying.. i applied to ~30 internships, got ~5-6 interviews and 3 offers - so it's do-able.
Reply 7
graduate schemes are competitive in general.

apply to many, its a numbers game - which is what people seem not to get.

back when i was applying.. i applied to ~30 internships, got ~5-6 interviews and 3 offers - so it's do-able.

What degree/ uni were you at.
What degree/ uni were you at.

finance / semi-target (status of manchester, durham, kings, bath etc..)
Reply 9
finance / semi-target (status of manchester, durham, kings, bath etc..)

Do you know where Leeds/ York fall under this whole 'semi-target' thing?
Do you know where Leeds/ York fall under this whole 'semi-target' thing?

york falls into it, i believe.

tbh, if you grind hard enough, get into the networking scene - it's do-able. a friend of mine is in banking who studied finance at leeds.
Original post by lili4648
Hey, I think that regardless of which degree you are studying, you can secure a finance internship/job if you can demonstrate your skills and willingness to less. Check out Jobleau.com for hundreds of interview questions to practice with.

thanks!
Why not release yourself from the uni, take a gap year for some experience and reapply next year??
york falls into it, i believe.

tbh, if you grind hard enough, get into the networking scene - it's do-able. a friend of mine is in banking who studied finance at leeds.

tbh I thought Leeds was better than York lol. Interesting, thank you.

It's a shame because I know I have the grades to go somewhere way better.

How much is your Leeds friend earning? Tbh I'm not fussed about earning loads and loads but want to be on an alright salary. Even if you don't start off at one of the top firms can you still work your way up?

Does the course you do at uni matter?
tbh I thought Leeds was better than York lol. Interesting, thank you.

It's a shame because I know I have the grades to go somewhere way better.

How much is your Leeds friend earning? Tbh I'm not fussed about earning loads and loads but want to be on an alright salary. Even if you don't start off at one of the top firms can you still work your way up?

Does the course you do at uni matter?

street pay for investment banker

at a target less so, no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending