The Student Room Group

Bio VS Chem A level ???

so i recently started year 12 and the options i picked was maths, economics, geography and psychology. after 2 weeks of lessons i’ve realised i’m not enjoying the psychology lessons and want to switch it. seeing as i don’t know what to do in my future and i want to open as many doors for myself as possible i thought the best option was to pick a science. now i’m struggling on which science to pick. at gcse i did combined science and i got 9-8 and personally i found bio a lot easier as i mainly just memorised the info while in chem i actually had to understand it. however at my sixth form i’ve heard from basically everyone doing bio that the teacher is really **** and can’t teach while the chem teachers are really good. Bio is edexcel salters and Chem is OCR. i’d really appreciate if anyone can tell me how the course is or if they just have any advice :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bektunegero
so i recently started year 12 and the options i picked was maths, economics, geography and psychology. after 2 weeks of lessons i’ve realised i’m not enjoying the psychology lessons and want to switch it. seeing as i don’t know what to do in my future and i want to open as many doors for myself as possible i thought the best option was to pick a science. now i’m struggling on which science to pick. at gcse i did combined science and i got 9-8 and personally i found bio a lot easier as i mainly just memorised the info while in chem i actually had to understand it. however at my sixth form i’ve heard from basically everyone doing bio that the teacher is really **** and can’t teach while the chem teachers are really good. Bio is edexcel salters and Chem is OCR. i’d really appreciate if anyone can tell me how the course is or if they just have any advice :smile:

i would go for chem because its generally considered the harder science because theres more to understand so it opens up a lot more opportunities or at least makes you stand out. if you have good teachers in chem, then you'll understand it easier. alsooo, in chem, past paper questions are almost identical to what you get in the exam, but with biology they can vary quite a bit. bio is very content heavy and if theres bad teachers then the chance of understanding it all is low unless you can teach yourself but thats not what schools about! so, i'd go for chem. good luck with whatever u choose (:
Reply 2
Original post by yuhhhhhhhhyyh
i would go for chem because its generally considered the harder science because theres more to understand so it opens up a lot more opportunities or at least makes you stand out. if you have good teachers in chem, then you'll understand it easier. alsooo, in chem, past paper questions are almost identical to what you get in the exam, but with biology they can vary quite a bit. bio is very content heavy and if theres bad teachers then the chance of understanding it all is low unless you can teach yourself but thats not what schools about! so, i'd go for chem. good luck with whatever u choose (:

thank you!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest