The Student Room Group

Can I do well in A level psychology with a bad teacher?

My school has recently added psychology as an A level subject they teach but the teachers seems pretty bad.Not many students are willing to risk it and take psychology but I really want to. Should I?
If you think you can self-teach the majority then go for it. My teachers was bloody awful so I self-taught and got A* with 100% at A2. Can be done!
If you think you will enjoy the subject, why ever not? @smm98 did Psychology on his own and managed an impressive grade! I think as long as you have teachers to mark the work for you, there are plenty of good resources online (especially for AQA).
Original post by Noodlzzz
If you think you can self-teach the majority then go for it. My teachers was bloody awful so I self-taught and got A* with 100% at A2. Can be done!

Wow! Well done! Do you have any tips for the 16 markers and how hard do you think is it to master the longer essay asnwers?

(sorry OP if I am derailing, you might be interested in the answer too)
So I did A-level psych about 8 years ago now :tongue:

But tips for both: a lot of your essay should be an evaluation of what you state - things like critiquing the method of the study, ethical issues, does it relate to bigger topics such as debates on free will or reductionism/holism? As for long essays, practice makes perfect (espiaclly timed ones towards exam time)
Reply 5

Can it still be done as my fourth subject? I'm also taking law, business studies and biology.
So I did A-level psych about 8 years ago now :tongue:

But tips for both: a lot of your essay should be an evaluation of what you state - things like critiquing the method of the study, ethical issues, does it relate to bigger topics such as debates on free will or reductionism/holism? As for long essays, practice makes perfect (espiaclly timed ones towards exam time)

Do you think if one was to mark one's own work, it is more probable that the quality of the essays will not improve over time? When you were marking your essays, how did you distance yourself and mark critically? I am just nervous that because I am the person writing the essays, if I was to mark them, I wouldn't notice my mistakes and thus my efforts would be futile.

(lol sorry OP again)
I would find someone who could mark them, be it a teacher or ex-student who's willing to help (I would but am way too tied up with my degree, sorry!)
I would find someone who could mark them, be it a teacher or ex-student who's willing to help (I would but am way too tied up with my degree, sorry!)

No problem at all! Thank you. (Did you mark your own essays?)
I asked my teacher to mark a few, not all
Reply 10
Yh I managed to do alright in psychology without a teacher.

You just have to work hard:smile: And practice plenty of past papers and essays.

Research methods is also very important.

Quick Reply

Latest