The Student Room Group

Suspending Parliament was unlawful, court rules

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
Let’s entertain your thoughts for a sec:

Imagine, there is another referendum and it is to Leave. We then go another three years in debates and unnecessary arguments. Should we call a Brexit Vote 3 in 2022 because people may have changed their minds?

We wouldn’t need a third referendum.

The only reason we need a second referendum is because the result of the first one wasn’t specific enough. Even if 52% of the country voted to Leave, how do we know whether or not they approve of a no-deal scenario? How do we know whether or not they approve of the Irish backstop? We don’t.

A second referendum, with a Leave option that is attached to a particular deal (or indeed WTO terms) would provide a sufficiently clear instruction from the people to the government as to what their immediate action should be, so as not to need a third referendum. The first one failed to do this.
(edited 4 years ago)
:crazy:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not running scared of an election, not enabling Johnson. Because, amazingly they don't trust a guy who lied to the press, parliament, his ministers and now the Queen, to be honest about his intentions. They suspect he'll use an election to force a no deal brexit to happen by the timer running out, let him request the extension he is legally required to, and then with that extra time we can have another election

I agree. Hopefully when the election comes the people of Uxbridge and South Ruislip will elect someone else.

As for lying, it starts at home with Mr Johnson and the disgraceful lack of personal morality he has.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Good lord, not everything is bait or some hidden agenda or conspiracy...

You made the celebratory statement you 'triggered' my reaction :rolleyes:
Oh wow that would be TERRIBLE...!

I now live in an era where having regular votes is seen as, or twisted into, a 'bad' thing... elections are probably gonna be gone by the time I'm dead... for being 'undemocratic' no doubt...

@Wired_1800 point has just flew by you like a sonic Boom. :colonhash:

I'll try to ask some questions to get to the point you missed

What would the point if a second referendum be?

Will it realistically would it achieve?

How do we make it fit with parliamentary democracy?
Original post by Napp
No, it doesnt. As i have repeatedly said it has no majority, no internal agreement, no control of the house and not even an elected head. No one in their right mind can try and contend they have a mandate for anything but to call an election.
My argument is against your draconian use of the term 'will of the people' as i have already laid out. Aside from it being a commonly used phrase my dictators and autocrats it is also wrong considering a minority of the population of Great Britain and Northern Ireland voted for this dumb idea.

1) it's not a dumb idea!

2) The will of the people is determined by elections and every single national election since 2015 has been won on Brexit manifestos.

So you may not like this fact but the people keep voting for brexit. Therefore this determins 'the will of the people' which is to leave! The will of the people certainly not too remain!

Now you can feel free to namecall belittle, pick up spelling errors and generally cry :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
You don't want really want to go on holiday, if you are not willing to try any destination. For you holiday is a nice to have. For someone who really wants to go on holiday, then they are open to any means necessary.

In the same vein, some MPs see Brexit as a “nice to have”. They are not in a hurry and can spend the next decade extending and debating how to leave. For others, Brexit is a must and they want to leave, deal or no deal.

As I said before, if an MP is not willing to leave the EU deal or no deal, then they should leave their job and let someone else do that job. In any other occupation, these people would have been sacked for gross incompetence.

The Prime Minister has offered an election twice and the MPs have run scared because they are scared of the consequence. If they are as bold as they claim, they would have had an election and faced the people, who put them there. Look at Gauke, Grieve, Rudd, Boles and many other MPs, they are scared because their local Associations are ready for them during the next GE.

Be realistic. If someone wants to go on holiday they are going to try and get the best holiday they can. That's the situation that MPs are in right now. They're not going to give up and default on a crap holiday just for the sake of it.

"You can support something in principle but not support it by any means necessary." - Do you accept this statement, yes or no?
Original post by Burton Bridge
No, What you're capable of understanding (because you finally admitted after ping pong of painful posts) but refuse to fully comprehend is Labour and Teresa May's government wanted the exact same thing , a according to their own words.

They have acted dishonestly, the labour manifesto was a dishonest document. They can say they dont want no deal but really they mean they dont want brexit. I'd have more respect for them if they openly said this. Get off the fence and make your pledge to the country.

Borris Johnson does not want no deal anyway, no deal has never been realistically on the table and wont be unless we get a brexit party majority, which will never happen in a million years.

The final deal that May's government wanted and the final deal that Labour wants are two different things. They can't compromise on a middle ground so neither with support the other.

We've gone over this before, you're right. Labour will do whatever it can to stall and delay the government's objective if it doesn't align with their own. That's how the opposition works. It doesn't mean that they don't want Brexit, rather that they don't want May's (or Johnson's) visions of Brexit. If neither PM wants X, Y and Z that Labour want then Labour won't support them.
Surprised it was unanimous, but pleased the judiciary chose to ensure the executive cannot wield unchecked power. While I know it certainly wouldn't solve all of our problems, I can't help but feel as if this situation further reinforces the need for a written constitution. The fate of the country is being decided by an un-elected PM, a hereditary monarch, an upper house of un-elected lords, and arcane laws dating back to the Civil War. Surely we can do better than this.
A WELL-WRITTEN (and it should be so as to avoid making the situation worse) constitution could have made clear the circumstances in which a referendum is called, the impact of the outcome, and how to resolve significant disputes between judiciary, legislative, and executive, not to mention clearing up the rules surrounding prorogation. The arcane rules could be cleared up and codified, and the powers and responsibilities of each official in the political system made absolutely clear.
Original post by Napp
This is clearly wrong on every level. Aside from the fact Johnson has repeatedly threatened it (only a truely cowardly cur makes threats he doesnt intent to follow through on) his entire cabinet, more or less, want no deal. Never mind the rather simple fact that London only has a small say in it now, unless they stop ****ing around and actually make some headway in getting a deal the default option is no deal.

Try not to jinx it. Equally they need not get in but simply weaken the major players enough to establish themselves as the king maker. We will finally be run by a bunch of far right swivel eyed loons with that **** farage at their head. Welcome to brexit.

Let's revisit the context of those butchered quotes.

They have acted dishonestly, the labour manifesto was a dishonest document. They can say they dont want no deal but really they mean they dont want brexit. I'd have more respect for them if they openly said this. Get off the fence and make your pledge to the country. I actually said;

Borris Johnson does not want no deal anyway, no deal has never been realistically on the table and wont be unless we get a brexit party majority, which will never happen in a million years.

So I was talking about Borris Johnsons current plan. I believe the prorogation was intended to stop parliamentarians sabotaging any deal which would be made. No deal was never a realistic long term solution, it's a whipping stick. Brexiteers are trying to open up Britian to the wider world the EU currently closes us off too, we simply cannot arrange deals at present because our masters in Brussels forbid it! Therefore no deal is never going to happen anyone who thinks we can WTO with the rest if the world for an eternity is unaware.

Furthermore borris plan was to reheat May's deal, unfortunately the EU now has little motivation too provide any changes, so now it's looking to be mv4 thanks to parliamentarians.

Do you understand now?
Original post by SHallowvale
The final deal that May's government wanted and the final deal that Labour wants are two different things. They can't compromise on a middle ground so neither with support the other.

We've gone over this before, you're right. Labour will do whatever it can to stall and delay the government's objective if it doesn't align with their own. That's how the opposition works. It doesn't mean that they don't want Brexit, rather that they don't want May's (or Johnson's) visions of Brexit. If neither PM wants X, Y and Z that Labour want then Labour won't support them.

This is not the time to play opposition politics mate, we are in national emergency. They are playing with peoples jobs and businesses, we have been here before you're right and we went round and round and in the end you conceded at this point in time, they doo want the same thing! This is because it's TRUE, parliamentarians will be able to scrutinise later treaty changes/deals at the time, parliamentarians are sovereign!

They have acted dishonestly, the labour manifesto was a dishonest document. They can say they dont want no deal but really they mean they dont want brexit. I'd have more respect for them if they openly said this, they need to get off the fence and make their pledge to the country but I've said this in this very topic.

We agree that labour are deliberately acting to disrupt and delay frustrate the process, I find it hard to understand how you can justify this? As you have read across many topics I'll defend labour's policies to the hilt, im doing it currently regarding the private schools, but how can any sane person justify labour actively causing harm to the country by acting in a machiavellian manner, including lying to get elected is beyond me!

Labours voters outside of London are heavily leave, labour choose to lie to us and now they will reep the rewards of lying to my face! I and my fellow labour northern core voters will sack them at the ballet box. If I lived Bolsover (however you spell it) Dennis skinners consistently I'd still vote labour, but my little traitor of an MP has personally lied to my face and I cannot wait to vote against them.
(edited 4 years ago)
What's the alternative? Negate the sovereignty of parliament, declare that the executive can suspend democracy if it doesn't suit them?

No nobody was doing that, you are falling for remainer hysteria. Parliamentarians will convene and have their say on the deal borris Johnsons team was trying to stop parliamentarians scuppering, can you not see that?

I don't think it's a good idea to follow the American model of politics in the courts, do you?
Original post by SHallowvale
Be realistic. If someone wants to go on holiday they are going to try and get the best holiday they can. That's the situation that MPs are in right now. They're not going to give up and default on a crap holiday just for the sake of it.

"You can support something in principle but not support it by any means necessary." - Do you accept this statement, yes or no?

Like I said before, people don't really want to go on holiday, if they have the capacity to “shop around” or not go at all. Those desperate to go on holiday will do that. I am persistent on this point because I have experienced it with my mates. We really wanted to do on holiday that we ended up going to Aberystwyth in Wales cos it was what we could afford at that point.

Some MPs see Brexit as a nice to have or inconvenience that they are taking their time to decide what happens next. If the EU had refused to extend beyond October 31, I can bet you my car that those same MPs would get desperate and try to get Brexit sorted.

Yes, you can support something in principle. I don't disagree, but Brexit now should be any means necessary.
Not running scared of an election, not enabling Johnson. Because, amazingly they don't trust a guy who lied to the press, parliament, his ministers and now the Queen, to be honest about his intentions. They suspect he'll use an election to force a no deal brexit to happen by the timer running out, let him request the extension he is legally required to, and then with that extra time we can have another election

Lol, I don't buy that rubbish, sorry. They are trying to push Johnson, so he can break his key pledge and force his hand. That is the whole play here. It is not because they are “concerned” about No Deal Brexit.
Oh wow that would be TERRIBLE...!

I now live in an era where having regular votes is seen as, or twisted into, a 'bad' thing... elections are probably gonna be gone by the time I'm dead... for being 'undemocratic' no doubt...

People are beginning to see how corrupt Parliament really is. We were deluded that we were in a democracy until Brexit happened and showed us that those people don't care about you or me.
Original post by tazarooni89
We wouldn’t need a third referendum.

The only reason we need a second referendum is because the result of the first one wasn’t specific enough. Even if 52% of the country voted to Leave, how do we know whether or not they approve of a no-deal scenario? How do we know whether or not they approve of the Irish backstop? We don’t.

A second referendum, with a Leave option that is attached to a particular deal (or indeed WTO terms) would provide a sufficiently clear instruction from the people to the government as to what their immediate action should be, so as not to need a third referendum. The first one failed to do this.

This is nonsensical. No matter what happens, a second referendum would either split the Brexit vote or corner the Leavers.

Let’s assume a referendum scenario. There are three options:

1: Leave with Deal (30%)
2. Remain: (42%)
3. Leave with No Deal (28%)

Obviously the above shows that Remain won it, but we can see that Leavers voted to leave more at 58%. Also, it is interesting how people want to respect another referendum but not the first one.
Original post by QE2
The point is to determine opinion in a more representative and meaningful way than opinion polls.

Notwithstanding your complete lack of understanding of the issue - yes. Scottish politicians could propose legislation that would mean independence for Scotland. It would, of course, be defeated in parliament due to the relatively small number of Scottish MPs who favour independence. The next step would be secession from the Union, which would have serious ramifications if opposed by Westminster. Although I don't know why I'm bothering to explain any of this. You'll still respond with some vacuous non sequitur.

Ok
Original post by QE2
So why are you opposed to having a second referendum now that so much has changed?
Do you think that we should not have elections every five years because "the people have spoken" and to have another vote that could lead to a different result would be "undemocratic"?
*smh* ffs, this is precisely why important decisions should not be put to the people. The people are idiots.

Elections are different from referendums.
Original post by Napp
I never said they didnt? :s-smilie:
I do find it rather amusing you cant actually address the point though but instead resort to this petty victimhood and whataboutery. I mean seriously the argument of 'but they did it too' is something primary school people use. Do better.

Are you unaware of what a super majority is? Its not exactly an obscure concept when it comes to matters of supreme national importance.

The point that you are refusing to acknowledge was that the Government said they wanted a simple majority. If they had set a super majority as the threshold, then more people would have probably come out to vote.

This argument is silly because the vote has already happened. We cannot then move the goalposts after the vote.
The point would be, as it always is, gauging the public desire for a particular constitutional change - for instance if we finally acknowledge that right to rule is a load of garbage and talk about becoming a republic, that would justify a referendum. However, and I don't know how many times I have to say this before you actually read and comprehend it, referenda in British politics are not binding, they do not require that parliament then act and do that regardless of whatever else happens. There may be a moral demand that the referendum result is enacted but it is not legally obligated to do so. For it to be legally obligated to enact the result, a supermajority should be required, as it is in other democracies.

You are moving the goalposts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending