The Student Room Group

Does my boyfriend owe any money to his work?

He works at a rental car company and he missed that a customer had made significant damage ( I don’t know how he missed it, the windscreen was shattered) and because he missed it he returned the customers deposit back.

Apparently the customers policy is that the repair for the windscreen damage will be charged to my boyfriend?!? I just think that’s ridiculous! It will be deducted out his wages but he didn’t even do the damage?

I think it’s unfair but is this a common procedure with car rentals? I’m checking to see if this is common or whether the company he works for a little bit scammy
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
He works at a rental car company and he missed that a customer had made significant damage ( I don’t know how he missed it, the windscreen was shattered) and because he missed it he returned the customers deposit back.

Apparently the customers policy is that the repair for the windscreen damage will be charged to my boyfriend?!? I just think that’s ridiculous! It will be deducted out his wages but he didn’t even do the damage?

I think it’s unfair but is this a common procedure with car rentals? I’m checking to see if this is common or whether the company he works for a little bit scammy

No, that's definitely not common practice. As far as I know, that falls on the employer. The employer should be able to claim that back from their insurance, so I don't know why they would be asking this from him. The employer should also be able to chase after the client for this, as there is usually some clause in the contract that specify that they would be liable for this.

Unless your boyfriend is a contractor and is strictly self employed, then I don't think he would be liable for anything.

He can be fired for this oversight, but he shouldn't be liable to cover the damage.

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, and he should seek legal advice from a qualified professional for this
Not in the UK. Probably a stackable offence, however, as it appears to have been gross negligence.
Reply 3
I wonder what his contract of employment says on this, it seems a bit suss to me. Mind you, he could probably be disciplined for not doing the job properly
Reply 4
He needs to check his employment contract and obtain some legal advice from an employment lawyer.
If this provision is a contract term or it a non-contract included tradition of the employer, any such deduction from pay is most likely to be viewed as an unlawful deduction within England.
Without a contract of employment, the employer will most likely need your bf's agreement or a county court judgement in order for the deduction to be legal in England.

But your bf will likely face an investigation at work.
With possible discliplinary action or dismissal for his conduct as regards potential non-compliance with company rules when checking the condition of the vehicle and returning the customer's deposit.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
No, that's definitely not common practice. As far as I know, that falls on the employer. The employer should be able to claim that back from their insurance, so I don't know why they would be asking this from him. The employer should also be able to chase after the client for this, as there is usually some clause in the contract that specify that they would be liable for this.

Unless your boyfriend is a contractor and is strictly self employed, then I don't think he would be liable for anything.

He can be fired for this oversight, but he shouldn't be liable to cover the damage.

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, and he should seek legal advice from a qualified professional for this

Well this is exactly what I thought! I don’t think they’d fire him, he is usually v valuable to the company which is why I find it outrageous that they would deduct the cost of the windscreen out of his wages when he didn’t damage the car!

But yes I would rather they did fire him and he go somewhere elsewhere. The company where he works is very scammy and just about making money, as the majority of car rentals are unfortunately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending