The Student Room Group

Options after failing first year of uni

I was studying chemical engineering at loughborough but i failed my first year after retakes. I am currently considering either an apprenticeship or retaking a levels as a private candidate alongside work and then reapplying through UCAS. Just looking for advice, anything is appreciated.
Reply 1
Why did you fail after retake? If you put the work in and still failed perhaps this isnt the course for you.

What sort of apprenticeship do u want to do?

What Alevel grades did you get?
Original post by Nununu
Why did you fail after retake? If you put the work in and still failed perhaps this isnt the course for you.

What sort of apprenticeship do u want to do?

What Alevel grades did you get?

Honestly i failed because i didn't work hard enough. Don't think i'm going to go back to the same course if i choose that path.
I think an engineering or science based apprenticeship would be the best option for me as those tend to be the fields that suit my skills best.
I got an A* in french but am a native speaker so some unis do not count this and then BBB in physics, chemistry and maths.
Reply 3
Original post by Youennrolland
Honestly i failed because i didn't work hard enough. Don't think i'm going to go back to the same course if i choose that path.
I think an engineering or science based apprenticeship would be the best option for me as those tend to be the fields that suit my skills best.
I got an A* in french but am a native speaker so some unis do not count this and then BBB in physics, chemistry and maths.

Why didnt you work hard enough?

Are you lazy?

Yeah I think an apprenticeship would be best for you. Bear in mind they are very competitive and you will have to put in a lot of work simply applying to them. At this point they are harder to get into then uni

I dont think you need to resist your alevels
Useful website - 'Not Going to Uni' - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

And another option for Engineering - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/engineers/apprenticeships
Original post by Nununu
Why didnt you work hard enough?

Are you lazy?

Yeah I think an apprenticeship would be best for you. Bear in mind they are very competitive and you will have to put in a lot of work simply applying to them. At this point they are harder to get into then uni

I dont think you need to resist your alevels

I think I just got overwhelmed with the freedom and forgot my priorities and responsibilities. I feel like this is a wakeup call and I feel that I've gotten it out of my system now.
Reply 6
I think I just got overwhelmed with the freedom and forgot my priorities and responsibilities. I feel like this is a wakeup call and I feel that I've gotten it out of my system now.

I see.

Your uni is a top uni for your course so u do have to take it seriously from the start.

Look at the apprenticeships and see if u can end up with a career you will enjoy without a degree
I was studying chemical engineering at loughborough but i failed my first year after retakes. I am currently considering either an apprenticeship or retaking a levels as a private candidate alongside work and then reapplying through UCAS. Just looking for advice, anything is appreciated.

I wouldn't say you need to retake your A levels if you want to reapply to uni - you could still get good offers with A*BBB, especially as unis are sometimes more lenient when people apply with achieved grades rather than predicted grades. You just need to take it more seriously next time and maybe spend more time researching courses/unis to find the best fit for you. Maybe a different branch of engineering would be better for you, or a straight science degree or a degree in a subject not related to science (like Economics or Law) or a subject combining Science/Maths/Economics with French? You have the time to book Uni Open Days, attend various subject talks and really think it through

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending