The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Chumbaniya
Just me being a pedant, but... why is 'bicep' being used to describe the upper arm? A bicep that was 13 inches in circumference would actually be pretty huge, but an upper arm not so much.

that annoys me slightly as well. Especially since bicep should make up ~1/3 of the arm size irc
Because when you measure the upper arm generally its the bicep you flex. If you flex the tricep then the measurement is smaller, yet still of the upper arm. This saves confusion.
Bebbs
that annoys me slightly as well. Especially since bicep should make up ~1/3 of the arm size irc

Sounds about right. Looking at the amount of mass that's on the bicep side of my humerus (sp?) and the amount on the tricep side, the tricep side is definitely way bigger, at least 1 and half times as big.
Reply 783
Chumbaniya
Just me being a pedant, but... why is 'bicep' being used to describe the upper arm? A bicep that was 13 inches in circumference would actually be pretty huge, but an upper arm not so much.

I was thinking this also.
meathead1987
Because when you measure the upper arm generally its the bicep you flex. If you flex the tricep then the measurement is smaller, yet still of the upper arm. This saves confusion.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I suppose some people would assume 'upper arm' means the arm when straight.
meathead1987
You could go from 12 to 13" arms on a diet of biscuits and pies, the point is in the long term a vegan diet is not what we evolved to eat, do you disagree with that?

ANd stop preaching about being vegan and how great it is if you have to eat fish to cover your bases. You are admitting your own diet is deficient, yet advising it...

no, you can't read, i wasn't saying how great, rather it was you saying you need eggs, etc. Wrong!!!!!!!! Just correcting you that you don't actually need them.

you're being petulant now talking about biscuits, and back tracking from your erroneous post now that I'm facing off with you about it.

erm, i never looked at the evolution theory of diet, although I know it's an argument put forward by WestPrice Foundation to support meat eating. Yes, I did read stuff about fish might been an evolutionary part of the diet and I've read about the Paleo diet, but I can't judge about it from that biological evolution angle. In any case I don't think it's a thing to worry about and vegans don't worry what we ate 1000's of years ago.
More pedantry I'm afraid - you don't flex the biceps or triceps, you flex and extend the elbow. The elbow flexes when the biceps contract and extends when the triceps contract. Joints flex and extend, muscles contract and relax.
burningnun
More pedantry I'm afraid - you don't flex the biceps or triceps, you flex and extend the elbow. The elbow flexes when the biceps contract and extends when the triceps contract. Joints flex and extend, muscles contract and relax.

Ah Ok, what's the standard way of measuring biceps. If you say I've got 14" biceps is that with them ...... or 'at arms length'?
morning, went for a 40 minute run this morning!
Anyway my summers nearly over and my achievement is that i have not gained weight. Which I suppose 13 weeks at home with cupboards of food is no bad thing. At least when i go back (tomorrow) I will be walking 3 miles a day and taking my own healthy lunch!
I know you cant spot reduce but what exercise can I do to tone my:
1. Stomach
2. Upper thighs
3. Upper arms
4. Hips - love handles of whatever it is!
Cheers x
MeAndBubbles
So you're ignoring my challenge? Say I have 11" bicep muscle, or 12" including the fat. Wha you think I could gain on a vegan diet in 3mths pumping?

To get technical, I take B12, also I trying to get a better Omega3/6 balance. And if I eat omega 3's walnuts and flaxseed my body should convert into all the essentially fatty acids including DHA & EPA found in oily fish.

I probably will continue to eat the fish though to cover all the bases. The world still turns whether I do or not.

No one is disputing whether the world turns or not. You can also eat what you like, but please stop calling yourself either vegetarian or vegan when you eat milk chocolate and fish.
I'm just back from a 6 mile cycle i'm feeling great:biggrin: 2 wks left,hopefully i lose a stone.
Reply 791
I just binged on bran flakes. Does that count? :embarrassed:
Just came back from a Bodypump session - weights set to music effectively. Has anybody else tried it? What do you think? I like it because I would never push for that many reps or weight if somebody wasn't there shouting. It's also good in showing you the technique of free weights etc.

Just wanted some advice on diet though:

Breakfast - porridge with a little semi-skimmed milk and banana. Cup of tea with dash of milk and a spoonful of sugar

Snack - cereal bar

Lunch - one or two sandwiches: brown, wholegrain bread with a 'healthy' slice of cheese, some salad, a couple of tomatoes and an apple

Snack - cup of tea with dash of milk and spoonful of sugar and another cereal bar

Dinner - wholegrain pasta with homemade bolognaise / prawns with tomato sauce and rice / a little quiche and salad etc etc

Sound ok?
Grappling
No one is disputing whether the world turns or not. You can also eat what you like, but please stop calling yourself either vegetarian or vegan when you eat milk chocolate and fish.

you stupid moo i went back to vegan since 5 days ago, yes I know milk chocolate isn't vegan that's a problem for me. The mod have already prosided over this issue in my favour.

also you could be supported of me instread of seeming being one of the bodybuilding/weight-lifting trolls.
Reply 794
Please have a look and offer opinions, really need some as get no help from family/friends. Week or two of seeing what training is good and i've come up with.

Diet:
Breakfast: Cereal (Special K most probably)
Lunch: Spinch salad with red/green peppers and ham/tuna.
Dinner: Cooked chicken breast with veg and onions
Snacks: Fruit
Plenty of water. 2 pints in the morning and evening at minimum.

Probably need to shore the diet up (and variety) but once in a steady pattern can add variety.

Gym:
Cardio - 5 miles every day (2/3 on those that I am working purely time restricted). This will be on treadmill to start with before moving on to rowing machine alone or combined.

Weights -
Arms/Shoulder - Monday/Thursday
Legs - Tuesday/Friday
Abs/Pecs - Wednsday/Saturday

Sunday complete rest day.

Any good training methods or techniques will be apprecited, but i'll see what I can do in the gym and then build it up.

On top of this, 50 bicep curls, 50 situps and 20 pressups every night.

I've slowly been building up to september and i'm going to hit it hard for a month (and then see where I can improve/reduce etc). I've contemplated giving up (on the other thread) but it's my life and I need to get myself into order. Any help you can give would be appreciated (especially on the diet) but please don't quote ... need 1,500 cals or whatever as I can't get my head around this. Meals or diet plans would be great.
Reply 795
I've unintentionally lost a stone this summer. I was hoping to tone up a bit but a bout of illness and just cutting all the crap out of my diet has worked wonders.
MeAndBubbles
you stupid moo i went back to vegan since 5 days ago, yes I know milk chocolate isn't vegan that's a problem for me. The mod have already prosided over this issue in my favour.

also you could be supported of me instread of seeming being one of the bodybuilding/weight-lifting trolls.

I'm vegetarian. I'll quite happily support you in your dietary choices. However, there is already quite a lot of prejudice and misinformation surrounding whether a vegan or vegetarian diet is good enough to decently sustain a high level of physical activity. Therefore it doesn’t help your own credibility or other vegetarians/vegans if you repeatedly post about your vegan diet (and the evils of meat/dairy) and at the same time mention the meat or dairy you have eaten.

Making the transition to a vegan diet can be hard, just say that’s what you’re doing, people aren’t mind readers. As to the chocolate - that’s fairly easily solved! Milk chocolate is easier to find, but just get a decent supply of vegan chocolate and you won’t feel the need to eat anything else.

Also, I’d appreciate it if you refrained from calling me names. The mods can say what they like. I haven’t been rude or insulting. If you hadn’t kept posting vegan propaganda, then no on would have given a toss about your diet. Doing sport/weightlifting and caring about my diet doesn’t make me a troll either.
sophisti_kate
Just came back from a Bodypump session - weights set to music effectively. Has anybody else tried it? What do you think? I like it because I would never push for that many reps or weight if somebody wasn't there shouting. It's also good in showing you the technique of free weights etc.

Just wanted some advice on diet though:

Breakfast - porridge with a little semi-skimmed milk and banana. Cup of tea with dash of milk and a spoonful of sugar

Snack - cereal bar

Lunch - one or two sandwiches: brown, wholegrain bread with a 'healthy' slice of cheese, some salad, a couple of tomatoes and an apple

Snack - cup of tea with dash of milk and spoonful of sugar and another cereal bar

Dinner - wholegrain pasta with homemade bolognaise / prawns with tomato sauce and rice / a little quiche and salad etc etc

Sound ok?

instead of the cereal bar,why not have an apple? maybe leave out the bread and the pasta, even wholegrain is still stodge..instead of pasta for dinner ,why not have steamed vegetables and steamed fish?
Mokert23
Please have a look and offer opinions, really need some as get no help from family/friends. Week or two of seeing what training is good and i've come up with.

Diet:
Breakfast: Cereal (Special K most probably)
Lunch: Spinch salad with red/green peppers and ham/tuna.
Dinner: Cooked chicken breast with veg and onions
Snacks: Fruit
Plenty of water. 2 pints in the morning and evening at minimum.

Probably need to shore the diet up (and variety) but once in a steady pattern can add variety.

Gym:
Cardio - 5 miles every day (2/3 on those that I am working purely time restricted). This will be on treadmill to start with before moving on to rowing machine alone or combined.

Weights -
Arms/Shoulder - Monday/Thursday
Legs - Tuesday/Friday
Abs/Pecs - Wednsday/Saturday

Sunday complete rest day.

Any good training methods or techniques will be apprecited, but i'll see what I can do in the gym and then build it up.

On top of this, 50 bicep curls, 50 situps and 20 pressups every night.

I've slowly been building up to september and i'm going to hit it hard for a month (and then see where I can improve/reduce etc). I've contemplated giving up (on the other thread) but it's my life and I need to get myself into order. Any help you can give would be appreciated (especially on the diet) but please don't quote ... need 1,500 cals or whatever as I can't get my head around this. Meals or diet plans would be great.

breakfast - Musili
Snack- raisons/grapes/water
Lunch -Rye biscuits /cottage cheese
Dinner -steamed veg. with steamed Fish such as place?

my diet at the mo -the fish +2 blueberry muffins a day.
MeAndBubbles
no, you can't read, i wasn't saying how great, rather it was you saying you need eggs, etc. Wrong!!!!!!!! Just correcting you that you don't actually need them.

you're being petulant now talking about biscuits, and back tracking from your erroneous post now that I'm facing off with you about it.

erm, i never looked at the evolution theory of diet, although I know it's an argument put forward by WestPrice Foundation to support meat eating. Yes, I did read stuff about fish might been an evolutionary part of the diet and I've read about the Paleo diet, but I can't judge about it from that biological evolution angle. In any case I don't think it's a thing to worry about and vegans don't worry what we ate 1000's of years ago.

I never said they need eggs, I believe I said they need more protein, which they do! Their diet was very low in protein and the easiest way to get more protein is through the foods I listed. I mean, they could eat lentils/beans/tofu whatever but whats the point of suggesting that if the person doesnt say they are vegan.

I am not back tracking, you said you could go from 12-13" arms eating a vegan diet, I claimed I could get a n00b to 13" arms eating only biscuits and pies, and I could.

What exactly do you think we ate when we were evolving? You honestly believe we went to the bother of growing, soaking, and boiling beans and lentils when there were nice juicy animals to eat. No doubt foraging fruit was also a big part of the paleo diet but a caveman would be stupid to turn down a meat meal, especially when he/she would have no access to modern supplements and foodstuffs like tofu. Why do you think we have omnivorous teeth?

Latest