London

UCL law applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

do u do law aqa?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by paulzhou99
Hi there! I hold a deferred offer for the school from my application in 2019 (so I’ll see some of you next year I guess). Anyways there’s no need to panic about the silence now. Most of the offers come out really late. In fact, I only got mine around March this year. Hope that helped!

Hi. Do you think UCL and other competitive unis still accept applications for law at this juncture? Do they have a different deadline from 15 Jan 2020? I know applications to Oxford and Cambridge are closed.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. Do you think UCL and other competitive unis still accept applications for law at this juncture? Do they have a different deadline from 15 Jan 2020? I know applications to Oxford and Cambridge are closed.

They do still accept applications up to 15th Jan yes but don't forget you will also need to get the LNAT done in time for UCL LSE, Kings, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Glasgow and SOAS (not compulsory at SOAS).
Has anyone got offers yet?
Original post by vvorriedbic
Has anyone got offers yet?

Yep Sheffied : AAB
Exeter : if i make it my firm then ABB
Hey guys, I am in my first year at UCL Laws. If I had to give one piece of advice it would be to really focus on your LNAT essay, which is heavily weighted in the application process here. Do not leave the essay practice til late! If you want any more advice just PM me I'm happy to provide any help as I was in your position this time last year:smile:
Original post by harrysbar
They do still accept applications up to 15th Jan yes but don't forget you will also need to get the LNAT done in time for UCL LSE, Kings, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Glasgow and SOAS (not compulsory at SOAS).

Thank you so much for your response. :wink:
Original post by anonymous937859
Hey guys, I am in my first year at UCL Laws. If I had to give one piece of advice it would be to really focus on your LNAT essay, which is heavily weighted in the application process here. Do not leave the essay practice til late! If you want any more advice just PM me I'm happy to provide any help as I was in your position this time last year:smile:

This means I won't get in :cry2: since I completely ran out of time and thus messed up my essay... Do you think I still have at least a small chance of getting in?
Original post by ClaraCau
This means I won't get in :cry2: since I completely ran out of time and thus messed up my essay... Do you think I still have at least a small chance of getting in?

You can never tell. I thought I had failed mine but I got an offer from Bristol and an Oxford interview. Honestly you are the worst person to judge how well you’ve done 🙃

As a holistic approach to your application is taken, just because you "messed up" your essay definitely will not automatically lead to a rejection! Also, I am sure you did much better than expected! As long as what you have written is good it'll be fine IMO! The tutor reading your essay takes into account that you had to write the essay under pressure. Don't worry too much!
You can never tell. I thought I had failed mine but I got an offer from Bristol and an Oxford interview. Honestly you are the worst person to judge how well you’ve done 🙃

Yes you are right... But I didn't even have time to finish my essay... I might even have made some language mistakes due to stress and because of the keyboard that was not like the ones I am used to. (That's not sure tho...)
I'm gonna try to stay hopeful but it's kind of hard tbh.
Reply 71

i didn’t do well in my essay either i wrote about 400 words :frown:
As a holistic approach to your application is taken, just because you "messed up" your essay definitely will not automatically lead to a rejection! Also, I am sure you did much better than expected! As long as what you have written is good it'll be fine IMO! The tutor reading your essay takes into account that you had to write the essay under pressure. Don't worry too much!

Thank you, that's a bit reassuring... Yeah I kind of panicked partly because of the keyboard that was not like the ones I am used to at all and that made me lose a whole lot of time...
I obtained 2A* 1A in my A Level (Psychology, Business Studies and Sociology). However, my IGCSE grades aren't that great. I am planning to read law. Given my results, what are the good unis for law that I stand a chance in being accepted? I am thinking of LSE, UCL, KING'S, DURHAM and BRISTOR. Please advise.

Thank you.
I obtained 2A* 1A in my A Level (Psychology, Business Studies and Sociology). However, my IGCSE grades aren't that great. I am planning to read law. Given my results, what are the good unis for law that I stand a chance in being accepted? I am thinking of LSE, UCL, KING'S, DURHAM and BRISTOR. Please advise.

Thank you.

You should post this on the Law forum (start a new thread) because this thread is specifically about UCL

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Original post by harrysbar
You should post this on the Law forum (start a new thread) because this thread is specifically about UCL

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Oops! Sorry. Thank u.

Hi. Would I stand a good chance for law if these are my A Levels : A* (Psych) A* (Business) A (Sociology)? I only have 5 IGCSEs and they are not great. =P

If I have strong application but messed up on the LNAT essay should I give up on getting into UCL? My PS is strong too I just didn't think the LNAT would that important.

I have an IB score of 39 in total with 7s in my lang and lit subjects (Spanish and English HL ) but I didn't take the LNAT seriously and now I'm not sure how badly its gonna hurt my application. Im not from the UK so maybe its explained differently there but here they told me it was just something you had too (not even prepare for) for the sake of applying to law universities in the UK. Like some sort of IQ test thingy that you go and do, I did quite well on the MCQ (i think) but i was surprised at how intense it was. However the essay questions caught me off guard and wrote a miserably short essay that I rushed in the last 10m.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi. Would I stand a good chance for law if these are my A Levels : A* (Psych) A* (Business) A (Sociology)? I only have 5 IGCSEs and they are not great. =P

I think you would! I personally got A*AA so you will be fine!
Original post by Gerard Alon
If I have strong application but messed up on the LNAT essay should I give up on getting into UCL? My PS is strong too I just didn't think the LNAT would that important.

I have an IB score of 39 in total with 7s in my lang and lit subjects (Spanish and English HL ) but I didn't take the LNAT seriously and now I'm not sure how badly its gonna hurt my application. Im not from the UK so maybe its explained differently there but here they told me it was just something you had too (not even prepare for) for the sake of applying to law universities in the UK. Like some sort of IQ test thingy that you go and do, I did quite well on the MCQ (i think) but i was surprised at how intense it was. However the essay questions caught me off guard and wrote a miserably short essay that I rushed in the last 10m.

You're right - the LNAT essay is just one part of the application, but what UCL really looks for in candidates is the ability to develop a good (legal, but not necessarily so) argument, which is mainly reflected in the LNAT essay. If you have demonstrated this ability in your personal statement, and if you have done so-so on the LNAT essay, I don't think you should worry too much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending