The Student Room Group

A* in Politics and Maths.

Okay, so I’m with a distance learning provider. What are people’s top tips for achieving A/A*’s in these subjects: Maths and Politics?
No idea about politics, maths in general is all about doing as many practice problems as you can, timed past papers, etc, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
No idea about politics, maths in general is all about doing as many practice problems as you can, timed past papers, etc, etc.

Yes, for maths, I’m doing it in one year, does my plan sound realistic or optimistic:

Complete Pure 1 by end of Nov
Complete Mech&Stats 1 by early Jan
Complete Pure 2 by mid Feb
Complete Mech&Stats by end March

Also, should I take notes, or just practice practice practice?
Original post by satsun
Yes, for maths, I’m doing it in one year, does my plan sound realistic or optimistic:

I don't really know about timing, I didn't do A-level Maths (in one year or otherwise), as I did my maths in a foundation year at uni.

As far as writing notes, I mean some kind of notes outlining what you need to learn, any particular definitions or formulae etc you need to know that aren't given, would be useful. But you then need to spend as much time using those notes working on practice problems and past papers etc. Just writing them out is definitely not enough!
Original post by satsun

Likely unrealistic, you will have exams which you will need to revise for ( as they will matter for what your teachers think for you, in turn, your reference along with the prediction. Additionally, it would not be recommended to do this, the jump from A1-A2 may be too quick - A2 maths is ALOT harder and a lot more fundamental knowledge is needed. Therefore, you will need to have made sure you are SOLID with AS, completely solid having done almost all types of exam questions before moving on. As you may find yourself progressing in terms of what chapter you are on, but not so much in your mathematical skill. I would say AS pure and M+S also 1/2 of pure 2.
Reply 5
Original post by Albdaeni
Likely unrealistic, you will have exams which you will need to revise for ( as they will matter for what your teachers think for you, in turn, your reference along with the prediction. Additionally, it would not be recommended to do this, the jump from A1-A2 may be too quick - A2 maths is ALOT harder and a lot more fundamental knowledge is needed. Therefore, you will need to have made sure you are SOLID with AS, completely solid having done almost all types of exam questions before moving on. As you may find yourself progressing in terms of what chapter you are on, but not so much in your mathematical skill. I would say AS pure and M+S also 1/2 of pure 2.

I’m only doing two subjects, I’m literally dedicating my life to them, so I feel I can do it, weekends, weekdays, evenings.

Quick Reply

Latest