The Student Room Group

did i make the wrong decision

basically, i feel like i’m going uni for the sake of it. I don’t know what to do in the future, never did. I’m studying politics because i loved it at a level and i was good at it, but it’s not something i’m extremely passionate about. Everyday i ask myself what am i doing with my life, am i wasting time and money? I didn’t want to take a gap year because i didn’t know what to do in it, i cba working in retail or something for a year. My parents were against a gap year anyway. So what i’m saying is, will me going to uni studying politics limit me in anyway, and does it sound like a waste of time and money? I think i’ll just apply for general graduate jobs when i graduate, gain work experience and just go from there? i’m planning to do internships too because i know a degree on its own is absolutely useless, especially because mine is not vocational. So what do you lot think, any advice? thanks in advance !
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Perhaps think about whether there's any career paths you would like to pursue and pick a degree that will let you do that. Or maybe you want to make sure you're going for an in demand field because you don't like interviews, or a lucrative one because you want to be able to fund your passion, what ever it is. I've always been under the impression that the student loan deal only applies for the first degree, but I may be wrong. Also note that certain unis encourage switching during the first year, which is something you can ask about at the open days.
Reply 2
Original post by Nashy19
Perhaps think about whether there's any career paths you would like to pursue and pick a degree that will let you do that. Or maybe you want to make sure you're going for an in demand field because you don't like interviews, or a lucrative one because you want to be able to fund your passion, what ever it is. I've always been under the impression that the student loan deal only applies for the first degree, but I may be wrong. Also note that certain unis encourage switching during the first year, which is something you can ask about at the open days.

thanks for the advice. i’m already in uni studying politics. what do you mean when you say ‘or make sure you’re going for an in demand field because you don’t like interviews’.
Reply 3
Original post by rockhead08
thanks for the advice. i’m already in uni studying politics. what do you mean when you say ‘or make sure you’re going for an in demand field because you don’t like interviews’.

It was just a random example of a possible motivation for choosing a certain career path. If the industry has a skill shortage than the interviews are a breeze, compared to competitive fields. It probably wouldn't matter to most people.
Reply 4
Original post by Nashy19
It was just a random example of a possible motivation for choosing a certain career path. If the industry has a skill shortage than the interviews are a breeze, compared to competitive fields. It probably wouldn't matter to most people.

ohh i see

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending