The Student Room Group

Hate my university and feeling low...

My situation is quite complicated. Firstly, I got into my dream uni to do my dream course (I even got grades just shy of the offer, but they were still kind enough to let me in). However, following that, I declined it in favour of the university I am currently in, which is close to home, meaning I am living at home. This was quite possibly the worst and most upsetting decision I have ever made.

I live in Ireland and for various reasons, going to the UK was always what I wanted to do. Instead, I chose Trinity due to the significantly lower fees and the uncertainty with Brexit (both points could have been overlooked had not my Dad stressed them (my Mum is from the UK and so was my biggest ally in going)).

It's nearing the end of the second month and I am getting more and more unhappy. So much so that, while I am doing the same course that I wanted to do in the UK, I am starting to resent it.

I have now just realised that I haven't gone to any uni lectures or tutorials in two weeks. I have emailed my lecturers to say I am sick and so far they have been sending me the work.

I joined lots of societies and clubs, hoping that they would make the next four years somewhat bearable, but however much I now love to row, I realise that I can't just turn up to rowing training and not to classes.

I'm not ungrateful for what I have now, but I cannot go on with what I am doing much longer- it's draining. I can't bring myself to go to the classes. the problem with being from Dublin and going to university in Dublin (as many, if not most people, do) is that I pretty much know or at least know of most of the people. Likewise with the social life. Nothing is new or exciting.

I am considering dropping out, taking a gap year and reapplying to my first university in the UK (although I also run the risk of not getting in with my slightly lower grades the second time around). My parents have advised me to finish the year here first but I know if I do, my grades won't be anything remotely special.

This really turned out to be more of a whine than an outline as to my situation, which certainly wasn't intended. Nevertheless, I was hoping there was someone who is/was in perhaps the same or similar circumstances that could share their experiences or plans.

I also have so so so many questions about transferring ...

Thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by riam2017
My situation is quite complicated. Firstly, I got into my dream uni to do my dream course (I even got grades just shy of the offer, but they were still kind enough to let me in). However, following that, I declined it in favour of the university I am currently in, which is close to home, meaning I am living at home. This was quite possibly the worst and most upsetting decision I have ever made.

I live in Ireland and for various reasons, going to the UK was always what I wanted to do. Instead, I chose Trinity due to the significantly lower fees and the uncertainty with Brexit (both points could have been overlooked had not my Dad stressed them (my Mum is from the UK and so was my biggest ally in going)).

It's nearing the end of the second month and I am getting more and more unhappy. So much so that, while I am doing the same course that I wanted to do in the UK, I am starting to resent it.

I have now just realised that I haven't gone to any uni lectures or tutorials in two weeks. I have emailed my lecturers to say I am sick and so far they have been sending me the work.

I joined lots of societies and clubs, hoping that they would make the next four years somewhat bearable, but however much I now love to row, I realise that I can't just turn up to rowing training and not to classes.

I'm not ungrateful for what I have now, but I cannot go on with what I am doing much longer- it's draining. I can't bring myself to go to the classes. the problem with being from Dublin and going to university in Dublin (as many, if not most people, do) is that I pretty much know or at least know of most of the people. Likewise with the social life. Nothing is new or exciting.

I am considering dropping out, taking a gap year and reapplying to my first university in the UK (although I also run the risk of not getting in with my slightly lower grades the second time around). My parents have advised me to finish the year here first but I know if I do, my grades won't be anything remotely special.

This really turned out to be more of a whine than an outline as to my situation, which certainly wasn't intended. Nevertheless, I was hoping there was someone who is/was in perhaps the same or similar circumstances that could share their experiences or plans.

I also have so so so many questions about transferring ...

Thank you in advance :smile:

I really don't know how to approach this, I just don't know. I mean... parents try to look out for there kids as best as they can and advise them to do the best thing. Your Dad was just trying to look out for you, but us 18 year olds are the ones that have to go and live in these cities and go to these uni's, which is why it's important that we are happy with where we are. I think you should maybe try and attend the lectures, it isn't school or A levels, nobody is going to carry you. If you really don't like it then maybe try and transfer, you might be able to switch and not lose out on much. Good luck.
Reply 2
You could look at transferring, in which case you should ask the unis in the UK you like about the prospect. Otherwise you have reached this conclusion early enough that you could apply through UCAS for entry next year
you're making a big assumption there that if you went to another university you'd have a better time. you may have gone hated it then be making a thread saying i resent it here and should have stayed in dublin
Reply 4
Original post by steamed-hams
you're making a big assumption there that if you went to another university you'd have a better time. you may have gone hated it then be making a thread saying i resent it here and should have stayed in dublin

Well I mean yeah of course, but surely every choice about where one studies and lives is a risk, especially when one never really knows what it's going to be like? The way I see it, I've tried this, realised I dislike it hugely, and have now only to hope I like the other option better, instead of just staying here with my teeth grit.
Drop out wagwan
Original post by steamed-hams

Last year I was thinking of transferring unis. I definitely know I'd have a better time at that uni/city compared to this current one. But here I am... a year later still sticking it through. I realised that if I had moved I won't be entitled to a scholarship so I'm hanging by a thread staying here just to complete my degree and then I'm moving straight to the city I want to study in (again for my masters) just giving y'all inside info about me. Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending