The Student Room Group

Any tips from Postgrad Psychology students to Undergrad Psychology?

Hi.

I fell in love with my course, I am considering to pursue graduate programme in Psychology .

I'm currently a first year student, so I am hoping to do anything that could make my graduate application stand out from the crowd.

Any tips?
Reply 1
I used to date a 'shrink'. She had a Doctorate, and a private psychotherapy practice. In contrast, i am an electrical engineer. She told me that it is nearly impossible to make a living [on this side of the pond anyway], without having the full Doctorate. A Bachelors or Masters in Psychology is nearly worthless [according to her]. In contrast, a Bachelors in engineering is quite salable. As to how to 'spice up' your application for graduate school, I really can't help much. Before putting in all that work, you might want to investigate what the career prospects for you will be, once you get the Doctorate. Best of Luck!!
Original post by Philosophus1.618
Hi.

I fell in love with my course, I am considering to pursue graduate programme in Psychology .

I'm currently a first year student, so I am hoping to do anything that could make my graduate application stand out from the crowd.

Any tips?

What speific postgrad degree to you want to do? It will be different depending on whether you want to do a research masters/PhD, educational/clinical psych doctorate, health psychology, etc.
Work experience is probably the single most important aspect of your application (apart from the grade they require), showing you can use the knowledge gained from your undergraduate degree in an applied setting is crucial
Original post by iammichealjackson
What speific postgrad degree to you want to do? It will be different depending on whether you want to do a research masters/PhD, educational/clinical psych doctorate, health psychology, etc.

I'm still deciding between clinical, developmental, and social psychology.
I'm planning to get exposed to all of these.
I'm still deciding between clinical, developmental, and social psychology.
I'm planning to get exposed to all of these.

For the latter two ideally you want to get research experience. The best positions tend to be Research Assistant jobs (as they're paid and won't get you into more debt), but they're hard to get with just an undergraduate degree, so doing a research-focused masters would be good, or just working on a summer project in a lab would be good experience too!
Original post by iammichealjackson
For the latter two ideally you want to get research experience. The best positions tend to be Research Assistant jobs (as they're paid and won't get you into more debt), but they're hard to get with just an undergraduate degree, so doing a research-focused masters would be good, or just working on a summer project in a lab would be good experience too!

Thanks!
What about experience in clinical psychology? Would it be difficult to find since the work is very confidential?
Thanks!
What about experience in clinical psychology? Would it be difficult to find since the work is very confidential?

If you're over 18 it should be fine. You may need a DBS check.

Quick Reply

Latest