The Student Room Group

Veterinary science uni application

Hi I'm currently in year 12 studying chemistry biology and geography and hope to go into veterinary science at university. I was just wondering how useful an EPQ would be in relation to the selection process of unis and if they would choose someone with an EPQ over someone who doesn't? I am just aware of the amount of time it takes and whether it is worth it?
thanks
Original post by ellaxjonez
Hi I'm currently in year 12 studying chemistry biology and geography and hope to go into veterinary science at university. I was just wondering how useful an EPQ would be in relation to the selection process of unis and if they would choose someone with an EPQ over someone who doesn't? I am just aware of the amount of time it takes and whether it is worth it?
thanks

My personal opinion is that it’s a waste of time.
Unis won't even look at it so I personally wouldn't bother.
They will only look at A-level grades, work experience and interview performance.
It isn't something that would make the difference between getting an interview and not
But it is something that was brought up in 2/3 of my vet school interviews and I talked at length about it - so could it make the difference between getting an offer and not? absolutely
Reply 4
Original post by VMD100
It isn't something that would make the difference between getting an interview and not
But it is something that was brought up in 2/3 of my vet school interviews and I talked at length about it - so could it make the difference between getting an offer and not? absolutely

yep i've heard a lot of veterinary students say this, thankyou for your advice. I just dont know whether it will affect me getting an A in one of my alevels or not and
do you mind me asking what you got for your EPQ and what A-levels you got?
Reply 5
Original post by daveymcloughlin
My personal opinion is that it’s a waste of time.

hi did you study veterinary?
Reply 6
Original post by Nessie162
Unis won't even look at it so I personally wouldn't bother.
They will only look at A-level grades, work experience and interview performance.

hiya did you study veterinary ?
yep i've heard a lot of veterinary students say this, thankyou for your advice. I just dont know whether it will affect me getting an A in one of my alevels or not and

While I agree with VMD100 that it might be useful for an interview, I still don't think it's for everyone.
It depends how confident you are with your work. EPQ is obviously added on top of your A-levels which might distract you from your work.
If you miss your grades EPQ won't help you. Even talking about EPQ at the interview doesn't guarantee you an offer.
And it's not like you won't have anything to talk about at the interview if you don't do it either. :smile:

If you're confident you can get the minimum grades it can be a nice cherry on top, but you CAN get into vet schoo without it, and the EPQ itself won't affect your chances of getting in.

It also depends where you're applying to. Thinking back to my RVC interview, we didn't even have any stations where we could mention our school work.

3 A levels that count at grade AAA (Biology, Chemistry & History) and then an A* at EPQ
Reply 9
Original post by VMD100
3 A levels that count at grade AAA (Biology, Chemistry & History) and then an A* at EPQ

what did you do your EPQ on?
what did you do your EPQ on?

Arguments for/against badger culling - so history of disease, past control measures, incidence rates in cull v none cull zones, perturbation of badgers etc.
Original post by VMD100
Arguments for/against badger culling - so history of disease, past control measures, incidence rates in cull v none cull zones, perturbation of badgers etc.

ooo thats interesting, Im pretty stuck to what to do mine on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending