The Student Room Group

Applying for PhD programmes, doing qualification above the required.

I'm looking at applying for PhD programmes within the next couple months; the vast majority of which are stating the requirement is a 1st/2:1 in a relevant BSc (Hons).

I got a 1st in my BSc (Hons) and currently on an MSc course.

Does this mean I could potentially get an "unconditional" offer since I meet the educational requirements or would I be likely to be given a conditional offer on my eventual MSc classification?
Original post by CTLeafez
I'm looking at applying for PhD programmes within the next couple months; the vast majority of which are stating the requirement is a 1st/2:1 in a relevant BSc (Hons).

Does this mean I could potentially get an "unconditional" offer since I meet the educational requirements or would I be likely to be given a conditional offer on my eventual MSc classification?

I would guess the 2:1/1st requirement is just a minimum and so they could be making conditional offers on the basis of masters studies; it might depend on the strength of the gathered field applying to that particular programme/project as well.

While I suppose in theory they could make an unconditional offer on the basis of your undergrad study, I feel like they might be less inclined to do that in case you end up bombing your masters thesis/dissertation (which is probably closer to PhD level research than anything you did in UG). Especially if it's a funded project, as then they could end up having to take someone on a funded project which they may not be able to complete (and then end up potentially wasting the funding body's money, which would probably have pretty severe repercussions for the research group/department/uni involved depending on what the funding body is).

@PhoenixFortune may have some thoughts or advice?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I feel like they might be less inclined to do that in case you end up bombing your masters thesis/dissertation (which is probably closer to PhD level research than anything you did in UG). Especially if it's a funded project, as then they could end up having to take someone on a funded project which they may not be able to complete (and then end up potentially wasting the funding body's money, which would probably have pretty severe repercussions for the research group/department/uni

Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes sense, especially since they/the funding body is paying rather than me!
Original post by CTLeafez

As @artful_lounger said (thanks for the tag :smile:), your offer would most likely be based on your current circumstances, so it would be conditional on you achieving a merit or higher in your MSc and/or a certain mark in your dissertation (if they do want to offer you a place that is).

Of course, PhD applications are more complex and multi-faceted than those for bachelors and masters degrees, as it also relies on you writing a strong research proposal, performing well at interview, and (assuming you'll be applying for funding) getting through the various rounds of shortlisting to receive research council or university funding.
Reply 4
I got unconditionals for my apps, so it is a possibility

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending