The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

don't worry, I recently went to the Oxford open day, and it was full of very open-minded people...not to mention very multicultural
Babes, I really wouldn't worry about it :smile:

I'm black too (obviously so, see profile pic), and I might not be going to uni for another year, but I do know that most guys aren't bothered. If they're attracted to you, they're attracted to you, society doesn't generally breed racism these days (well, not nearly as much as in the past). We can't crucify white guys if they're not into certain 'black' features, i.e. flat, broad noses, or bigger bums than usual, or full lips - I'm not into some features on most black guys, doesn't make me racist.

And to be fair, anyone who's not going to get on you because you're black is a total waste of time, and you're better off without them anyway! If you stop seeing being black as an obstacle, and think of it as making you special and exotic instead, that confidence makes SUCH a difference, I swear. If you accept it as a part of who you are, and work it, you get all the attention white girls get and more :smile:
Reply 82
Anonymous
To be honest, I don't think you'll have to try harder. I'm mixed race white/black and go to Cambridge. I haven't had a problem here at all. I've been going out with a white, posh, public school boy (who I met at Cambridge) for the last 1.5 years, and have had plenty of male interest outside that. All white guys.

There aren't many black girls around, but I am friends with one fully black girl and she is going out with a posh private-school guy.

My boyfriend found me more attractive because I am 'exotic' and he'd never gone out with a black girl before or even had black friends. So it could be to your advantage. As long as you're intelligent, fun and vaguely attractive, you'll do well.

you are mixed race not black. mixed race (or light skin) black girls I think are more appealing to white guys ...that is probably why you are having some luck,

I have two cousins who I rarely see, one is mixed race ...one is a light skin black girl and last time I saw them both are going out with white guys.

I live in london and to be honest it's quite rare for me to see a white guy with a black girl who isn't mixed race or light skin. ..and when I do see one they are usually with a mixed race girl or light skin girl

to be honest (and i'm not being mean here) I think the OP will probably find it somewhat difficult to get with a white guy she likes.

I do feel kinda bad for you, it seems a tad unfair as black guys who like white girls don't find this as much of a problem.

I myself am a black male, and I was sent to school in an area where there were hardly any black people whilst growing up ..it was mainly whites, ..so I have a preference for white girls ...race has never been a real issue for me, i'm a little bit light skinned and I think that has helped with attraction as I seem to have no problem attracting the girls I like.

OP, I suggest you try and make yourself as approachable as you can (body language) because I have heard white guys say before that they find black girls unaproachable
im chinese, i always think that at uni people will just wonder if i can even speak english :redface:
ANM775
you are mixed race not black. mixed race (or light skin) black girls I think are more appealing to white guys ...that is probably why you are having some luck,

I live in london and to be honest it's quite rare for me to see a white guy with a black girl who isn't mixed race or light skin. ..and when I do see one they are usually with a mixed race girl or light skin girl

This is a sad truth, unfortunately. Being light skinned seems to make everything easier when you're black :frown:
Reply 85
Awww you sound lovely. Don't stress, they'll be falling over you! =p Of course, it's natural to worry if you feel you wont "fit in" somewhere, and whilst sure, it's true white students are a majority at oxford, there are plenty from other countries, cultures and ethnic backgrounds. You'll fit in fine and have a great time...

Anyone who treats ya differently or has any kind of problem is going to be a real minority, and obviously not worth bothering with. Appart from all of that, the "logical" answer is not everyone will find ya attractive..... same as anyone really! Which is what makes the people who do all the more special. :-)
Reply 86
Seven_Three
Creole isn't part of the negroid African race, creole isn't a part of what people call the black race.

Cool! :cool: You learn something new everyday! :p: I always thought it was like Brazilian/Portuguese black, although I suppose that's still not negroid? Hmmm.
Reply 87
Congratulations for getting a place at Oxford! :biggrin: Don't worry you'll be fine from the moment you get there - unless you decide to hang out with the snobby crowds, everyone is lovely :biggrin:
EskimoJo
Cool! :cool: You learn something new everyday! :p: I always thought it was like Brazilian/Portuguese black, although I suppose that's still not negroid? Hmmm.

Creole are mixed people, like Brazilians yes.
Reply 89
Seven_Three
Creole are mixed people, like Brazilians yes.

Im pretty sure that in some spanish speaking Latin American countries creole refers to the unmixed people of Spanish descent. I could be wrong though.
Reply 90
ANM775

I have two cousins who I rarely see, one is mixed race ...one is a light skin black girl and last time I saw them both are going out with white guys.

to be honest (and i'm not being mean here) I think the OP will probably find it somewhat difficult to get with a white guy she likes.

Fair enough.

But I did ALSO mention a friend who is fully black. She is dark, not 'Beyonce-black' (seriously, B is almost my colour - has someone been on the lightning cream?!) and doesn't wear a weave. Her hair is either plaited somehow or just afro. She's pretty but not 'white' pretty and her bf is a v. traditional sort of guy from a good private school and is white.

So - she has had no trouble at all and has not had to compromise.
Reply 91
Lol im 3/4 jamaican and 1/4 white and i prefer black girls tbh
anon please or delete as people on here know me

basically i kind of share your woes to an extent , but although i have not really had a real boyfriend, when i go out with my friends i get a fair amount of attention from guys mostly white guys (as where we go doesnt tend to have that many black or asian guys)

all my friends are extreamly gorgeous so i guess we all kind of compete unknowingly but i find that i get alot of attention if not the same amount of attention as my pretty white friends, just quite alot of it is unwanted, i'm quite picky and am not one to just pull i guy for the sake of it.
I always wonder if when there's a guy i like who wont notice me if my race has anything to do with it but then most of time its cus they have a girlfriend.

so what i'm trying to say is my woes are unfounded i think when you go to oxford just be yourself your going to stand out work that to your advatage if you say that 80% of people their are dyed blond push up bra jack wills wearing rahs then count yourself lucky that your not one, as being different is never a bad thing .
you say your pretty and in my eyes that all you need if that double that with a great personality and your good to go.
just make shure that when you go to oxford your not preocupied with what people will think of you and your just yourself! walk around with confidence and thats all you need.

ps to clarify i'm black as you've probably gathered im not light skined but nor am i dark skined im medium depending on whether i've been on holiday or not
Reply 93
Replace black with fat, unsociable, not on facebook etc etc and the story remains the same. H&R is full of people that are worried about some aspect of themselves. Although when in a room the OP might worry whether her race is an issue, it is quite likely that someone else will be worrying whether their weight or wonky tooth is an issue, bearing this in mind it is best to just get on with it.

It is difficult for you to be considered dumb or gangster, the usual black stereotypes at Oxford, presumably you got or will get the grades.
Reply 94
One of my best mates is a black girl and she is the prettiest girl in the school! All the lads would dream of having her!
From how you have described yourself it seems like you have nothing to worry about at all!
And if someone doesn't like you just because you are black then it says much more about them than you! Good luck!
i'm more or less like the thread poster and i have had no problem pulling. i'm in a relationship with a white guy right now, race has nothing to do with it. yes, you will get the idiots who only "wanna see what getting with a black girl is like" but other than that, there are some real decent guys out there. go to oxford and have fun!
I completely understand what the OP is saying Im a black girl and going 2 uni Im kinda worried as well in general. Obviously white guys prefer white women I mean I see that as pretty normal actually but we have to take people as individuals and try not 2 clump people 2gether. Everybody has their tastes which they're entitled to have but I reckon what ever will happen will happen for the best. Its probably best to try and be open minded about everyone and try not to be judgemental about guys of any race, colour etc.
I'm worried too
i perfer white men.
Reply 98
Look i am white i dont mind black girls. You can talk to me if you want
Reply 99
especially at Uni boys like to experiment alot more, and are more likely to be attracted than they already would be, so u wuldnt have a problem in the first place and going uni wuld help even more.

Latest

Trending

Trending